Are there any sports you simply don't "get?"

Quillz

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

E-“sports”.

Why any adult would want to watch another adult play video games is beyond me. 

The Flyers are building a 3,500-seat e-“sports” stadium in our sports complex. It’ll be the home of the Phila Fusion “team”. 

:censored: Absurd.  

esports-stadium.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

E-“sports”.

This...and the fact that people now get paid or scholarships for it is mind blowing. We watch real sports because almost all of us will never be able to experience what it is like to be in the NFL or NBA. Just like watching someone bowl on TV. I can drive a few blocks and throw a ball down an alley. If I can experience the same thing, why watch someone else do it? Anyone with a couple hundred bucks can go out an buy a video game system and play madden or NBA 2k.

Soccer, MMA and Boxing are the real sports I don't get.  

Just now, Seadragon76 said:

Cricket. No matter how much I could watch, I still don't understand the rules of this sport.

And if you ask an Englishman, an Indian or an Aussie, you'll somehow end up more confused than just going in blind :D

All kidding aside, you're good once it sinks in that cricket and baseball are bizarro versions of one another.  Really.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

All kidding aside, you're good once it sinks in that cricket and baseball are bizarro versions of one another. 

There is some truth to this, and this truth manifests itself in both cricket and baseball being forever incomprehensible to anyone who did not grow up with them.

You can learn soccer as an adult. You can learn American football as an adult. But I strongly doubt the possibility of ever really learning baseball or cricket if you come to these sports as an adult.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 hours ago, Quillz said:

For me, it's curling. No matter how many times I watch it, no matter how often the strategy is explained to me, I just cannot possibly find curling interesting or engaging.

This was me until about 3 years ago. My friend invited me to try playing and I did complete 180 and now play weekly. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

32 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

This was me until about 3 years ago. My friend invited me to try playing and I did complete 180 and now play weekly. 

To be fair – and I say this as someone who has curled on and off for probably 20 years now – it's far more engaging when you're out on the ice and playing as opposed to sitting and watching. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

E-“sports”.

I might understand watching a Let's Play of a game you can't afford right now. I might even understand watching a Let's Play because you like the person doing said Let's Play. 

I don't understand for the life of me how there is a market for watching people play Overwatch or Fortnite much less a big enough one to have a major city plunk down 50,000,000 dollars on what is effectively an oversized gymnasium. 

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Cricket. No matter how much I could watch, I still don't understand the rules of this sport.

I think my favourite television show of all time is Family Guy.  And it makes me laugh hardest when it addresses things from Britain.  Here is a short bit on cricket.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

33 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

To be fair – and I say this as someone who has curled on and off for probably 20 years now – it's far more engaging when you're out on the ice and playing as opposed to sitting and watching. 

100% Agreed

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Lacrosse. A few years ago I told myself I’d try to get into watching and learning the sport. I watched one game and just didn’t care for it. Some of the plays are incredible, but other than that it’s just boring.

I used to not really care for hockey either until I went to a Capitals game and immediately thought more positive of the sport.

Just now, mr.negative15 said:

100% Agreed

Although I did learn a new drinking game over the weekend that makes watching curling much more fun, at least for an end; maybe two if you win. 😆

8 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Although I did learn a new drinking game over the weekend that makes watching curling much more fun, at least for an end; maybe two if you win. 😆

Well, drinking is a big part of Curling, lol.

Archived