2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The only acceptable Oilers primary, home-uniform.  They had it perfect in 2012, why experiment with orange and navy now...

FQILDKj.jpg

The retros full-time didn't last long. Did Oilers fans get tired of royal blue and orange? Someone wanted to darken the colors. The throwback phase they were in got...phased out, after only 4-5 years.

They could have just kept the orange/navy one as the alt. If the throwbacks were too sacred to change, I think someone would have stepped in to prevent the switch. Instead, they were quickly disposed of, in favor of a return to navy, the color they previously used for 16 straight seasons.

19 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

I think this logo would work the best if the Lightning ever decided to correct course (ignore the rest of the concept)

Reveal hidden contents

Eqp8O4hXYAEcMDC?format=jpg&name=4096x409

That TBL crest, with lighter black shadows on the Reverse Retro could look decent.

Black is badly missing in their full-time look.

13 hours ago, NYRFan said:

I'm with you! My fear is that they think they have something great, and I see no evidence to that.  I hear people ragging on that sweater here, on podcasts, on Twitter. Are there metrics that say otherwise? We're gonna look back in 10 to 15 years and remember this period of dark navy and black alts sans white as a low point, at least in terms of league alts. Don't think we'll look back fondly on TB, SJ, Philly alts from this period...

It's the same as when every other team had a double blue alternate and/or a roundel logo ten years ago

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The only acceptable Oilers primary, home-uniform.  They had it perfect in 2012, why experiment with orange and navy now...

FQILDKj.jpg

They looked like a bad team cosplaying as a good team from the late 70s-80s. It was fine as an alternate worn a few times a year for nostalgia's sake, but it looks incredibly dated and garish now

3 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

It was fine as an alternate worn a few times a year for nostalgia's sake, but it looks incredibly dated and garish now

And the "pylons with navy" look isn't horribly garish now? I'd argue that there's value to a team looking the way they did when they were at the pinnacle of their franchise history, and that's the 80's for the Oilers.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

And the "pylons with navy" look isn't horribly garish now? I'd argue that there's value to a team looking the way they did when they were at the pinnacle of their franchise, and that's the 80's for the Oilers.

gar·ish
/ˈɡeriSH/
adjective
adjective: garish
  1. obtrusively bright and showy; lurid.

So no, not garish at all. It's just a trendy "stealth" jersey. They might have looked good in the early 80s but it's been almost 40 years now and they haven't won anything since. Time to move on. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's timeless

7 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

They looked like a bad team cosplaying as a good team from the late 70s-80s. It was fine as an alternate worn a few times a year for nostalgia's sake, but it looks incredibly dated and garish now

What about the look is garish? It's a traditional sweater with clean lines and brighter colors (a color combo seen across the sports landscape in 2021), so how is it dated? It's not nouveau and flashy and hyper-modern, sure, but...

9 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:
So no, not garish at all. It's just a trendy "stealth" jersey. They might have looked good in the early 80s but it's been almost 40 years now and they haven't won anything since. Time to move on. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's timeless

And the current set looks like crap now and they haven't won anything in those, either. The Islanders tried to be hip cats and get away from their dynasty look and never look back. Guess what happened? Fans forced them back kicking and screaming. I foresee a similar fate for the Oilers; try to diversify, have it blow up and eventually returning to the classic look.

What's more inspiring a uniform to wear for a player, the same design legendary players like Wayne :censored:ing Gretzky and Jari Kurri wore as they championed the most dominant Stanley Cup dynasty since the 70's Habs or the look of a team that got it's ass kicked by a Chicago team that wouldn't even have made the playoffs had the year fully gone through? I'd take something that looks great over a hockey team made up of road pylons anyday, thanks. The Dayglo orange and navy has always and will always look like crap.

At least the navy and copper look had a conference title (and probably would've had the Cup in 05/06 had Roloson not gotten hurt). This current look has literally no hardware to its name.

Both dark Oilers jerseys are garish.  The home makes them look like pylons and the alternate, amazingly, makes the colours look even worse by band-wagoning on the 'stealth' trend in the most half-assed way imaginable. 

48 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

At least the navy and copper look had a conference title (and probably would've had the Cup in 05/06 had Roloson not gotten hurt). This current look has literally no hardware to its name.

The current orange jerseys are WHA-inspired with 2000s navy blue instead of royal. No Stanley Cup history.

11 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

What about the look is garish? It's a traditional sweater with clean lines and brighter colors (a color combo seen across the sports landscape in 2021), so how is it dated? It's not nouveau and flashy and hyper-modern, sure, but...

The Islanders pull off the same colors way better by doing these things: thicker stripes, no shoulder yoke, white number on the blue jerseys. The logo looks extremely dated and the colors don't exactly help

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

And the current set looks like crap now and they haven't won anything in those, either. The Islanders tried to be hip cats and get away from their dynasty look and never look back. Guess what happened? Fans forced them back kicking and screaming. I foresee a similar fate for the Oilers; try to diversify, have it blow up and eventually returning to the classic look.

What's more inspiring a uniform to wear for a player, the same design legendary players like Wayne :censored:ing Gretzky and Jari Kurri wore as they championed the most dominant Stanley Cup dynasty since the 70's Habs or the look of a team that got it's ass kicked by a Chicago team that wouldn't even have made the playoffs had the year fully gone through? I'd take something that looks great over a hockey team made up of road pylons anyday, thanks. The Dayglo orange and navy has always and will always look like crap.

I'm not saying their current look is any better. I've been saying the logo looks awful for a few pages, you even replied to me a few times lol. I'm saying they need to go back to the drawing board. We both agree that navy and copper looked better and is a good place to start, but the logo still looked bad in navy, red and copper cause it's mostly the logo that is the problem imo

6 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Both dark Oilers jerseys are garish.  The home makes them look like pylons and the alternate, amazingly, makes the colours look even worse by band-wagoning on the 'stealth' trend in the most half-assed way imaginable. 

Nah, the orange jersey is garish, the navy one is the opposite, the lack of white makes it look muddy

There is an opportunity where the Oilers can work with navy and orange. The issue is they for who knows what reason sped headfirst into the WHA look right before the rebrand for McDavid's first playoff appearance, then stuck with it for the rebrand. If you just use the dynasty era template and replace the royal with the navy, it works. But going orange primary and having the stealth fad chasing alternate doesn't work.

Now as for which blue the Oilers should use? If they're going to be going to be pushing these navy alts, then the answer's definitely the royal. If they had given the alternate the same striping as the home? I'd be more receptive to the navy.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

7 hours ago, insert name said:

I was never on board with the switch to orange/navy for the Oilers. The previous orange alt was fine but they shouldn't have gone the direction they went. They are a Royal Blue/Orange team. No reason to go in any other direction. This goes for the Islanders too. Navy just doesn't work for them. 

IMO the Isles looked great in navy pre-Edge.  Why they strayed from that look, I have no clue.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived