2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, steve61 said:

I know people generally don't like the orange pants but this might be one of my favourite Oilers looks of all time.  I wish they'd promote it to a 3rd.

14 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Agreed.  Think it looks great 

Orange Oilers, despite being more associated with the WHA than the NHL Dynasty, the colors just fit really nicely. It works and I agree that it looks good.

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Why is this so hard?

b1QMmzM.jpg

Personally, this is a really dated design visually. Straight full-arm yokes lost their fashion a while ago (really only Columbus and Winnipeg even still use them), and the weird cut-off arm stripes don't help. The closest comparable to this Dallas setup is Winnipeg's white, but even then those are full stripes, not ones that just cut off on the dark jersey.

The furthest back the Stars seem comfortable going in their own history in Dallas is the star jerseys, and since the Wild have rolled around they don't seem to touch the North Stars that often in terms of throwbacks, either; hence why their RR was the '99 star while Minnesota took the North Stars jersey.

They've worn this jersey a grand total of once since it was initially retired, and that was for a warmup on their 25th anniversary. This Reverse Retro program could have been the point they decided to do a throwback to it as a full alternate, but they did the star design instead. Makes me think they're actively trying to just put the North Stars stuff in the rear view and focus on every design that's unique to Dallas in their history for the most part.

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Why is this so hard?

b1QMmzM.jpg

Could be that they wanted a black jersey with a green that pops more. This jersey is mostly B&W with a green star logo, the green stripes don't stand out much.

Nostalgically, that would be a great mid 90s throwback. Aesthetically, it's not their strongest jersey design and it appears to be at the bottom of the team's list of favorites.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Nostalgically, that would be a great mid 90s throwback. Aesthetically, it's not their strongest jersey design and it appears to be at the bottom of the team's list of favorites.

If it wasn't for their first edge set, it would be the worst jersey of the franchise. Maybe in the top 10 worst of the league imo

6 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Why is this so hard?

b1QMmzM.jpg

Chef's kiss. Who cares if the green doesn't pop. Why does everything need to pop? It looks cool. The logo looks great on black.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Could be that they wanted a black jersey with a green that pops more. This jersey is mostly B&W with a green star logo, the green stripes don't stand out much.

Guys, it's a Reverse Retro. That jersey would be green with black stripes, and although gorgeous, it might be too similar to what they're wearing.

If they went with a white version...

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

They could've done a black star jersey if they really felt like having a black RR. I don't see why they need to throw back to a uniform that was purposefully bland because the team's then-owner just wanted a uniform he could take to wherever he dropped the team.

Legit, I'd rather a green Mooterus over those original Stars jerseys. At least that'd be weird and interesting.

44 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Because the green isn’t visible against the black otherwise.

I can see it. I think everyone can see it. Again, I don't know why everything needs to pop. It might be subtle but it's there.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

10 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I can see it. I think everyone can see it. Again, I don't know why everything needs to pop. It might be subtle but it's there.

In that picture sure, but on the ice you can’t see it, even in the close up shots it was hard unless the players weren’t moving before a face off or something.

spacer.png

Look at the way the victory green on the socks really catches the eye over the dark forest-y green color of the actual jersey. From a distance, that dark green against black is hard to read, and the entire uniform is just...bland. It's a basic template and a dull, dark color scheme.

Like, it was kinda old looking when it debuted; this was the same time that the Sharks, Ducks and Panthers were all coming in and really playing with color and striping design, and then there's these with their dingy dark green and black colors and basic 80's arm-yoke design. It feels sterile, in a way, compared to what came afterwards (the star jersey and their current look) and the contemporary expansion teams of the same time period.

There's subtle like the Hurricanes' warning flags on their current jerseys and then there's being muddled. The dark green is the latter against a black backdrop, and I don't think there's enough design here to really be all that exciting, either. The star jerseys at least had an interesting design, even with darker colors. These feel exactly what they were; generic jerseys made to easily apply to anywhere that Norm happened to move the North Stars.

There's a reason the only change made to these after the move from Minnesota was just to add the Texas logo to the shoulders and the obligatory logo edit.

Like, look at this;

spacer.png

Where's the green here? It's so dark that I literally can't tell where it is, even though I know where it is.

Archived