Eagles want Kelly Green Jersey in 2020

Sec19Row53

3 hours ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

The NFL or any supplier would never agree to that, thank goodness

You misspelled "unfortunately".

The Vikings have only worn two jerseys since December 1, 2016 (that's 38 straight games, including two entire seasons, if you're counting, which I obviously am) and the NFL and Nike still seem to be collecting copious amounts of money.  

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

why can't they just spray paint the helmets for the kelly green gm. Don't they spray them every wk after they get scared up. And lol that it's okay for the 18-23 yr olds to use 2,3,4 helmets but the grown men can only use 1 for safety reasons. Just fit them all for 2 helmets during training camp. 

Players change helmets all season, I've even seen them switch during a game. Jared Goff wore the backup QB's helmet in the playoffs when his mic wasn't working. All of that is okay, but the color is what causes injury? I'm not buying it. If they're afraid of NFL teams wearing hundreds of helmets like college teams that's fine, say that, but don't lie and make dumb excuses. 

3 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Players change helmets all season, I've even seen them switch during a game. Jared Goff wore the backup QB's helmet in the playoffs when his mic wasn't working. All of that is okay, but the color is what causes injury? I'm not buying it. If they're afraid of NFL teams wearing hundreds of helmets like college teams that's fine, say that, but don't lie and make dumb excuses. 

Sure, players choose to switch helmets, taking on the responsibility of that choice themselves. It's different, in terms of liability, when the team comes to the players and tells them they have no choice but to wear a different helmet, because, you know... cool throwbacks!

17 hours ago, bucky_bleichert said:

96053-004-859609B6.jpg

Dude... that's Martin Van Buren.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, simtek34 said:

But the Rams always has Navy helmets, they were never Royal so it’s an accurate Throwback.

Right, but I guess I'm talking more of a way to incorporate kelly green into the uniform without having to change the existing helmet. So an alt rather than a pure throwback. 

I’m in favour of the one helmet rule for team identification and branding, but it is disappointing to see so many throwbacks and alternates either sidelined or altered to fit the rule. I don’t want to see teams have separate helmets for road and home like the CFL, but I would like to see it relaxed for alternates.

And yes I’m aware of the tenuous link between multiple helmets and concussions.

22 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I’m in favour of the one helmet rule for team identification and branding, but it is disappointing to see so many throwbacks and alternates either sidelined or altered to fit the rule. I don’t want to see teams have separate helmets for road and home like the CFL, but I would like to see it relaxed for alternates.

Those are two separate and distinct rules, and it seems this conversation (not necessarily you) is conflating them.

1. The prohibition against home and road helmets, requiring that a team have one helmet for all regular uniforms.  The only exception is for limited-use throwbacks.  That's been in place for a while; we first had confirmation in 2002 when the Seahawks were denied permission to have blue helmets at home and silver on the road.
  2. The requirement that teams not change shells during the season.  That was introduced in 2013, so players could keep using discontinued helmet models without having to switch during the season.

Even if #2 is disingenuous, and even if #2 is repealed, #1 would (and should) remain in effect.

27 minutes ago, Buc said:

Dude... that's Martin Van Buren.

Little known fact -- All of his close friends called him Steve.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Those are two separate and distinct rules, and it seems this conversation (not necessarily you) is conflating them.

1. The prohibition against home and road helmets, requiring that a team have one helmet for all regular uniforms.  The only exception is for limited-use throwbacks.  That's been in place for a while; we first had confirmation in 2002 when the Seahawks were denied permission to have blue helmets at home and silver on the road.
  2. The requirement that teams not change shells during the season.  That was introduced in 2013, so players could keep using discontinued helmet models without having to switch during the season.

Even if #2 is disingenuous, and even if #2 is repealed, #1 would (and should) remain in effect.

That one is sort of going down the slippery slope. What the Rams did last year (by switching decals) is close to having a home and road helmet.  I tried to get at that earlier, but didn't quite put it in that manner.

In other words, a team probably COULD have a home and road helmet, as long as the shell color remained the same. So maybe the Rams were navy facemasks and yellow horns at home, but white facemasks and white horns on the road.

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That one is sort of going down the slippery slope. What the Rams did last year (by switching decals) is close to having a home and road helmet.  I tried to get at that earlier, but didn't quite put it in that manner.

In other words, a team probably COULD have a home and road helmet, as long as the shell color remained the same. So maybe the Rams were navy facemasks and yellow horns at home, but white facemasks and white horns on the road.

I'm really not sure that we know that to be the case.  The original rule was intended to keep the branding constant, since helmets alone are often used as stand-ins for the team.  I really don't think the Seahawks would have been any more successful in 2002 if the two helmets they wanted to use had the same color shells but different decals, because that would also have run afoul of the intent.

