2019 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIV

canzman

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ark said:

The Giants throwbacks make good alternates, but with the modern templates their primary uniforms are much better. 

I really like the alts, but just a few times a year. The Giant primaries are classy, and unique with no blue on the road jersey and no red on the home jersey. NY helmets are sharp, just wish the white home pants would go away. Gray is good for home and away. Might be an unpopular opinion...

12 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

An NFL first: The Cowboys will be wearing blue unis against the Vikings for the first time EVER at HOME nonetheless.  Going to be very awkward and an eyesore to see the Vikes wear white against Dallas since it usually purple against the Cowboys white whether the game is in Dallas or Minneapolis.

It's fine with me - Vikes' fan since '70!   I love the current white over purple as their best look.  It is crisp, and proportionate to the other way, there is more purple square inch than white.  One fault is the socks, not uncommon to football unis as they leotard into the purple pants - Need Yellow Ones!

One very ACD I have about football unis that really bothers me with my Purple Gang.  Arm sleeves/accessories.  I want white compression undershirts or long sleeves on all the time when they wear purple tops - the contrast would make way bettter "Pop" for the jerseys.  I truly believe the Vikings owners or Equipment managers have some type of uniform code policy that bans white compression undershirts of short or long sleeves with all jersey versions.  No guy ever wears white since Patterson was on this team several seasons back for a few games.

I can tolerate the purple sleeves and such with the white tops, but don't players of all teams realize your arms look bigger in white sleeves, compression undershirts, compression sleeves than dark ones?  He-man sport - look stronger, play it!

#91 - bad look below.

spacer.png

I actually tweeted to Kirk to wear white undershirts with Purple tops off-season to no luck....🙄

spacer.png

Finally, biggest guy on the Vikings not looking as strong and menacing as he could with white sleeves instead!

spacer.png

8 hours ago, crosfam said:

I really like the alts, but just a few times a year. The Giant primaries are classy, and unique with no blue on the road jersey and no red on the home jersey. NY helmets are sharp, just wish the white home pants would go away. Gray is good for home and away. Might be an unpopular opinion...

To each their own, but I think the grey is kinda gross. White looks a lot cleaner.

Its definitely odd the away jerseys are designed as if they wore red home jerseys, but I love em and hope they never change.

8 hours ago, AVGuy said:

It's fine with me - Vikes' fan since '70!   I love the current white over purple as their best look.  It is crisp, and proportionate to the other way, there is more purple square inch than white.  One fault is the socks, not uncommon to football unis as they leotard into the purple pants - Need Yellow Ones!

One very ACD I have about football unis that really bothers me with my Purple Gang.  Arm sleeves/accessories.  I want white compression undershirts or long sleeves on all the time when they wear purple tops - the contrast would make way bettter "Pop" for the jerseys.  I truly believe the Vikings owners or Equipment managers have some type of uniform code policy that bans white compression undershirts of short or long sleeves with all jersey versions.  No guy ever wears white since Patterson was on this team several seasons back for a few games.

I can tolerate the purple sleeves and such with the white tops, but don't players of all teams realize your arms look bigger in white sleeves, compression undershirts, compression sleeves than dark ones?  He-man sport - look stronger, play it!

#91 - bad look below.

spacer.png

I actually tweeted to Kirk to wear white undershirts with Purple tops off-season to no luck....🙄

spacer.png

Finally, biggest guy on the Vikings not looking as strong and menacing as he could with white sleeves instead!

spacer.png

I believe players are allowed to wear any team color for sleeves and undershirts but the team usually provides undershirts that are the same color to all players which is why most of the time you see everyone wearing the same color sleeves. I've noticed Stefon Diggs and Adam Theilen have worn yellow sleeves a couple of times this year though while their teammates wore purple or white sleeves. 

On 11/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, Old School Fool said:

Why didn't the Chiefs use the throwback field design if they were going to wear throwback helmets? Dumb move.

Just because KC reverted their facemask to the older gray one for the Vikings game doesn't make it a 'throwback' helmet. They would've had to have also used the older 1963-1973 helmet decal which was larger which I myself liked alot better, especially since they don't wear a centre helmet stripe. The black jagged edges of the KC arrow were also added to the decal logo when they downsized it.

I agree with you about using a throwback gridiron design for any home game which a team wears their  throwbacks. I love when Miami does it and also when it was done in San Diego while the Chargers were still there, where they belong.  

Why the Bills don't do it I fail to understand. One cannot use the 'field-turf' excuse because it was done at Ford Field when both Minnesota and Buffalo had to play home games there.

If a team wants to go throwback, go all out. I already mentioned how KC didn't wear their larger AFL helmet logo but the jerseys too.  Their TV numbers had always been on the sleeves up until a few years ago when they moved them to the shoulders and added striping to the edge of the sleeves.  

