2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

On 1/31/2021 at 12:20 AM, nash61 said:

Guys, it's a Reverse Retro. That jersey would be green with black stripes, and although gorgeous, it might be too similar to what they're wearing.

If they went with a white version...

9Q7fM9p.png

Quick and dirty, but thoughts?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yup, that does look pretty good. That logo just works in green and yellow. Just not sure about the yellow numbers, like everyspacer.pngone else

Interesting matchup to pull them out in too against the burgundy and new blue helmets/breezers for the Avs. Very colorful.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Not trying to be contrarian, but I find a lot of these reverse retros to be kind of tacky. To me, it just proves that the regular uniforms that these teams wear is the result of years of tweaks, making them the best versions of what they can be. For the most part, they are very well thought out and are strong designs. The RR jerseys just look like exactly what they are - quick, money grabs that look rushed together and unrefined. The Minnestoa green and yellow one is a perfect example. i don't really like it. The green and red uniforms are nicer to look at.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

15 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yup, that does look pretty good. That logo just works in green and yellow. Just not sure about the yellow numbers, like everyspacer.pngone else

13 hours ago, nash61 said:

My ONLY complaint is that the river should be white.

Now I can't unsee the yellow river.

The river is ****.

The yellow river makes me think of the sky being reflected in the water.

The Wild have one of my favourite visual identities in the NHL. I don't think they should go with North Stars colours full time (I wouldn't oppose it either!) but they should definitely keep this - or better yet, a green version - as a third or a once-every-so-often heritage jersey.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Yes, that river in China which famously flows through Minneapolis.

I agree with Bayne about the slapdash, paint-bucket nature of Reverse Retros, but disagree that Minnesota looks bad. They look terrific. I agree that the numbers should be green, but maybe they can get away with yellow on the back because they're big enough. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Numbers really should be green on the Wild RRs (for contrast/legibility purposes, not "historical" accuracy), but the Wild head on the North Star template works.

Funny enough this continues the Wild's history of never having a uniform with green numbers on it.

It's probably my favourite of the RRs, but I still wouldn't want to see the team adopt the colour scheme full time. Green & red is probably the most under-utilized combo in pro sports, and the Wild have one of the better sets in the league (tacky name notwithstanding).

I love the numbers.  The Wild should use this as a starting point, emphasize stars, and essentially siphon the Dallas identity from under their feet while the Stars in Dallas slowly become, I dunno, the Ghost Recons or whatever bullcrap identity they don't currently have anyway.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

6 hours ago, Bayne said:

Not trying to be contrarian, but I find a lot of these reverse retros to be kind of tacky. To me, it just proves that the regular uniforms that these teams wear is the result of years of tweaks, making them the best versions of what they can be. For the most part, they are very well thought out and are strong designs. The RR jerseys just look like exactly what they are - quick, money grabs that look rushed together and unrefined. The Minnestoa green and yellow one is a perfect example. i don't really like it. The green and red uniforms are nicer to look at.

"very well thought out and are strong designs" and "quick, money grabs" aren't mutually exclusive. All of the RR are basically just retro jerseys, except with different colors, how is that unrefined? Even saying rushed together is inaccurate. Some do look uninspired either by choice (NYI) or by color constraints (Toronto, Detroit), but yeah sorry, I've agreed with many of your posts before but in this case, I do think you sound a bit like a contrarian person who hates fun lol. I do agree that many people here often have knee jerk reactions to uniforms on this board, I don't think they should switch to those full time either, once in a while is perfect, they do have a nice set of jerseys in hunter green and red

Just now, AFirestormToPurify said:

But they're not the North Stars

Just steal it back, baby.  By next season Dallas will wear black with neon green at home and all-white-everything on the road, so screw 'em. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just now, CS85 said:

Just steal it back, baby.  By next season Dallas will wear black with neon green at home and all-white-everything on the road, so screw 'em. 

That's funny, but no. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Wild wearing Wild colors for their regular jerseys and North Stars colors every once in a while

31 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Minnesota Geminis, Minnesota Norsemen, Minnesota Northern Lights, Minnesota Northern Stars, Minnesota Norths, Minnesota Nords, Minnesota Constellations, Minnesota Nordlys (Norwegian for "northern lights"), etc. These are all "close enough" substitutions for the North Stars name.

I say it's time to drop the Wild name (but consign the original green uniform to third status, since the colors are still good) and even the logo in favor of just being the North Stars in all but name. Since the NHL owns the trademark for the North Stars (IIRC), there shouldn't be a Titans-Roughnecks like IP lawsuit. But a trademark dispute between teams would be the most OITGDNHL thing ever.

Everything about the Wild identity except the name has been decent-to-excellent, it's just that the awful name ruins every single bit of it.

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Minnesota Geminis, Minnesota Norsemen, Minnesota Northern Lights, Minnesota Northern Stars, Minnesota Norths, Minnesota Nords, Minnesota Constellations, Minnesota Nordlys (Norwegian for "northern lights"), etc. These are all "close enough" substitutions for the North Stars name.

I say it's time to drop the Wild name (but consign the original green uniform to third status, since the colors are still good) and even the logo in favor of just being the North Stars in all but name. Since the NHL owns the trademark for the North Stars (IIRC), there shouldn't be a Titans-Roughnecks like IP lawsuit. But a trademark dispute between teams would be the most OITGDNHL thing ever.

Everything about the Wild identity except the name has been decent-to-excellent, it's just that the awful name ruins every single bit of it.

Imagine thinking Nords, Nordlys or Norths is somehow any better than Wild lol. If you want the North Stars name back, don't settle for a cheap, half assed imitation. Norsemen? Do they also need to switch to purple and gold? Come on. I do agree that they need to bring back the OG uniforms in some capacity, maybe not full time but at least once or twice a year

1 minute ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Imagine thinking Nords, Nordlys or Norths is somehow any better than Wild lol.

I'd say that they're much better. They're not singular or as amorphous as "Wild," and they call back to the original name. Lol.

If you want the North Stars name back, don't settle for a cheap, half assed imitation.

It's "creatively getting around restrictions," not "cheap, half-assed imitation."

Norsemen? Do they also need to switch to purple and gold? Come on.

Hey, it's just a thought. You seem to be taking this really personally that some people are sick of Wild and think the name ruins the whole package. You seem to take every slight against your opinions pretty personally, deeming to mock other posters for disagreeing with you.

Archived