2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jackets-Lightning game was sort of a perfect storm-created anomaly and we don't need to make any rash adjustments to playoff overtime because of it. The Blue Jackets were dead tired from the previous round and were playing a style as a result that was incredibly careful. Dump the puck, send one guy in on a high forecheck, retreat to defense, regain control of the puck, rinse and repeat. If they'd been trying not to score their play in overtime would've looked exactly the same. Vasilevsky wasn't really tested in any of the overtimes and it looked like they were waiting for a mistake that never came (one kind of did when Atkinson got a breakaway and then Hedman murdered him to death and it went uncalled for reasons I'm not sure of. Lightning scored a little bit later, but it's hard to get upset about one no-call when you couldn't score for six periods.) For Tampa they had to go through a million clogged lanes of a team playing a never ending penalty kill with 5 guys and a goaltender that was feeling the zone. If any other games in this series go to overtime I don't expect to see another 5 OT marathon. 

What I'll push back on is that it was a great game. It was the textbook definition of a slog and if my own team wasn't playing in it I probably wouldn't have watched. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Rough game for Binnington.  After he guessed wrong late, the wheels fell off.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You can't win in the playoffs with a goaltender who's mentality as soft as Charmin.

As long as Andrei Vasilevskiy is the Lightning starter - and his contract suggests he will be for a long time to come - they're never going to come close to winning anything of relevance. Feel free to quote me on this, because the only way someone's going to Freezing Cold Takes me on this to me is under good circumstances.

spacer.png

They don't have the scoring to go that far, but if Korpisalo can keep up his 960 save percentage they'll be a tough out. I am starting to believe they can beat Tampa again. Right now I'm just glad they can't get swept. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, Sport said:

They don't have the scoring to go that far, but if Korpisalo can keep up his 960 save percentage they'll be a tough out. I am starting to believe they can beat Tampa again. Right now I'm just glad they can't get swept. 

Columbus plays a game that's essentially Tampa's kryptonite; Tampa loves high-speed open games, but Columbus plays very trappy, slower-paced hockey. I can easily see Columbus taking out Tampa again.

21 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

If the Blue Jackets can make it past The Lightning, I think they are going to be the most dangerous team in the East. 

With that kind of momentum, I don't see many teams stopping them. 

If the Flyers get past the Canadiens, I think they could beat CBJ in a 7 game series. Especially if Carter Hart looks like he looked since the NHL has returned. I can't believe that I might be saying that the Philadelphia Flyers have an elite goaltender...

EDIT: The Flyers advancing might be a big if

Tuukka Rask decided to call it quits for the rest of the playoffs. 

Really sucks to lose a guy as important as him, but based on his past interviews he was clearly struggling mentally with whether to stay or leave. Can't blame him for wanting to be with his family.

Thankfully Halak has proven himself to be a worthwhile replacement.  But I honestly don't see them winning the Cup without Rask. 

It just makes me sick all the hate so called "Bruins fans" are going to give him for doing what he feels is right. . 

I want Reirden's head to roll if the Caps lose this series; especially if they get swept. There's obviously some sort of disconnect between him and the players. Whether they've mutinied against him, or what he's saying or trying to do isn't working; but this team has too much talent to suddenly play like a dead fish.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

14 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

oh god, the islanders are giving me hope again. this never ends well.

Isles are my 2nd favotite team, right now they look like the '16 Penguins. The way they hemmed the Caps in their own end in the 3rd period yesterday. Hard to score from your own end

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Tuukka Rask decided to call it quits for the rest of the playoffs. 

Really sucks to lose a guy as important as him, but based on his past interviews he was clearly struggling mentally with whether to stay or leave. Can't blame him for wanting to be with his family.

Thankfully Halak has proven himself to be a worthwhile replacement.  But I honestly don't see them winning the Cup without Rask. 

It just makes me sick all the hate so called "Bruins fans" are going to give him for doing what he feels is right. . 

Well, family does come first so it's more of a right choice for him.

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I want Reirden's head to roll if the Caps lose this series; especially if they get swept. There's obviously some sort of disconnect between him and the players. Whether they've mutinied against him, or what he's saying or trying to do isn't working; but this team has too much talent to suddenly play like a dead fish.

Unless your team wins the Cup, isn't that what all fans say about their teams head coach? Hell, yinzers want Sullivan gone as well

47 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Unless your team wins the Cup, isn't that what all fans say about their teams head coach? Hell, yinzers want Sullivan gone as well

Yes, but there really is an obvious disconnect between Reirden and the players. Almost every game since December, it seems like they've been playing with a lack of urgency. Reirden seems to laugh off pretty much everything that the star players do. It's clear he has no idea how to motivate them. 

Archived