2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t see how Minnesota Gemini is any worse of a name than Minnesota Wild, Tampa Bay Lightning, Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks, Colorado Avalanche, Vegas Golden Knights, or Seattle Kraken/Sockeyes.

It has that “LA GaLAxy” perk where the location abbreviation is in the middle of the name and, if the team had been named the Gemini, the fans would have immediately shortened it to “Gems” or “G-men” or something smoother.

2 hours ago, GFB said:

I don’t see how Minnesota Gemini is any worse of a name than Minnesota Wild, Tampa Bay Lightning, Anaheim (Mighty) Ducks, Colorado Avalanche, Vegas Golden Knights, or Seattle Kraken/Sockeyes.

It has that “LA GaLAxy” perk where the location abbreviation is in the middle of the name and, if the team had been named the Gemini, the fans would have immediately shortened it to “Gems” or “G-men” or something smoother.

Is that a perk?

All of the teams you listed are tangible, physical things (well, we're not sure about Wild) and aren't an astrological star sign. Gemini isn't good.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

Is that a perk?

All of the teams you listed are tangible, physical things (well, we're not sure about Wild) and aren't an astrological star sign. Gemini isn't good.

You do know Gemini is a real constellation, right? You can actually go outside, look up, and see it in the sky tonight. And that’s not even getting into the ties of legends and stories in Greek, Egyptian, and Sumerian mythology... I’d argue names like Devils, Titans, Capitals are just as abstract conceptually, if not more so (especially a Jersey Devil). Plus, there’s Glendale High School who already use the moniker, so it’s not like I’m alone in thinking it’s fine mascot:

spacer.png

You can believe Gemini would have been a weird name, but you can’t deny there would have been a strong connection to the North Stars (a northern constellation) and a strong connection to the location (Gemini is Latin for “twins” for a team in the Twin Cities), and then some lesser connections like the abbreviation hidden in the name. Names have been picked for lesser reasons; hell, the Golden Knights were named primarily  because of the owner’s education. To consider it a bad name solely because of its connection to astrology or because it’s not “a real, tangible thing” doesn’t make sense to me. Does the Devils name get docked because of a connection to Satanism or because they aren’t physical creatures?

Whatever, I digress. I thought it was a fun side topic to think about for a little while rather than rehashing the Canucks for the millionth time or the usual paths we circle. 

18 hours ago, Corvus said:

I don't know if this is quite the right thread, but man, the selection of hats the NHL has now is awful. I need a fitted hat (I have a giant head, size 8 hat), and I was thinking a Canucks skate logo hat like I had back in the 90's would be nice.  There simply aren't any fitted hats in the retro colour scheme, which seems like a huge missed merchandise opportunity. 

In fact, there are only two fitted hat options at all for the Canucks. 

Try Vanbase

6 hours ago, GFB said:

I’d argue names like Devils, Titans, Capitals are just as abstract conceptually, if not more so (especially a Jersey Devil).

Does the Devils name get docked because of a connection to Satanism or because they aren’t physical creatures?

The Jersey Devil is real.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a4938da0fd27c58a6f1

jNTsTyQ.png

1 minute ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

huh? They just had one in Tampa. And I'm certain they had one in Florida in the 2000's as well

I'm sure the players will enjoy this (those that actually go) but let's have one in a hockey city 

Because I'm sure players would like to go to Minnesota in January. 😛

8 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

well...yea. But still I'd like to see it in more of a hockey hotbed where the fans can get into it. Where it creates some actual buzz.

All Star games everywhere, in every sport, seem to be on collective life support

You say this like all star games aren’t meaningless cash grabs. Might as well try to get money out of the casual tourist and have it being in a more temperate climate that appeals to a larger audience than have it in Minnesota where not even the players want to go at that time of year. Honestly if the leagues didn’t make some for of money from these games they wouldn’t even have them and instead just do the all pro voting to recognize the players.

So far Winnipeg, Anaheim, Phoenix/Arizona and Seattle have yet to host an all-star game. I seem to remember that Seattle is looking at bidding for an all-star game and draft within the first 5 years or something like that. The Coyotes had a game but it was cancelled due to the 2006 Olympics in Italy. I think the Seattle will host one well before Winnipeg ever will and as for Arizona, who knows with them. They are a failed experiment that needs to be put down... but that's just my opinion.

