2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

I will say this before this thread gets back on topic--of all the all-star games, I think the NHL's is the best format. 3-on-3 has a basis in the actual game (current overtime rules) and while the players are trying to avoid getting hurt and having fun, their competitive natures will come out when the game is on the line. The NFL, NBA, and the sacred MLB all-star games are complete snooze fests. Frankly, I'm surprised the NHL came up with the 3-on-3 tournament idea before the NBA did.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, IceCap said:

So yeah...

Look. I like a lot of the old school flourishes you're advocating for (though your "We didn't NEED all the garbage" and ""Fans"" presentation leaves a lot to be desired) but I'm going to be brutally honest with you. What you're advocating for, while nice in a traditional sort of way, is outdated and not marketable in 2020. And I'll even go one step further. The way they're doing things now isn't marketable either.

The concept of the All-Star Game is a relic from a time when you could only really see your local team. When seeing the best players from across the league was novelty for most fans. In that environment? The ASG was a fun event.

Now? I can watch any game on any given night, regardless of market, on my phone. I can pull up the previous night's highlights on YouTube (probably also on my phone). No one needs the ASG to see the League's best once a year anymore.

The gimmicky 3 on 3 stuff has lost its novelty.

Going back to a proper 5 on 5 three period game would be a bore because no one wants to actually play a proper ASG anymore.

They ought to just trash the whole All-Star Game concept.

To me it's a slap in the face of the fans. it comes off as the NHL has just quit trying and is throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks! The half assed attempt by the League, the Players no longer show interest, hey if the League doesn't care, the Players don't care, why should I care to watch it? Just get rid of it and give the boys a week off (in every Sport).

Sad thing is, I actually like the concept behind the Divisional ASG Format (brings back the Pride of representing not only yourself, your Team but also the Division you play in), it just sucks that the NHL and Players half ass it and think that's what the "FANS" want. I used to look forward to the Skills Comp / ASG (actually set aside the time to watch it) but Friday night, I was at PPG Paints Arena for Cirque Du Soleil (Fantastic show btw) instead of watching the Skills Comp (didn't even bother to DVR it). I just don't care anymore, it's become a farce of an Event weekend. What was once a MUST WATCH Event has now become an after thought and that bothers me because my LOVE for the Game of Hockey supersedes that of my LOVE for the Pens / Islanders

I'm big on K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) and to me the AS Weekend has become more of a WWF/E Sports Entertainment thing than a actual Hockey thing. I can see why Players would rather skip it, take the 1 game suspension than to participate in it. Platform shooting is something the players do after practice while messing around, hell probably attaching some sort of wager on it (lunch, dinner, etc) but it's not something I want to see in the Skills Comp (throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks) 

4 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

To me it's a slap in the face of the fans.

I'm not sure you're qualified to make that judgment call. 

4 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

"FANS"

You need to stop putting fans in quotation marks. People who enjoy the sport in different ways than you aren't wrong.

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

To echo @MDGP... :censored: Barstool. 

7 hours ago, MDGP said:

Counterpoint: 🤬 Bartsool.

I have a feeling you saw the url and chose to respond without even attempting to read the article.

I am by no means a stoolie, but I saw this shared and feel like it captures how I feel about the All Star Game. It's especially refreshing to see it in a sea of "5 Ways to Fix the All Star Game" type articles.

19 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I have a feeling you saw the url and chose to respond without even attempting to read the article.

Proudly. 🤬 Bartsool and their abusive misogynist owner.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

20 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

You mean the company who has a highly successful female CEO?

Congrats. He found a woman who has no problem being terrible to women to run his company that is terrible to women. He literally has called for women to be raped before. 🤬 Portnoy. 🤬 Bartsool. 🤬 anyone that defends their bull 🤬. I'm done now.

So hockey. I didn't like the all-star uniforms.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

10 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Congrats. He found a woman who has no problem being terrible to women to run his company that is terrible to women. He literally has called for women to be raped before. 🤬 Portnoy. 🤬 Bartsool. 🤬 anyone that defends their bull 🤬. I'm done now.

So hockey. I didn't like the all-star uniforms.

clapping applause GIF

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

7 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

To me it's a slap in the face of the fans. it comes off as the NHL has just quit trying and is throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks! The half assed attempt by the League, the Players no longer show interest, hey if the League doesn't care, the Players don't care, why should I care to watch it? Just get rid of it and give the boys a week off (in every Sport).

