2019 MLB Season

Gary

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's gotten tossed, what... 12 times in his career? I would've assumed that everybody, even Philadelphia, would've known what they were getting from him. This shouldn't be too big of a deal though; it'll blow over.

At least he's not boring.

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Speaking of the Yankees they are the ultimate next man up team. Is there any team in MLB or sports history this unlucky with injuries in a season?

The Mets almost every other season. 

XM4KeeA.png

The Reds are 9-13, which isn't lighting the world on fire, but they're starting to find their bats and they were 1-8 so things could be worse. In fact, at this time last year they were 4-18 so things could be a lot worse. 

EDIT: I'm hearing rumblings on the street that famous adult child Zach Hample was at the game last night and got shutout and left GABP with zero foul balls or homeruns. That's the report I've heard. If true, that's something every baseball fan can get behind. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 4/23/2019 at 3:16 PM, dont care said:

So sounds like Harper is already rubbing teammates the wrong way and has wore out his welcome in philly getting called out by jake Arista saying he shouldn’t be getting himself ejected over balls and strikes.

No idea at all where you’re gettting that from. He agreed with Arieta, and there’s been literally no “grumblings” about Harper from players or fans. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well the Cardinals just got the three game series sweep over the Brewers to even their season series to 5-5 and maintain the best record in this early NL season. Milwaukee and St. Louis don't meet again until August after playing three series already. Sometime schedules are weird.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

On 4/23/2019 at 3:16 PM, dont care said:

So sounds like Harper is already rubbing teammates the wrong way and has wore out his welcome in philly getting called out by jake Arista saying he shouldn’t be getting himself ejected over balls and strikes.

It’s not a good look, but it’s also something that will be forgotten about within a week.

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Even if he has worn out his welcome so what? Reggie Jackson wore out his welcome in the Yankee clubhouse before ever even suiting up. They still won back-to-back World Series, because games are won on the field, not in the locker room.

My main concern would be whether or not his defense will continue to be an issue.

The early results have been inconclusive.

Some metrics such as defensive runs saved sill rate Harper as the same putrid outfielder he was last year.

But other metrics such as UZR put Harper right around average for the league.

A lot of this difference can be explained away by small sample size, as well as the inherent flaws associated with each metric, which is why there is no one defensive stat. But that said, it is still odd to see the two metrics this far apart on a player.

He has not worn out his welcome or caused any issue whatsoever. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It would've meant more if he was with a Montreal-based team.

No it wouldn’t, because then it wouldn’t be his major league debut 

16 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

And the game will be on MLb Network outside Canada and NorCal so everyone can watch it.

Its also the free game of the day on the MLB.TV app.

Anyone with an internet connection not subject to blackout rules can watch.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Reds and Mets combined for 2 runs over the last two games. Good sport we have here. This is fun. 

Giants vs. Reds tonight. Get ready for your eyes to bleed.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Giants vs. Reds tonight. Get ready for your eyes to bleed.

For all the talk about how the Reds were going to turn some heads in 2019 and surprise some people, they are tied with the Giants for the second-worst record in the National League.

Puig has been atrocious out of the gate, batting just .167 with two home runs in 107 AB's against righties. Matt Kemp has been a complete non-factor and is on the DL after starting the year batting just .200

Suarez has regressed as has Tucker Barnhart who might be in danger of losing his job as the starting catcher. As has Scott Schebler on top of him playing out of position, because the Reds don't have a true center fielder. (Although Nick Senzel may change that.)

Bats is just hitting .133 against lefties this year, and that's coming off a year where he hit .260 against lefites with no gap-power. If he can't turn it around, his days as being a full-time starter might be over going forward. No longer is he a part of the conversation when discussing the best first basemen in the game.

I don't think the lineup is as bad as their early season stats make them out to be. Losing Scooter Gennett has undoubtedly had a significant impact on that lineup as well. But even with Gennett, they are still the 4th best offense in that division.

Gennett, Suarez, and Senzel are the only three position players they have with any real value. With everyone else, there's ample room to upgrade, and the Reds are going to have to in order to get to the level of Milwaukee, Chicago, and St. Louis.

What I do like about Cincinnati is that they may be in a better position than any other team in baseball to move pitchers at the deadline. DeSlafani, Grey, and Roark would all net at least a B-level prospect in return, and I don't see the point in keeping this staff together when the team is at least another year, likely two from being serious playoff contenders.

Castillo might be a legitimate staff ace, but the rest are middle of the rotation starters off to good starts.

Jesse Winker might be another piece worth considering moving because they have a good amount of outfield depth to replace him with. The only thing the Reds need to succeed is a franchise-level position player to build around. Nick Senzel might be that type of player. Taylor Trammell could be another, but neither is there yet, and there's nobody else on the 25-man roster that's ever going to develop into that type of player.

2019 could still end up being the year the Reds started to turn things around. It just may not happen the way the front office expected.

Archived