MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ark said:

I prefer the old script, but it really doesn't matter. They are basically the same.

The one thing they should have done was go back to red brims on the road.

Absolutely.  If they want to sell a Yankee-style cap, that's what alternate uniforms are for.  But when your home cap is as great as the Braves' home cap is, you should wear it with the roads too.

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Absolutely.  If they want to sell a Yankee-style cap, that's what alternate uniforms are for.  But when your home cap is as great as the Braves' home cap is, you should wear it with the roads too.

Also, for the fifty bajilionth time, Oakland and Cincinnati should do the same. It's even more eggregious for both of these teams because they don't have separate batting helmets for their road sets (unlike the Braves):

8265227141.jpg?w=483Joey%20Votto131605_0.jpg?itok=JzkxeohS

If they need an alternate cap, just rock a kelly green one, a royal blue Philadelphia-style one, or a logo cap with the white elephant. In Cincy's case, how about a white- or grey-crowned cap as an alt?

46 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Apparently American Family Insurance is taking over in Milwaukee.  No more Miller Park after next season after Miller declined to renew their naming rights deal.

Maybe now the Brewers can change their look from the current, miller brewer look back to the ball in glove logo. (Still gonna call it miller park tho. Rolls off the tongue better)

It's Me

It should be American Family Insurance Stadium. It's a nod to the old park and an acknowledgment that a big hulking warehouse is not a park or a field.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/01/22/american-family-insurance-will-replace-miller-as-brewers-stadium-name-sponor/2644445002/

The Marcus Amphitheater changed its name? Wow, I haven't been back up there in a while.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It should be American Family Insurance Stadium. It's a nod to the old park and an acknowledgment that a big hulking warehouse is not a park or a field.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/01/22/american-family-insurance-will-replace-miller-as-brewers-stadium-name-sponor/2644445002/

The Marcus Amphitheater changed its name? Wow, I haven't been back up there in a while.

I could see AmFam Field even though that is stupid.  It will always be Miller Park anyway.

1 hour ago, Raptorman415 said:

Maybe now the Brewers can change their look from the current, miller brewer look back to the ball in glove logo. (Still gonna call it miller park tho. Rolls off the tongue better)

I don't mind the script M, but I guess if there was ever a time to do a rebrand and possibly move on from it, this would be it.

22 hours ago, Survival79 said:

I wonder if the Braves set would look better without the headspoon. Replace it with three-color piping around the collar; or just leave the collar empty. The piping along the placket just seams to muddy up the wordmark and tomahawk. 

Hmmm... nope.

10Yrpdm.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I didn't even realize that either. Haven't worked a summer fest since '16 so that makes sense then.

13 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Apparently American Family Insurance is taking over in Milwaukee.  No more Miller Park after next season after Miller declined to renew their naming rights deal.

I expect this to go over as well as the attempted rename of the Sears Tower.  Miller Park was the perfect compromise between corporate sponsorship and having a name with entrenched meaning in the community.

On the plus side, maybe this will finally be the kick in the pants they need to get rid of those terrible Miller inspired uniforms.

Does anyone care that sears tower is Willis tower now?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

47 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Does anyone care that sears tower is Willis tower now?

Not sure how much people care, but people of a certain age still call it Sears Tower in conversation and nobody thinks anything of it. 

I imagine the same will go for Miller Park, Safeco Field, and it’s my understanding that many still refer to Progressive Field as “The Jake” or Jacobs Field. 

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

Not sure how much people care, but people of a certain age still call it Sears Tower in conversation and nobody thinks anything of it.

Hell. I'm 18 and call it Sears Tower. I've never heard anyone say Willis Tower unless it's in an article or on TV.

Miller Park was perfect. They might as well renamed it :censored: beer coliseum

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

My family went to Chicago a few years after they changed the name and when we visited the observation deck, we wanted to get a magnet that said “Sears Tower”, not Willis Tower. As far as I understand, many people in Chicago refuse to call it Willis Tower. 

Sponser names comes and go. Unless it was the first and had longevity, they almost never stick. People here still call Citi Field “Shea” and it’s been 10 years. 

XM4KeeA.png

Twins new home alt.  A mishmash of the 1960s wordmark and current-day shoehorning of gold.

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1088097595627573249

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Twins new home alt.  A mishmash of the 1960s wordmark and current-day shoehorning of gold.

https://twitter.com/Twins/status/1088097595627573249

The double outline is a better application of the gold, but it’s still a mess.

This team needs to clean uniform house.

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

The double outline is a better application of the gold, but it’s still a mess.

This team needs to clean uniform house.

Absolutely.  I don't know whether they are keeping the pinstriped home alt but either way, they are are all over the map at home with two wordmarks used almost equally, gold sometimes, but not all the time.  And then no gold on the road (until, inevitably, they bust out this blue jersey on the road).  It's a mess.  They need to make a couple of choices.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

32 minutes ago, insert name said:

People here still call Citi Field “Shea” and it’s been 10 years. 

I have a lot of friends who refuse to call Progressive Field anything other than Jacobs Fields or “The Jake.” It’s not something that bothers me because I have no attachment, but I understand the sentiment. I’d probably do the same if the rights to Camden Yards are ever sold. But calling Citi Field “Shea” is especially odd considering it’s an entirely different stadium.

Archived