Sad thing is, I actually like the concept behind the Divisional ASG Format (brings back the Pride of representing not only yourself, your Team but also the Division you play in), it just sucks that the NHL and Players half ass it and think that's what the "FANS" want. I used to look forward to the Skills Comp / ASG (actually set aside the time to watch it) but Friday night, I was at PPG Paints Arena for Cirque Du Soleil (Fantastic show btw) instead of watching the Skills Comp (didn't even bother to DVR it). I just don't care anymore, it's become a farce of an Event weekend. What was once a MUST WATCH Event has now become an after thought and that bothers me because my LOVE for the Game of Hockey supersedes that of my LOVE for the Pens / Islanders

I'm big on K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) and to me the AS Weekend has become more of a WWF/E Sports Entertainment thing than a actual Hockey thing. I can see why Players would rather skip it, take the 1 game suspension than to participate in it. Platform shooting is something the players do after practice while messing around, hell probably attaching some sort of wager on it (lunch, dinner, etc) but it's not something I want to see in the Skills Comp (throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks) 

When has the All-Star game ever been a must watch event? It’s a glorified pick-up game. Just with conferences and divisions (and not even that some years), and players having fun. No one actually cares who wins, and people barely remember. This isn’t the Stanley Cup final, where hockey should just be serious, nerve-wracking hockey, this is a hockey is fun and not so serious sport thing. 

It’s fun for the players to relax and play some non-serious hockey, where their whole career has pretty much demanded that they play serious hockey. It’s called the All-Star break for a reason...

And skills competitions should be just fun. I mean the player who is actually the fastest, or could shoot the hardest, or could sauce the puck the best might not actually be playing in the game. So it doesn’t matter if the players are doing platform shooting. Sure the NHL still can’t get it right, but they tried to make it more fun. That’s all people wanna see when they watch sports anyways. Believe me I know how passionate someone can get about sports, I’ve been there. It’s fun, and awful at the same time, unless you or your team wins, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter. So the All-Star game doesn’t have to either. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 1/25/2020 at 11:03 PM, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

huh? They just had one in Tampa. And I'm certain they had one in Florida in the 2000's as well

I'm sure the players will enjoy this (those that actually go) but let's have one in a hockey city 

Im sorry, but Tampa is a hockey city.

Also, you gotta realize that these cities have to bid on the event.  Maybe other cities werent interested.

So, lost in all this "is the ASG even worth doing anymore" talk (my take: it is, because it's for the kids & not us, but the gimmicks they keep introducing do more to kill interest in it than anything else), wasn't Seattle supposed to reveal their name this past weekend?

57 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

So, lost in all this "is the ASG even worth doing anymore" talk (my take: it is, because it's for the kids & not us, but the gimmicks they keep introducing do more to kill interest in it than anything else), wasn't Seattle supposed to reveal their name this past weekend?

it was just a rumor. They probably won't announce anything till the off-season. When did Vegas reveal their name before the first game?

XM4KeeA.png

11 minutes ago, insert name said:

it was just a rumor. They probably won't announce anything till the off-season. When did Vegas reveal their name before the first game?

Had to go look up the date of that trainwreck of an unveiling ceremony they held; it was on November 22, 2016 - almost a full year before their first game.

22 hours ago, insert name said:

It's tough to compare this to the Vegas situation, considering how different the timelines are for each franchise. Vegas's expansion bid was officially approved just under a year before they got to select their players. Because of delays in the Seattle arena construction, they have almost a 3 year gap between officially being awarded the team and actually taking the ice. They already have a GM, so they're already ahead of schedule compared to Vegas.

I could see them unveiling the name, logo, and colours sometime before the end of the season but holding off on the jerseys until closer to the expansion draft.

1 hour ago, padreegan said:

https://www.facebook.com/MarioLemieuxFdn/As far as I know there is no expectation for a new third jersey for the Pittsburgh Penguins,  but check out what was worn at the Mario Lemieux fantasy camp!!!   Maybe a sign of things to come?  

Maybe, but it seems like this is just throwing back to other jerseys for the sake of the camp. I don't see it as having any indication towards the direction the actual team is going.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

Don't think it's anything more than utilizing it for a fantasy camp, buuutttt there is that rumor Adidas and the NHL are opening up a throwback slot for all the teams so...

Can't wait to see Vegas's one

Archived