The Rams are a very unusual case; with their move back to LA and slow-rolling rebrand, the NFL gave them special permission to wear their throwbacks more than is usually allowed.  I'm not sure any other team would be granted that, because of the perception you raise, that it would essentially create home and road helmets.

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'm really not sure that we know that to be the case.  The original rule was intended to keep the branding constant, since helmets alone are often used as stand-ins for the team.  I really don't think the Seahawks would have been any more successful in 2002 if the two helmets they wanted to use had the same color shells but different decals, because that would also have run afoul of the intent.

The Rams are a very unusual case; with their move back to LA and slow-rolling rebrand, the NFL gave them special permission to wear their throwbacks more than is usually allowed.  I'm not sure any other team would be granted that, because of the perception you raise, that it would essentially create home and road helmets.

I totally agree that we don't know this to be the case, but we are sure treading all over that bright line 🙂

BTW - put me firmly in the two jersey one helmet camp!

It's where I sit.

40 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That's a great point. Many teams change the decals on their helmets during the year that change the look of their brand:

- Rams

- Denver 

- Miami

- Atlanta

- Browns (removed stripes in pre-season)

- Giants

- Buffalo

So that goes against the helmet being an untouchable brand element. I mean I get what the NFL is trying to say, but either enforce it fully or let it go. 

13 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

why can't they just spray paint the helmets for the kelly green gm. Don't they spray them every wk after they get scared up. And lol that it's okay for the 18-23 yr olds to use 2,3,4 helmets but the grown men can only use 1 for safety reasons. Just fit them all for 2 helmets during training camp. 

It's just a CYA effort by that clown Goodell. I'd love to see the 'research' that the NFL is using to justify this, considering that colleges don't seem to be concerned about it at all.

Maybe some team should just pull a 'Tucker McElroy' and just wear another helmet anyway. It worked for the Rams unis, and now we're on a slippery slope:

spacer.png 

"Well, suppose we leave our midnight green helmets in the locker room and go out there wearin' our kelly green 1974-95 helmets anyway? Whatcha gonna do about that? You gonna stop us? Goodell? You're gonna look pretty funny tryin' to eat corn on the cob with no (censored) teeth."

I almost wouldn't mind them doing a double green. Replace the black with Kelly Green, but then I feel like that would feel off on the current set, especially since the midnight green feels closer to a teal. But I could see it working a bit.

1 hour ago, Bluefalcon said:

I'd love to see the 'research' that the NFL is using to justify this, considering that colleges don't seem to be concerned about it at all.

Why should colleges care about it?  Their players aren’t unionized, and the effects of CTE are more likely to surface long down the road, when the schools can claim plausible deniability. 

If your standard is really “the NCAA ignores the problem, so it must not be a problem”, then we’ve got a long list of things to talk about.  

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

There’s no scientific link. It’s a liability issue. As OSV put it so well up there, the NFL has taken the position that neither the league, nor one of its teams, will tell a player that he or she has to switch out their helmet for a purely aesthetic reason (a throwback uniform). Players can wear as many helmets as they want, so long as they are making that choice, thus indemnifying the team and league.

To the group, remember a few years back when the Jets wore a white mask for Color Rush, then started sprinkling it into their regular rotation? Does anyone have any reputable information on why that was allowed, but switching decals and whatnot is generally not allowed, other than for special event games like Color Rush and throwbacks?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This debate has been dragged out here often enough that we're just going over old business, but some things need repeating. There doesn't have to be some "study"... And there probably wasn't. All the NFL really needed was the suggestion on the part of one of their many lawyers that the multiple helmet issue might come up in some future lawsuit. If the family of a brain scrambled player mentions to the jury the the team demanded he stop wearing the helmet he was used to so they could better sell throwback jerseys, that's not going to look good.

The fact that it also prevents some "cutting edge" team from trotting out ugly alternate helmets is just a glorious side benefit.

Mods, Can we make discussing the pros/cons of the one-helmet rule for concussions off limits on sports-logos threads, like we do for the Native American debate?

it derails every single thread and becomes nothing but passionate-but-uninformed arguments (on both sides) that ultimately results in “ok cool, so you value a throwback over someone’s brain” or “it’s stupid, college kids wear 30 helmets, gooddell is a clown and a sissy” or worse. 

I’m not sure that whether the one-helmet-rule is effective or not has anything to do with the aesthetic merits of the Eagles Kelly green uniforms. The fact is that the rule is the rule so IMO the discussion should be around how to do it within the confines of said rule. Go somewhere else to argue the rule. Maybe start an amateur neurology thread in SiG. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The nfl is losing tons of money with losing out on the throwback games and with more teams wanting to wear throwbacks I’m sure there are studies right now to figure out how much time a player must wear a helmet for it to be safe to play in so I would watch for a two helmet rule only if the second has a certain amount of hours worn before playing a game in. 

Archived