Another reason why I wish the Bills would use their 1962/'63 throwbacks instead of the faux '65 road version is that they'd remain totally genuine without having to move the TV numbers around and they'd look even more different than the current set.

spacer.png

Super Bowl IV    Vikings vs Chiefs   11-JAN-1970   Tulane Stadium   New Orleans, LA

spacer.png

AFL Divisional Playoff    Patriots vs Bills   28-DEC-1963   War Memorial Stadium   E Buffalo, NY

(12) Daryle Lamonica

The Giants WCR looks good, but they may also be cursed.  Now 0-4 since they brought them a few years ago, with the results being one sided.  I suggest they should go the way opposite of the Rams and replace the current away set with the WCR throwback set but for road games only.  With perhaps a new home set in a couple years, an updated 1980-99 version.

OTOH, I still miss the days of the old 2000-04 away unis, that was one of their best looks if not the best.  Perfect blend of red and blue trim and the gray pants popped out more.  Their current away look is okay but it just doesn’t excite me.

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, s3ahawkz said:

I believe players are allowed to wear any team color for sleeves and undershirts but the team usually provides undershirts that are the same color to all players which is why most of the time you see everyone wearing the same color sleeves. I've noticed Stefon Diggs and Adam Theilen have worn yellow sleeves a couple of times this year though while their teammates wore purple or white sleeves. 

So, I am likely correct in summizing it is the ownership or Equipment manager making this call for always Purple under shirts of either long or short sleeves.

I used to believe it was a "laundry-simpler" thing,  maybe they don't like the stained and dirty whites post game vs. darks showing none of that....heck, I do that with my choice of golf shirts for years now - I never wear white ones!  Look like crap all the time.

But, I've seen many .jpgs of Vikings' practice shots both indoors/out for the past several seasons with all their players sporting long sleeves of white or even grey.  Laundry wouldn't matter then...🤨

Owners are actually "dressing" the team.

2 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

The Giants WCR looks good, but they may also be cursed.  Now 0-4 since they brought them a few years ago, with the results being one sided.

Or maybe the uniforms don’t have an effect and the team is just bad? I mean, their record in non-color rush games isn’t much better 😂

5 hours ago, AVGuy said:

So, I am likely correct in summizing it is the ownership or Equipment manager making this call for always Purple under shirts of either long or short sleeves.

I used to believe it was a "laundry-simpler" thing,  maybe they don't like the stained and dirty whites post game vs. darks showing none of that....heck, I do that with my choice of golf shirts for years now - I never wear white ones!  Look like crap all the time.

But, I've seen many .jpgs of Vikings' practice shots both indoors/out for the past several seasons with all their players sporting long sleeves of white or even grey.  Laundry wouldn't matter then...🤨

Owners are actually "dressing" the team.

The Seahawks players always wear white undershirts and sleeves with the white jerseys but when they wear navy or grey jerseys they have navy undershirts and sleeves and color rush they have green accessories. It's up to the teams to decide what they want to do every game. Some teams like to use the same color for every uniform while others like to switch it up depending on what they are wearing

7 hours ago, gothedistance said:

The Cowboys blue jersey is considered bad luck, right? Because I think the black cat saved Dallas from losing to the Giants.

Sure but they get a saving grace when they lose a pivotal game wearing the white jerseys.  But when they lose with the blue jerseys, it’s headline news!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

I guess this is a thing now. Another case of "Let's never wear this combo for any reason and then suddenly wear it every chance we get"

Probably it's homage to the AFL by wearing the jersey color better associated with the Oilers. And the Oilers did play the Chargers and Chiefs (nee Texans) in the first three AFL championships.

I noticed the thing about the Titans too. When columbia blue was the alternate the first, from 2003-2007, they would always wear them against the Texans. Like a homage to their former existence in Houston. Tennessee would also wear them against the Raiders (2003, 2005, and 2007). They wore them against the Chiefs in 2004. These seem like homage to the old AFL. I guess they wanted to go all in this time in 2019 with the two AFC West teams on their schedule.

Buffalo's white throwbacks are great. I want them to stay around. Next year they have the AFC and NFC West. I hope their throwback game is against the Chargers. The powder blue against the Bill's white throwback would be fabulous. It would make sense because of Buffalo's two AFL championships coming against the Chargers.

The Chargers all navy is awesome. It was outstanding with the Packers. I wish they wore it one extra game instead of just once. Maybe they don't do WAH anymore when they move into the new stadium. Giving room to wear one of their other colored jersey more.

20 hours ago, gothedistance said:

Chargers all navy is awesome. It was outstanding with the Packers. I wish they wore it one extra game instead of just once. Maybe they don't do WAH anymore when they move into the new stadium. Giving room to wear one of their other colored jersey more.

I'm going to have to disagree with the chargers all navy being awesome. They should have the home opener in all white, then 4 home games in power blue, 1 in navy/white, 1 in navy/navy, and 1 color rush

2 hours ago, s3ahawkz said:

I'm going to have to disagree with the chargers all navy being awesome. They should have the home opener in all white, then 5 home games in power blue, 1 in navy/white, 1 in navy/navy, and 1 color rush

I'll disagree with that disagreement. Different strokes for different folks. They don't wear them that much. So that keeps them from getting stale.

When they move into the new stadium it depends how the marketing department wants it to go. It might be the Spanos kid's call.

Archived