18 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

and as for Arizona, who knows with them. They are a failed experiment that needs to be put down... but that's just my opinion.

See, the problem for me believing that that the Coyotes need to move is that there's definite growth there, especially under Meruelo, and the NHL will not abandon that market unless they literally see no other viable option; same as what happened to Atlanta and the Thrashers.

And in addition to being in a big TV market, Arizona gives the league a chance to tap into something they couldn't get in, say, Kansas City or Québec; the Hispanic market. That's why the Coyotes have launched Spanish media, and that's why I think they go back to the Kachinas in the future. And really, it's been the biggest problem the Coyotes have historically had; they didn't tap into that market nearly enough.

Plus, y'know, it'd be hard for any Southern team to draw consistent large crowds when for large swathes of time you're just putting out subpar product. Remember when people were calling for Carolina's head before their playoff run last year? All the calling for the Panthers to relocate now? Success breeds fans, and going 10+ years without a playoff appearance would sag any market where hockey isn't already heavily ingrained into the public.

Look at how games are now, with the Coyotes in a playoff spot for the first time in years; similar to what happened with Carolina, isn't it? A team that was run badly for years and was terrible on the ice becomes run well and good on the ice and suddenly, fans come in droves to pay to watch the team play in person.

It's almost like people don't like watching a :censored:ty product. 😛

On 1/25/2020 at 7:38 AM, pepis21 said:

Florida Panthers will host 2021 All Star Game

spacer.png

12 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

huh? They just had one in Tampa. And I'm certain they had one in Florida in the 2000's as well

I'm sure the players will enjoy this (those that actually go) but let's have one in a hockey city 

Florida had one in 2003.

I'd love to see Pittsburgh and Washington get it within the next 5 years.  Especially Washington.  Last time the Capitals were the host was in 1982.

27 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

See, the problem for me believing that that the Coyotes need to move is that there's definite growth there, especially under Meruelo, and the NHL will not abandon that market unless they literally see no other viable option; same as what happened to Atlanta and the Thrashers.

And in addition to being in a big TV market, Arizona gives the league a chance to tap into something they couldn't get in, say, Kansas City or Québec; the Hispanic market. That's why the Coyotes have launched Spanish media, and that's why I think they go back to the Kachinas in the future. And really, it's been the biggest problem the Coyotes have historically had; they didn't tap into that market nearly enough.

Ever since Matthews came in to the league thats been a talking point, but I don't really buy it. LA, Anaheim, Dallas, Florida, Colorado, Vegas and others all have very large Hispanic populations in their markets. If the NHL seeks to tap into that demographic, its not going to be dependent on the Coyotes being good. 

For the record, I'm not in favour of the Coyotes being moved either, but I would like to see a competently run organization with an actual solution to their arena issue rather than just hot potatoing the team between wealthy owners to bleed their pockets.

A couple days ago I saw an offhanded comment on the internet that the Honda Center will be getting some more work done as part of the 2028 Olympics because it will be hosting volleyball, so the Ducks could potentially apply for hosting an All Star game around that time.

I'm honestly kind of surprised the Ducks haven't hosted an All Star game yet, especially back during the Disney days.

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

So far Winnipeg, Anaheim, Phoenix/Arizona and Seattle have yet to host an all-star game. I seem to remember that Seattle is looking at bidding for an all-star game and draft within the first 5 years or something like that. The Coyotes had a game but it was cancelled due to the 2006 Olympics in Italy. I think the Seattle will host one well before Winnipeg ever will and as for Arizona, who knows with them. They are a failed experiment that needs to be put down... but that's just my opinion.

Add Vegas to that list

On 1/25/2020 at 5:38 AM, pepis21 said:

Florida Panthers will host 2021 All Star Game

spacer.png

steve seriously GIF by Stranger Things 
Panthers, you can’t remember you already hosted the 2003 All Star? Thanks, NHL, now I’m sick of many cities hosted the AS again twice they hosted in previously years. 
Anaheim, Arizona, Vegas, New Jersey, Washington DC and of course, Winnipeg are only teams are never hosted a All Star. Come on, NHL please give these teams a chance to host the All Star.  Or give the teams already hosted the AS but yet hosted in a long time.

Toronto or Buffalo should’ve hosted the 2021 All Star instead of a small city which is very far from Miami.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Archived