MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

Or this. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqOFi_ns_OKHDAjoZONzJ

That’s just plain disrespectful towards the Expos. Not only does that look like a terrible W, but the upside-down orientation gives it a “we killed your team” connotation. If you want the Nationals to pay “lip service” to their Expos past (which, given team branding, is all you’ll get), they should use an Expos-like “W” that legitimately looks like a “W” (and the Pepsi logo).

Winnipeg-Whips-1970-Ballcap-Fitted-Baseb

10 hours ago, MN Wilkings said:

Is baseball at the beginning of the powder blue for powder blue’s sake (PBFPBS) era? Before we know it half the league could be have powder blue alts. And this is different than in the ‘80s when it was a substitute for grey. Teams are wearing them with white pants now like it’s a team color. 

1970s Holyoke Millers were influential! 😎

s-l500.jpg71289.jpg

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That’s just plain disrespectful towards the Expos. Not only does that look like a terrible W, but the upside-down orientation gives it a “we killed your team” connotation. If you want the Nationals to pay “lip service” to their Expos past (which, given team branding, is all you’ll get), they should use an Expos-like “W” that legitimately looks like a “W” (and the Pepsi logo).

Winnipeg-Whips-1970-Ballcap-Fitted-Baseb

My post was a joke.  I don’t think the nationals should be doing anything Montréal related on their uniforms.  It’s in poor taste.  

21 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Not really a fan of that new Mariners spring training gear. The cap logo just seems lazy (why an M instead of the S?) and powder blue seems like an unnecessary addition to their colors. It's almost redundant with what the Rays wear, so I'd rather see the Mariners embrace their teal-ish Pacific NW green since they are the only team wearing something like that in MLB now.

It just screams of a change for the sake of a change (or cash grab, I don't know).

Because they already have that hat?

4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Because they already have that hat?

Well just because they don't already have something, why do they need something new? I think it's quite odd for a team to have two caps with one letter for the city and another for the mascot. It really serves no purpose.

MLB has gone too far with how they desperately peddle new BP and spring training gear. It runs the risk of diluting the existing brands, which is what the new Seattle cap kind of does.

23 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Well just because they don't already have something, why do they need something new? I think it's quite odd for a team to have two caps with one letter for the city and another for the mascot. It really serves no purpose.

MLB has gone too far with how they desperately peddle new BP and spring training gear. It runs the risk of diluting the existing brands, which is what the new Seattle cap kind of does.

This is nothing new. The Giants had a G hat back in the Bonds days. The Indians had an I hat that they wore in actual games. The league didn't melt down then and it won't melt down now. Sometimes a second hat is just another option for a fan looking for a hat. 

I'd rather they go crazy with alternate looks in ST rather than crazy alternates in the regular season. The M hat is a far better hat than a holiday hat.

Like Ray said, the Giants and Indians had G and I hats...the Marlins had the M-marlin hat, and the Dodgers currently have the script D hat. Cool hats that offer a different take on the brand that bring in money aren't a bad thing.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

24 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'd rather they go crazy with alternate looks in ST rather than crazy alternates in the regular season. The M hat is a far better hat than a holiday hat.

Like Ray said, the Giants and Indians had G and I hats...the Marlins had the M-marlin hat, and the Dodgers currently have the script D hat. Cool hats that offer a different take on the brand that bring in money aren't a bad thing.

yeah agreed. maybe not necessarily "crazy" looks, but definitely different ones. it makes sense from a merchandising perspective, and from a visual standpoint, it meshes (no pun intended) since spring training is so laid back and fan accessible.

my team (mets) have been completely boring in the ST merch department for a while. i'm a sucker for a new cap, and i've just balked at any of the recent stuff (how many royal crown, orange brim, NY caps can one person have?). throw a script 'M' or the skyline or something on there and it would be infinitely more fun.

sig2024.png

10 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Yeah, if we could permanently stop doing this, that would be great. OK?

ff_2820542alt1_full.jpg&w=600

God, these hats don't even look good to being with. Just throw an American Flag on the side call it a day.

(Selling merchandise with the American flag on it violates flag code anyway)

XM4KeeA.png

It looks like these are completely new caps from New Era. I thought they were going back to the Diamond Era line, but the pattern is different. Either way, I’m happy to see the ProLight rubber materials go away.

Compare the A’s cap above to this Diamond Era cap:

Boston%20Red%20Sox%20Diamond%20Era%20Bos

14 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

It looks like these are completely new caps from New Era. I thought they were going back to the Diamond Era line, but the pattern is different. Either way, I’m happy to see the ProLight rubber materials go away.

Compare the A’s cap above to this Diamond Era cap:

Boston%20Red%20Sox%20Diamond%20Era%20Bos

it's been called "hex tech" by new era in the past (named for the hexagon pattern in the mesh). it was used on the NFL sideline caps in 2017:

NEW YORK JETS COLOR RUSH 9FIFTY SNAPBACK 3 quarter left view

it's essentially the same thing as diamond era. so much so that the retail listing for the M's spring training cap calls it "diamond era." shouldn't be any discernible difference.

sig2024.png

It feels like they know they went overkill in 2017 on the hrd caps,

064aa47c-20f1-4334-9abc-05789717dfa3_1.1

and pro light was a flop, so this new hex is a bit of an in betweener. I don't hate the old diamond era material, but I don't love it either. I only buy these caps when they reach $8-$10

Rockies store says BP/ST hats will be the same design...which I'm guessing will be the Colorado state flag-mountain combo (though there might be a slight chance they go back to the purple mountain logo)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived