2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I disagree. That Leafs sweater is lazy. It's the go-to design for everyone's first "let's modernize the Maple Leafs" concept. The Concepts subforum is full of pretty much that exact design. 

That's why I said "they'd be insanely logical for the 90's". It's fine, if overly "new style" and concept-y. It's not as bad as the Habs or Bruins ones, for sure.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

It's so insanely logical for the '90s that the Summit Series team wore it in the '70s, so it's actually pretty ahead of it's time if you think about it.

Paul-Henderson-Team-Canada-featured.jpg

(I've always thought Hockey Canada should modernize these to use as an alternate)

They kind of did in the 80s for their full-time look

canadacup84.jpg

And then modernized those for an alt in 2009

image_85ba260ab9721aab5448c21afa1fd6e7.j

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Also, the only new design for a Leafs jersey that should be used for alternates is this one:

GpxXQbLfyuo1QkGuQysd5d8LKfbKfNE2hFLBY7LK

Or as a one-off, this one:

Ace-Bailey-Night-Team-Pic-800x302.jpg

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 4/2/2020 at 1:17 PM, Mingjai said:

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about here. And yes, only the Detroit set is decent (not good, but decent). The rest range from bad to terrible.

jpeg

I think the exact opposite.

This snapshot looks like six teams who sat and listened to EA’s developers talk about how their data shows that the gamers who play NHL love exploring and tinkering with the uniforms and this is our opportunity to do something fun and different on a virtual platform with no real-world brand consequences. Then, at the end of the meeting, people are excited, they start throwing out creative ideas, and there’s Detroit, sitting (arms folded) at the far end of the table and grumbling, “I don’t get it...”

On 4/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, M4One said:

Purpose behind them or not, it's still too many and doesn't look particularly good.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  Not every design needs a story behind it.  It's okay if 3 stripes were just 3 stripes because it looked good and not 3 stripes because the top one represents the forest, the middle represents the highway, and the bottom represents the Earth.

Fair enough, but even if this were intended for real use and not just a video game, I would much rather a hypothetical black third for Chicago be fun, unique, soulful, and distinct from their classic look (which we know will never change) as opposed to a simplistic color flip of that jersey, which never looked right.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 4/2/2020 at 2:17 PM, Mingjai said:

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about here. And yes, only the Detroit set is decent (not good, but decent). The rest range from bad to terrible.

jpeg

The Chicago set is a totally eyesore. My eyes.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

That Caps logo brings back memories of when I first started getting into hockey. I started playing my father’s NHL 2K5 game on the PS2 and played any team that I thought had cool jerseys and/or logos. I would pick that or the Islanders. I really could care less about the other two...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 4/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, DNAsports said:

Posted by the NHL on NBC Sports Twitter account:

spacer.png

The Capitals, since it makes for a better crest than the script and because the word "Capitals" is in capital letters.  Using the presidential seal as inspiration for the colour palette was clever and gave them a scheme they could own...  Instead of just being Red, White and Blue team #4

I like the digital Blackhawks set more than a number of their half-assed one-offs through the years: the black and white one, the other black and white one, the chrome one

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/4/2020 at 8:57 PM, tohasbo said:

One in the minority here but Islanders.

I'm with you on this one. The fisherman uniforms were terrible, but that was just because of the striping, font, and unnecessary addition of teal. A recoloured fisherman logo on a more traditional template would make a great 3rd set. 

On April 6, 2020 at 2:17 PM, clonewars2008 said:

What was the top one, the photo isn't there.

This white jersey:

MapleLeafs08.png

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 4/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, spartacat_12 said:

The fisherman uniforms were terrible, but that was just because of the striping, font, and unnecessary addition of teal. A recoloured fisherman logo on a more traditional template would make a great 3rd set. 

With you on the striping and fonts but teal made that look.

Archived