NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

I still think the black/red/yellow is the best look for the Canucks.  

Eeh, not really. Black (ANA, ARI, BOS, CGY, CAR, CHI, LAK, PIT, PHI, SJS, TBL alts), red (ARI, CGY, CAR, CHI, COL, FLA, NJD) and gold/yellow (ANA, BOS, FLA, LAK throwbacks, PIT, VGK) are all extremely common in the NHL. Blue (CAR Whalers alts, NSH, COL, TOR, TBL, WPG, WSH) and green (DAL, MIN, CAR Whalers alts, TOR St. Pats alts) are not as common.

Plus, blue/green/white is what the Canucks had when they came into the league, and no other current team uses that combo. It's a Canucks-exclusive color scheme, and honestly I find it infinitely better-looking then the 90's Skate, which really lives on the nostalgia of the '94 Cup Run. And the Canucks have been to the Cup Finals since then in the franchise's original blue/green/white.

42 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Eeh, not really. Black (ANA, ARI, BOS, CGY, CAR, CHI, LAK, PIT, PHI, SJS, TBL alts), red (ARI, CGY, CAR, CHI, COL, FLA, NJD) and gold/yellow (ANA, BOS, FLA, LAK throwbacks, PIT, VGK) are all extremely common in the NHL. Blue (CAR Whalers alts, NSH, COL, TOR, TBL, WPG, WSH) and green (DAL, MIN, CAR Whalers alts, TOR St. Pats alts) are not as common.

Plus, blue/green/white is what the Canucks had when they came into the league, and no other current team uses that combo. It's a Canucks-exclusive color scheme, and honestly I find it infinitely better-looking then the 90's Skate, which really lives on the nostalgia of the '94 Cup Run. And the Canucks have been to the Cup Finals since then in the franchise's original blue/green/white.

I get that there are other teams with similar colors.  I simply like the Canucks best in black/red/yellow.  Looks better to me than the blue/green.

49 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Blue (CAR Whalers alts, NSH, COL, TOR, TBL, WPG, WSH)... not as common.

You forgot about Buffalo, Columbus, Edmonton, Florida, Montreal, The Islanders, The Rangers and St. Louis (not to mention Vancouver themselves) who also wear blue.  As many teams (15) wear blue as wear black in varying amounts.

Both looks are legitimate, can we just agree on that. Everyone has their own opinion, neither is right or wrong. However, I prefer green and blue for the reasons that Dastardly states, and we are both right.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Yes, really. They're not similar at all. The proportion of color on the skate jerseys are much different than every team you listed.

They own a unique look with them. No one uses that shade of yellow either.

Vegas doesn't have a black jersey and uses "gold"

Boston is Black & Yellow

Pitt is Black & Yellow and use a larger area of yellow on their jerseys than BOS.

Calgary doesn't have a black jersey and black is a tertiary color.

It's actually okay if teams have the same colors - because they all use them differently.

Last i checked neither boston or pittsburgh or anaheim uses any red, so i dont see the similarity between them and the canucks outside of black and gold, and the gold anaheim uses isnt even close, which at that point you might as well say any team wearing blue and white is similar to the current canucks (jets, blues, cbj, nyi, nry, tampa, tor) since the amount of red on the 90s jersey is about the same (if not more) as the amount of green on the current ones. And if thats still a problem they could alter the stripes a bit to emphasize the red and make it the same width as the yellow stripes like the late 80s version.

spacer.png

And the flames are likely to drop black soon as well for a full time retro look. And vegas' main color is some greyish/green, which nowhere on the canucks 90s jersey. So i dont see a problem with them wearing these nor do i see them as getting lost in the shuffle and not standing out aesthetically from the rest of the league. And considering many people on this board constantly talk about the avs dropping black from their color scheme, as if their arent already enough teams wearing red/white/blue, i dont see how this argument holds water. 

9 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Most of those black jerseys are all thirds, only ana/bos/pit/lak use black as their primary, and cgy doesnt even have a black jersey. Compared to the amount of teams who wear blue as their primary (buf/cbj/stl/tor/tbl/wpg/nyi/nyr) its not even close. And since when is tampa bay or carolina's alt even remotely close or even in the same category as the 90s canucks? Hell the canes wore hartford throwbacks several times last season, and its blue/green/white and has a whale tail on it, its basically everything current canucks.

And when the pens came into the league they wore dark blue/powder blue/gold and white, and no one has that color scheme (except for maybe winnipeg's 3rd minus gold), and they look even more like the bruins than the 90s canucks do and they wore that color scheme for longer than vancouver originally wore the blue/green in the 70s. But does that mean that they should go back to this?

spacer.png

No, and even though the black and gold is very similar to boston, it just looks looks better, so they should always stick with it. 

9 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

Last i checked neither boston or pittsburgh or anaheim uses any red, so i dont see the similarity between them and the canucks outside of black and gold, and the gold anaheim uses isnt even close

The colour schemes aren't identical, but with the Ducks in particular they're similar enough where it's easy to see why comparisons could be made.

The original version of this Canucks sweater actually used orange before swapping it out for red, so there's that too.

--

The Winter Classic looked great, but I'll admit I'm not sure if I liked the Stars bringing back gold for the gloves and Bishop's goalie pads. Between that and the beige pants it felt like there was just a bit too much going on.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

8 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

Most of those black jerseys are all thirds, only ana/bos/pit/lak use black as their primary, and cgy doesnt even have a black jersey. Compared to the amount of teams who wear blue as their primary (buf/cbj/stl/tor/tbl/wpg/nyi/nyr) its not even close. And since when is tampa bay or carolina's alt even remotely close or even in the same category as the 90s canucks? Hell the canes wore hartford throwbacks several times last season, and its blue/green/white and has a whale tail on it, its basically everything current canucks.

And when the pens came into the league they wore dark blue/powder blue/gold and white, and no one has that color scheme (except for maybe winnipeg's 3rd minus gold), and they look even more like the bruins than the 90s canucks do and they wore that color scheme for longer than vancouver originally wore the blue/green in the 70s. But does that mean that they should go back to this?

spacer.png

No, and even though the black and gold is very similar to boston, it just looks looks better, so they should always stick with it. 

Agreed, the penguins should stay black and gold. The Canucks on the other hand should stay blue and green.

7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The colour schemes aren't identical, but with the Ducks in particular they're similar enough where it's easy to see why comparisons could be made.

The original version of this Canucks sweater actually used orange before swapping it out for red, so there's that too.

--

The Winter Classic looked great, but I'll admit I'm not sure if I liked the Stars bringing back gold for the gloves and Bishop's goalie pads. Between that and the beige pants it felt like there was just a bit too much going on.

They're not identical? They're not even similar. Were not talking about the canucks using orange like they did in the 80s, and the ducks gold and orange isnt anywhere close to the red/gold vancouver used in the 90s. Had the ducks at least worn a similar gold like boston, or vancouver used a vegas/khaki gold like the pens/ducks did you might have a point, but outside of them both wearing black they have nothing in common. Terrible comparison. 

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Saw the Rangers-Avs game tonight and I gotta agree with those of you who want black gone from the Avs road look. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think the black works really well with the white jersey and looks more out of place on the home jersey.  I would keep it in the colour scheme and downplay the blue, if anything, which I know isn't the popular opinion.

Archived