Forgotten History: Name Changes, Logos, Relocation Rumors, etc.

3 minutes ago, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

The St. Louis Blues almost moved in 1982 to Saskatoon, a small town (250,000 population) in Canada before that moved got blocked by the NHL.

Imagine that - the Saskatoon Blues playing in the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals.

What if the Phoenix Coyotes moved to Hamilton?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The Vikings are the first team of the big four to ever be named after a state (or anything other than a City)...though the Twins are the first to take the field.  

When the American Professional Football Association - which changed its name to the National Football League in 1922 - was founded in 1920, one of its charter franchises was the Racine Cardinals, named for the thoroughfare - Racine Avenue - upon which its home field was located.

During the NFL's 1922 and 1923 seasons, a team comprised of Native American athletes - including player-coach Jim Thorpe - joined the league. The franchise was owned by Walter Lingo, who was a top breeder of Oorang Airedale Terriers. Lingo named the team the Oorang Indians to promote his LaRue, Ohio-based Oorang Kennels. The kennels were named for a championship dog, King Oorang.

The NFL's Frankford Yellow Jackets - who were members of the league from 1924 through 1931 - were named for a neighborhood in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The Staten Island Stapletons bore the name of a borough of the City of New York from 1929 to 1932.

The National Basketball Association's Moline, Illinois-based team of the 1949 through 1951 seasons wasn't just named for a single municipality... it was named for three, bearing the regional Tri-Cities Blackhawks sobriquet.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, Bluefalcon said:

Not sure about other sports, but in the NFL we almost had:

Oakland Senors in 1960

Jacksonville Oilers in late 80s

Cleveland Tigers

Baltimore Bombers

St. Louis Stallions

Charlotte Panthers

Tampa/St. Pete Buccaneers

Minneapolis/St. Paul Vikings

The Redskins/Raljon Redskins (JKC threatened to remove any affiliation with the city of Washington at one point)

Reportedly, there was a Cleveland Panthers team before the Browns that was an absolute mess. According to the story, this si what caused Paul Brown to avoid taking on the Panthers/Tigers nickname for the team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

MLS went through a phase of name/logo changes among the original teams:

- Dallas Burn became FC Dallas in 2004

- New York/New Jersey Metrostars were sold to Red Bull and became New York Red Bulls in 2006

- Kansas City Wiz became Sporting KC in 2010

LA, New England, DC, San Jose and Columbus all had logo changes. 

4 hours ago, IndianapolisCubs2009 said:

The St. Louis Blues almost moved in 1982 to Saskatoon, a small town (250,000 population) in Canada before that moved got blocked by the NHL.

Imagine that - the Saskatoon Blues playing in the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals.

I would imagine that they still wouldn't be playing there in 2019 and would have moved just like Winnipeg 1.0 and Quebec did.

4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

This

and this

show Tampa as an interesting case in MLB. I think the Twins, Giants, White Sox, and A's were all tied to Tampa Bay rumors.  I kind of doubt too many people from those teams regret not being able to make the move, in hindsight.

Additionally, the Rays may have been the best candidates for contraction but they had a difficult and long lease locking them into the dome.  The Expos and Twins were easier.

Given where stadiums are in our sports culture, it's really amazing to me in retrospect that MLB allowed a team to move into that crappy dome for the 1998 season with not only no guarantee of a nice stadium, but a long commitment to the dump.  By that point the modern ballparks in Colorado, Pittsburgh, Texas, Baltimore, and Cleveland were well into their respective existences.  And Tampa's expansion partner in Arizona played in their super-modern ballpark starting game 1.

Don't forget about Seattle almost moving in 1992.

CFL fans might remembers back in 1996, when Nelson Skalbania "purchased" the BC Lions (with smoke and mirrors).  There were the reports out there of Skalbania wanting to change the team name to Vancouver Mirage or Vancouver Red Dogs, depending on which company would bid the highest.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=o8s3CgAAQBAJ&pg=PT36&lpg=PT36&dq=vancouver+red+dogs+Nelson+Skalbania&source=bl&ots=XlZTHOQi82&sig=ACfU3U1jYcQcKgOK37VdmOJNbqxEEO0c9w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiv37H0utjiAhULwFQKHceXCXkQ6AEwCnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=vancouver red dogs Nelson Skalbania&f=false

Lets also not forget the CFL team that never was in the 1980s.  Atlantic Schooners version 1.0.

spacer.png

Will Atlantic Schooners, version 2.0 be a never was as well?  Time will tell soon.

2 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Can't forget about the Avs almost being called the Rocky Mountain Extreme:

pZDWSmY.png

I remembered when that was announced and just hated it with a passion.  Glad that embarrassment of name and logos was avoided.

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

[Grizzlies and Curb stuff]

It's the best of both worlds. Memphis finally gets its major pro team called the Grizzlies after the WFL Southmen/Grizzlies failed to get entry into the NFL, and we get the dystopian corporate overlord stuff with FedEx plastered everywhere.

The Vancouver Grizzlies almost moved to St. Louis when they were initially going to be bought by Bill Laurie who also owned the Blues and their arena. When the Grizzlies actually did move, the final two were Memphis (obviously) and Louisville.

Leonard Tose had a handshake agreement to sell 25% of the Eagles to a Phoenix investor and move the team to Phoenix.  It was a done deal - at least between the two parties - to the point where he and his family were scouting schools and planning relocation.  He had insane gambling debts and needed to do whatever he could to keep the team, and agreed to sell part out of desparation.  

Only thing that kept them was the threat of a lawsuit by the league and city (league said that he couldn't move without a vote of other owners... as we've heard before), and the city ended up bending over so he could earn more revenue at the Vet.  He eventually incurred more losses and had no choice but to sell the team to a total waste of skin and teeth Norman Braman, who was such a bad owner, he's literally the reason the players sued for free agency.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/hp/sports/20090114_Looking_back_to_when_Eagles_almost_went_to_Arizona.html

EDIT:

I was too young to know about any of this when it was happening, but if something similar happened now and the team left and then we got a new team, I'd have no desire to root for the Philadelphia Phlash or whatever dumb name they'd have.  I'd want another Philadelphia Eagles, and I'd tell my brain to just conveniently forget about the true franchise lineage and technicalities.  I've turned 180 degrees on the Cleveland Deal, and realized that none of this sports stuff is so serious that technicalities that have no real impact should prevent anyone for rooting for "their" team... even if it isn't technically their team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

54 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Leonard Tose had a handshake agreement to sell 25% of the Eagles to a Phoenix investor and move the team to Phoenix.  It was a done deal - at least between the two parties - to the point where he and his family were scouting schools and planning relocation.  He had insane gambling debts and needed to do whatever he could to keep the team, and agreed to sell part out of desparation.  

Only thing that kept them was the threat of a lawsuit by the league and city (league said that he couldn't move without a vote of other owners... as we've heard before), and the city ended up bending over so he could earn more revenue at the Vet.  He eventually incurred more losses and had no choice but to sell the team to a total waste of skin and teeth Norman Braman, who was such a bad owner, he's literally the reason the players sued for free agency.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/hp/sports/20090114_Looking_back_to_when_Eagles_almost_went_to_Arizona.html

EDIT:

I was too young to know about any of this when it was happening, but if something similar happened now and the team left and then we got a new team, I'd have no desire to root for the Philadelphia Phlash or whatever dumb name they'd have.  I'd want another Philadelphia Eagles, and I'd tell my brain to just conveniently forget about the true franchise lineage and technicalities.  I've turned 180 degrees on the Cleveland Deal, and realized that none of this sports stuff is so serious that technicalities that have no real impact should prevent anyone for rooting for "their" team... even if it isn't technically their team.

Ah yes, Norman Braman. The owner who didn’t even offer Reggie White a contract and let him slip away to Green Bay

14 minutes ago, Wentz2Jeffery said:

Ah yes, Norman Braman. The owner who didn’t even offer Reggie White a contract and let him slip away to Green Bay

There was a lot that went down before that.  There was no point offering him a contract after he and Keith Jackson had literally just sued for the right to leave.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Staten Island Stapletons bore the name of a borough of the City of New York from 1929 to 1932.

The Brooklyn Dodgers (NL, NFL, and AAFC) also bore the name of a New York borough (though the NL Dodgers’ use predates Brooklyn’s 1898 annexation by New York City).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

It's the best of both worlds. Memphis finally gets its major pro team called the Grizzlies after the WFL Southmen/Grizzlies failed to get entry into the NFL, and we get the dystopian corporate overlord stuff with FedEx plastered everywhere.

The Vancouver Grizzlies almost moved to St. Louis when they were initially going to be bought by Bill Laurie who also owned the Blues and their arena. When the Grizzlies actually did move, the final two were Memphis (obviously) and Louisville.

Wasn't there a rumored concern that Robert Pera was going to try and move the Grizzlies to San Jose?

Archived