2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a stupid (read: funny to me) thought that if this retro fourth jersey program does come to fruition, that all the teams would throwback to "odd" jerseys. Like not the ones you'd think of if a team is going to wear a throwback, but one's that would make you go "huh, weird" or "why did they pick that one?".

Like the Ducks in the Nike alts, but with the black equipment during the eggplant shortage.

Spoiler

NikeAway9799.0.jpg

or the Flames bringing back the pedestal

Spoiler

72537015.jpg.23200_display_image.jpg?126

or the Islanders with the 2000's orange alternate with the mismatched socks

Spoiler

GettyImages-2918437.0.0.jpg

or the Canucks 2000's gradient

Spoiler

J6GGHMR.jpg

or the Oilers in the first year of the navy and copper where they had yokes on the white jerseys

Spoiler

3ac1af962f5d1f53.jpg

or the Rangers in the shield jersey

Spoiler

s-l400.jpg

and then the Jets in the WHA throwbacks that are pretty much the same jersey as the above Rangers one

Spoiler

image001.jpg

This would also mean the recent expansion teams would just throwback to their original jerseys or better yet, a short-lived alternate or something.

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, squamfan said:

canucks should go old school

spacer.png

It is not a bad jersey and some people might be for this.  A Canucks fan myself, I will pass:

-Looks too much like the New York Rangers.

-I would love to have some time seeing the Canucks without script on the upper chest of a jersey.  Had to deal with that from 2007 to last year.  The upper chest script was an ugly pimple on an otherwise great uniform and they have that fixed now.

-Jersey is associated with WHL Canucks and it does not include Johnny Canuck or a logo at all.  Think there would be interest in having Johnny involved if we are going to harken back to the WHL days.

-The NHL Canucks have more throwback options to choose from than a team normally should.  We could have a throwback they have not worn yet from the NHL days.  Or possibly, if there decision is to have the inverted jersey look as rumours indicate, we could end up with a green alternate jersey.

3 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

It is not a bad jersey and some people might be for this.  A Canucks fan myself, I will pass:

-Looks too much like the New York Rangers.

-I would love to have some time seeing the Canucks without script on the upper chest of a jersey.  Had to deal with that from 2007 to last year.  The upper chest script was an ugly pimple on an otherwise great uniform and they have that fixed now.

-Jersey is associated with WHL Canucks and it does not include Johnny Canuck or a logo at all.  Think there would be interest in having Johnny involved if we are going to harken back to the WHL days.

-The NHL Canucks have more throwback options to choose from than a team normally should.  We could have a throwback they have not worn yet from the NHL days.  Or possibly, if there decision is to have the inverted jersey look as rumours indicate, we could end up with a green alternate jersey.

what rumor about a green jersey?

11 hours ago, squamfan said:

what rumor about a green jersey?

Was referring to the rumours about the inverted jersey look for the 4th jerseys as indicated by Icethetics.  If that is would happen, suggesting it opens the door more for the possibility of a green jersey.  I would be all for the Canucks having a green alternate.  However, would want an original design rather than an inverted jersey.

Besides my earlier suggestion, the Canucks are a team that has a simple answer to what they could wear as the 4th jersey.  It is the 4th uniform they wore this year 3 times for 50th anniversary.  It could just stay around and become the regular 4th uniform.  Think many people would be happy with that.

spacer.png

On 3/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, monkeypower said:

I had a stupid (read: funny to me) thought that if this retro fourth jersey program does come to fruition, that all the teams would throwback to "odd" jerseys. Like not the ones you'd think of if a team is going to wear a throwback, but one's that would make you go "huh, weird" or "why did they pick that one?".

Like the Ducks in the Nike alts, but with the black equipment during the eggplant shortage.

