2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

On 8/2/2020 at 12:09 AM, habsfan1 said:

If the Habs upset the Penguins, give up their shot at Lafrenière, only to get obliterated in the second round, that would be the worst.

The worst possible outcome happened.

I'm happy hockey is back. I'm not taking that away.

But if I'm going to be honest, this outcome to the Habs 2020 playoffs is absolute 🤬.

This is the biggest tank fail I've ever witnessed.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The worst possible outcome happened.

I'm happy hockey is back. I'm not taking that way.

But if I'm going to be honest, this outcome to the Habs 2020 playoffs is absolute 🤬.

This is the biggest tank fail I've ever witnessed.

You thought they actually had a chance to make any form of playoff run?

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

You thought they actually had a chance to make any form of playoff run?

No I didn't. And that includes Pittsburgh in the qualifying rounds.

Like I said in the post right above.......they gave up a top pick for an early exit.

Might as well get round 2 predictions out of the way. 

Avalanche vs Stars - Avalanche in 5

Golden Knights vs. Canucks - Knights in 5

Flyers vs Islanders - Flyers in 7 

Lightning vs. Bruins - Lightning in 6. 

Unless Boston pulls out the win (which I'm doubtful they can without Rask) I really think it's Tampa's cup to lose. 

Still annoyed about the bracket change-up though. 

Dallas - Canucks & Bruins vs. Islanders would have been far more fun series to watch.  

So I'm only really starting to follow hockey this year since the Kraken are entering the league next year. My round two predictions.

Bruins in 7 (if the Lightning lose then they are officially a massive playoff choker)

Flyers in 6

Avs in 6 (this one could go either way)

Knights in 5 (I hate the Knights and would love to see Vancouver knock them off.)

Zzi6tDc.png

Time for my picks...

Boston in 7 (The Bruins showed who they really are by powering past Carolina, especially after finding out that Rask left the bubble. Tampa will push them, but that's it)

Philadelphia in 6 (The Flyers are far more battle tested right now thanks to their series with Montreal while the Isles pretty much coasted by Washington)

Dallas in 7 (Best match up in this round, bar none)

Vegas in 6 (Vancouver steal a game or two, but Vegas won't be caught napping after what the Canucks did to St. Louis)

15 hours ago, osctheg said:

So I'm only really starting to follow hockey this year since the Kraken are entering the league next year. My round two predictions.

Bruins in 7 (if the Lightning lose then they are officially a massive playoff choker)

Flyers in 6

Avs in 6 (this one could go either way)

Knights in 5 (I hate the Knights and would love to see Vancouver knock them off.)

Lighting wouldn’t be considered a choker losing to the presidents trophy winner (and it wasn’t close)

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

Lighting wouldn’t be considered a choker losing to the presidents trophy winner (and it wasn’t close)

2011 - 2nd in the division, 103 points, choke against the Bruins in the Conference Finals

2014 - 2nd in the division, 101 points, swept by Montreal in the first round

2015 - 2nd in the division, 108 points, choke against the Blackhawks in the Finals

2016 - 2nd in the division, 97 points, choke against the Penguins in the Conference Finals

2018 - 1st in the division, 113 points and choke against the Capitals in the Conference Finals

2019 - 1st in the league, 128 points, win the President's Trophy...and historically choke against the Blue Jackets in the first round of the playoffs

This team has been choking in the playoffs for a while; whenever they have great regular seasons, they always choke themselves out of a Cup ring somewhere in the playoffs. If they lose to Boston, they will have choked; this team's ambition is the Stanley Cup and the Stanley Cup alone. Anything else is a colossal failure.

That is a grotesque use of the word "choke". Not every time you lose a series is it a "choke", especially when some of those have come at the hands of superior opponents. Jeezus.

They lost to a better team in 2014 and 2015. 2016 stung being up 3-2 against Pittsburgh, but they lost to a better team then as well. 2018 and 2019 are a different story in that they should've beaten Washington once up 3-2 and then failed to score a goal the rest of the series. 2019 speaks for itself. Losing to the Bruins this year - a series that is a 50/50 sort of deal as it is - would more than likely fall into the first camp, not the second (unless they get swept again or something along those lines). But lighten up on "choke" there; you look ridiculous.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Kramerica Industries said:

That is a grotesque use of the word "choke". Not every time you lose a series is it a "choke", especially when some of those have come at the hands of superior opponents. Jeezus.

...But lighten up on "choke" there; you look ridiculous.

Indeed. "Facing a better team" isn't a choke.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:40 PM, mcj882000 said:

Counterpoint: 1-8 re-seeding is how the playoffs should be every year instead of the pseudo-divisional format the league uses.

The 1-8 seeding Sucked. Tired of people complaining about how the #1 and #2 seed SHOULD BE the Conference Final or the people complaining about how Pens / Caps, Crosby / Ovechkin SHOULD BE playing in the Conference Final not in the 2nd Round. Hey '09, 1-8 Format, Pens / Caps, Crosby / Ovechkin met in the 2nd Round.

11 years under the 1-8 Format, Crosby / Ovechkin, met 1 time in the Playoffs

5 years under the current Divisional Format, Crosby / Ovechkin have met 3 times in the Playoffs

Lets go back in History. Say Lemieux (Pens) and Gretzky (Rangers) play the bulk of their prime years in the Patrick Division. 1-8 Format and the 2 BIGGEST Stars of the Game only meet Once....Once (Johnny Dangerously reference) during this time, How pissed off are the Fans / Networks / Sponsors that these two don't meet more often? Sure sure you can say well IF Team B doesn't do their part and win their Series the two will never meet blah blah blah but under the Divisional Format, Lemieux and Gretzky are almost guaranteed meet every year. What's the better Format for Business (Network / Sponsors / Viewership) Lemieux / Gretzky only meeting Once in 11yrs or Lemieux / Gretzky meeting 5,6,7 times in 11yrs

Besides, 2015 the Puck Report did a story about how only 16% of the #1 or #2 seeds (1-8 Format) actually succeeded in advancing to the Conference Final and or Stanley Cup due to League Parity. Hell, 2012 SCF #6 NJ vs #8 LA (#8 LA took down #1 Van in the First Round, #8 LA took down #2 STL in the 2nd Round, #8 LA took down #3 PHO in the conference Final....so the #1 and #2 seeds didn't even make it to the Conference Final).  I didn't hear people bitching and moaning about how it isn't fair that the #1 and or #2 seed Was Not in the Conference Final, like I do over the Divisional Format

You Play who you Play, doesn't make a difference if it's in the 1st Round or the Conference Final. Take care of your OWN business and it won't matter

Do you honestly believe as Ovechkin was Hoisting the Cup above his head, he was thinking to himself, nah this is total BS, we SHOULD HAVE played the Pens / Crosby in the Conference Final not in the 2nd Round?

The Islanders, I remember not long ago, it felt like they had their spring cleaning of big names still left on the team.

They seemed to be in blow-it-up-and-rebuild mode, but yet now they're in the lead in the east semis...

And Halak could win The Stanley Cup this year. I've never cheered for the Bruins before and I never thought I would.

But I will say that I'll be cheering for him to get his ring. Not fully the team, but just Halak.

Archived