MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, insert name said:

Why do they keep doing that? That’s not a good combo at all. 

It's become their Sunday home uniform and yesterday was Sunday and they were the home team, it's probably as simple as that. But yes it's not an ideal combo and even less in game 1 of a postseason series.

I'm ok with some alternates in the postseason and I get that a lot of winning postseason teams get hot in one jersey and then continue to wear them like a good luck charm but I think game 1 of any series should be primary home vs primary road always. Keep the alternates as, you know, an alternate. Once the alternate is worn more then it's suddenly the primary.

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

No, what actually doesn't belong on this stage is the Rays' current retirement home branding. The hat was the LEAST objectionable part of their look.

I agree completely, which is why I didn't mind the players wearing the alternate cap and lime green socks last night on the national stage.

The Rays' primary look is atrocious. I don't mind the light blue alternate, but I wish they would do away with that uninspired cap logo and wordmark entirely. They need to rebrand themselves around that alternate cap logo, drawing inspiration from their inaugural look.

54 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A look that everyone hated.

Unpopular opinion: I didn't mind the gradient in the 90s. The full "Devil Rays" on the front was a bit too much, and I hated the use of black and purple (dark/90s colors) for their numbers and NOB. 

And it'll look a lot better if they just use an updated Rays mark in a better color scheme than boring navy and white...and win more games.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

34 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A look that everyone hated.

Well that's why I said inspiration; there are good elements to glean from it, such as the alternate cap they're wearing now. But I also genuinely like the inaugural look more than the current "sunburst" branding they have now.

I don't think they should have a gradient wordmark but they should draw from that color palette and use the lime green and/or yellow some more. Navy dominates what they wear now far too much. A franchise like the Rays should be bolder with their colors.

Much of the original branding was bogged down with the clunky name "Devil Rays" which thankfully isn't a concern anymore.

There's some discussion in the "MLB in 2021" thread about what the Rays should do. Someone shared this bobblehead:

hsq4v6iovu0gegulpacx.jpg

Honestly, I think indigo and lime green is a really cool look and I'd be happy if they went this direction. Ditch the black and navy, too. 

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

There's some discussion in the "MLB in 2021" thread about what the Rays should do. Someone shared this bobblehead:

hsq4v6iovu0gegulpacx.jpg

Honestly, I think indigo and lime green is a really cool look and I'd be happy if they went this direction. Ditch the black and navy, too. 

At the very least, it would be unique.  Nothing against double blue/yellow, but this is much more eye-catching.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 minute ago, SSmith48 said:

At the very least, it would be unique.  Nothing against double blue/yellow, but this is much more eye-catching.

There's not enough green in MLB, and that shade definitely wouldn't be mistaken for anything the A's ever wore. 

I'm just growing tired of navy, particularly navy alternates. I hope that the Braves don't win the World Series at all, but if they do so while wearing navy alternates, I'm going to lose my mind.

MLB needs to embrace other shades of color, especially for expansion teams like Tampa. A perfect opportunity to introduce some more green into the league.

The Padres re-introducing brown was one of the most exciting branding decisions MLB has made recently. I love it when a team is able to "own" a unique shade, which is one of the reasons why I want the Marlins to go back to teal.

That hat does not belong on a major-league field.

The shame about the Rays is that nothing they come up with will look as good as it could because it'll be worn 81+ times in their dreary dome.  I think navy + lime has potential, but nothing will look great under that lighting.  I bet their current home look might be better received if it was seen in bright sunshine.  Under natural sun 'rays'.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wouldnt mind of the Rays went to the previous green heavy color scheme they had during Longos early days.

Braves really hurting the look of game 1 tonight. This could have been a really good match-up. I dont hate the navy, big fan of the tribes navy during their ws runs, but game 1 should def be white v grey.

Speaking of, does this new navy alt basically look like the Indians or just me?

11 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Unpopular opinion: I didn't mind the gradient in the 90s. The full "Devil Rays" on the front was a bit too much, and I hated the use of black and purple (dark/90s colors) for their numbers and NOB. 

And it'll look a lot better if they just use an updated Rays mark in a better color scheme than boring navy and white...and win more games.

Ditch the black. 

Take the Navy blue and use a Indigo Blue that they are currently using using in their alt/retro/throwback sets. I think that would be a great look. 

Anyone got photoshop skills? 

19 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I love it when a team is able to "own" a unique shade, which is one of the reasons why I want the Marlins to go back to teal.

I'd argue that the Mariners now own teal more than the Marlins do, because of longevity but also for the increase in it's use for the M's in the last decade or so.

Archived