Reveal hidden contents

NikeAway9799.0.jpg

or the Flames bringing back the pedestal

Reveal hidden contents

72537015.jpg.23200_display_image.jpg?126

or the Islanders with the 2000's orange alternate with the mismatched socks

Reveal hidden contents

GettyImages-2918437.0.0.jpg

or the Canucks 2000's gradient

Reveal hidden contents

J6GGHMR.jpg

or the Oilers in the first year of the navy and copper where they had yokes on the white jerseys

Reveal hidden contents

3ac1af962f5d1f53.jpg

or the Rangers in the shield jersey

Reveal hidden contents

s-l400.jpg

and then the Jets in the WHA throwbacks that are pretty much the same jersey as the above Rangers one

Reveal hidden contents

image001.jpg

This would also mean the recent expansion teams would just throwback to their original jerseys or better yet, a short-lived alternate or something.

Sooner or later, they are going to have to do that any ways.  You can only wear the same throwback so many times.  For the Flames, it's already their third, so it's the pedestal or Blasty.  For the Canucks, gradient or the unloved salmon jersey.  Philadelphia Flyers should throwback to cooperalls.  And, while I'm fully on team dark jersey at home, if the NHL is really adding a forth jersey, I'm hoping there's going to be a few more white versions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 3/21/2020 at 12:47 PM, squamfan said:

canucks should go old school

spacer.png

Ehh. Maybe if you changed the red to green. We don't need another colour scheme in the rotation for the Canucks. Least of all the most generic one possible.

8 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

Besides my earlier suggestion, the Canucks are a team that has a simple answer to what they could wear as the 4th jersey.  It is the 4th uniform they wore this year 3 times for 50th anniversary.  It could just stay around and become the regular 4th uniform.  Think many people would be happy with that.

spacer.png

It should be this. Home and road stay the same, this included in the rotation, and a third that incorporates green more heavily and Johnny Canuck in some capacity.

That would hopefully, finally satisfy nearly the entirety of the franchise on every side of whats become an extremely divisive issue. You maintain the current look with its superior colours and striping while appeasing the people clamouring for Johnny Canuck and satisfy the ones blinded by nostalgia who insist on the skate. I understand the Canucks have worked themselves into a position that they will never make everyone happy uniform wise, but the addition of a heritage jersey slot gives them the opportunity to make a compromise that will leave the vast majority satisfied.

It makes total sense for the Canucks to go back to the original and timeless '70 Stick in Rink with the white V's on the sleeve stripes as the primary home and away. More white on the original blues to separate the blue and green is needed though. The 3rd would be a green skating Johnny Canuck and the ever-popular black Skate would be a throwback 3-4 times a season. 

19 hours ago, ebod39 said:

How does the conversation always end up back on the Canucks?  SMH

Because the NHL only has 31 teams discussion can rotate through and they happen to be the only one to add 4 new jerseys this year. 

Heads up, when Seattle eventually unveils their look the reason discussion will always float back to them after is because they're the shiny new team.

That's my point, there are 31 teams and yet the conversation always steers to the Canucks. There were 7 teams listed in the OP about rumored jerseys

and the Canucks for whatever reason are getting the most traction...It gets old the same debates about Johny Canuck and Stick in Rink that derail a thread.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:42 AM, ebod39 said:

How does the conversation always end up back on the Canucks?  SMH

Well the Canucks are a fairly unique team when it comes to pro sports design, so they're a lightning rod for debates like the ones that go on here. They have a relatively long history, and have used 3 completely distinct colour schemes & 3 different primary logos, each of which is favoured by a segment of the fan base. 

There are some comparable situations in other sports (Padres, Nuggets), but there aren't any in the NHL.

4 hours ago, ebod39 said:

That's my point, there are 31 teams and yet the conversation always steers to the Canucks. There were 7 teams listed in the OP about rumored jerseys

and the Canucks for whatever reason are getting the most traction...It gets old the same debates about Johny Canuck and Stick in Rink that derail a thread.

Did you skip the latter half of my post?

On March 17, 2020 at 5:21 PM, TBGKon said:

To spin off of this Icethetics on Twitter over the weekend the following.  Could be interesting to say the least, and if they use current logos or throwback logos is unknown.

When the Hamilton Bulldogs were MTL's affiliate in the AHL, they had two different versions of that blue jersey. One with an H for the crest, and one with the standard logo, except both had white centre stripes.

$_20.JPG

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived