Eagles want Kelly Green Jersey in 2020

Sec19Row53

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

But the NFL has said that.  That’s why they instituted the first rule, which we learned about in 2002. 

That is totally separate from the safety issue, which was announced in 2013.

Why are we still conflating the two unrelated rules?  That’s the only disingenuous argument. 

Exactly. They’re not hiding behind anything. They solicited an opinion. That opinion was, essentially, “Well, it can’t hurt,” so they decided to stop forcing players to switch helmets for aesthetic reasons.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I don’t think anyone believes the NFL is thrilled about not being able to do the full run of throwback uniforms.  There’s lots of money in throwback jersey sales, and the league is leaving a good chunk of that on the table by not being able to showcase the Bucs’ creamsicles or the Eagles’ kelly on the field.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:14 PM, VikWings said:

Hopefully they win this battle.

Nothing wrong with limiting the 2nd helmet to throwbacks only like they did before. No one's asking for teams to become Oregon.

I don't considered the Eagles in kelly green, Bucs in creamsicle, etc, throwbacks once or twice a year as muddling their brand. At least not any more than any other 3rd jersey or even alternate pants option. Definitely not any more than the color rush abominations that have been trotted out the last 3 years.

Yeah, you go to an Eagles game, Throwbacks make up at least 35%-40%.
A winged helmet is a winged helmet...you aren't losing anything in that translation.

On 3/28/2019 at 3:56 PM, WBeltz said:

I almost wouldn't mind them doing a double green. Replace the black with Kelly Green, but then I feel like that would feel off on the current set, especially since the midnight green feels closer to a teal. But I could see it working a bit.

every way I've ever seen it done or tried to make work looks awful...they'd need to revise the midnight and not go with a pure Kelly

11 hours ago, Kiltman said:

every way I've ever seen it done or tried to make work looks awful...they'd need to revise the midnight and not go with a pure Kelly

If they replaced the midnight green with Kelly and replaced black with midnight green, it could work with the current look.. I'd keep the black and just replace midnight with Kelly though.. same look and design, just brighter green

On 3/27/2019 at 3:59 PM, hawk36 said:

NFL should change this rule (or at least quit trying to say it's for player safety which is a complete fallacy).

No, they shouldn’t. 

And how much safer a one helmet policy is isn’t the point. 

The NFL is currently coming to grips with the dangerous nature of their game re: head injuries.

This is a legal thing meant to cover their asses because if there’s even a 1% chance different helmets for throwback games increase the risk of injury by even a tiny bit? Then they can’t allow it. This isn’t noble on the NFL’s part, it’s just a calculated move to cover all their bases. 

And you know what? I don’t blame them. It’s not worth the risk for a handful of throwback games. The only people who care are us uni nerds and we’re a VERY niche crowd. 

Can we just have a "1-helmet rule" megathread?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The only people who care are us uni nerds and we’re a VERY niche crowd. 

1 hour ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think a lot of posters here have a very low sense of self awareness when it comes to this.

Are you trying to tell me that there are people out there that don’t care about the color of the squatchee matching the color of the brim of a baseball cap when the brim contrasts from the rest of the cap? Outrageous!

On 3/30/2019 at 10:13 PM, Gothamite said:

Must be KILLING the NFL to leave that money on the table. 

Someone should run the numbers: how much $$ would the NFL make if they allowed teams to wear proper throwbacks? This could then be compared to how much $$ the NFL expects to pay out in concussion settlements over the next 50 years or so. I hate to say it, but I think the concussion settlements are going to cost WAY more than any $$ they get from selling throwbacks.

Not that I agree with this...I think the 1-helmet rules is based on dubious reasoning and is basically a CYA maneuver by the NFL. If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they designe a throwback shell/wrapping for NFL helmets? Yes, I'll stop yelling at the cloud now...

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Given how much abuse helmets take, and how we see even standard decals chip and flake over the course of a game, it doesn't really surprise me that nobody's yet developed a durable wrap that can be applied overnight.

Aren't Michigan's helmets blue decals on a yellow shell (or is that an urban myth)? That's a pretty substantial coverage and not sure how they'd do that. Must be painted?

19 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Aren't Michigan's helmets blue decals on a yellow shell (or is that an urban myth)? That's a pretty substantial coverage and not sure how they'd do that. Must be painted?

No, it is first painted yellow and then the decals off the wing pattern are put on. Then they paint the whole thing blue and remove the decals to for the yellow stripes.

24 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

They start off all maize, are then taped off by hand using only the eyeball technique, by a guy whose been doing them for decades, and the blue is painted on top. It’s possible they’ve updated the process due to old age or the greater number of helmet designs available now, but that’s how they were done circa 5 years ago.

EDIT: ^ There you go. Still painted, but it looks like (at least at Riddell) they have pre-cut masks so that anyone at the factory can do them now.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

36 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They start off all maize, are then taped off by hand using only the eyeball technique, by a guy whose been doing them for decades, and the blue is painted on top. It’s possible they’ve updated the process due to old age or the greater number of helmet designs available now, but that’s how they were done circa 5 years ago.

EDIT: ^ There you go. Still painted, but it looks like (at least at Riddell) they have pre-cut masks so that anyone at the factory can do them now.

The precut masks are for schools that aren’t Michigan, the actual Michigan helmets are done by hand by the 70 year old at the end of the video. 

13 hours ago, dont care said:

The precut masks are for schools that aren’t Michigan, the actual Michigan helmets are done by hand by the 70 year old at the end of the video. 

According to the video, Shutt Michigan helmets are done by the 70 year old. Riddell Michigan helmets go to the Riddell factory. 

What's interesting is that the Michigan equipment manager said a player has the same helmet all four years because it's fitted and worn in...but I thought all helmets had to be refitted after reconditioning?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived