2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

I think the grey works nicely in the original white jersey.  But in the current burgundy jersey the grey looks wrong- I prefer the old black and white (http://www.nhluniforms.com/Avalanche/Images/Avalanche06.png).  So I don't know what the heck the answer is :)  Personally I don't think blue breezers are ideal.  If they insist on that, I wonder what the jersey would look like flipping bottom burgundy to blue (so burgundy and blue don't touch)  Pardon the quality:

QewJZFr.png

for me that at least fixes the ugly contrast currently present, but shifts a burgundy team too far blue IMO

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I feel like number changes don't have the same sort of deadlines as jersey design changes. I remember when Tampa rebranded with single-colour numbers originally. People complained about the lack of black in the design, so they quickly scrambled and switched to double-outlined numbers with black trim.

9 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

They also added the lightning bolt back on the pants. So adding burgundy to the gloves and pants is definitely doable

They also unveiled the new uniforms roughly nine months before they started wearing them, so they had extra time to make changes and get approval.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

9 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

I think the grey works nicely in the original white jersey.  But in the current burgundy jersey the grey looks wrong- I prefer the old black and white (http://www.nhluniforms.com/Avalanche/Images/Avalanche06.png).  So I don't know what the heck the answer is :)  Personally I don't think blue breezers are ideal.  If they insist on that, I wonder what the jersey would look like flipping bottom burgundy to blue (so burgundy and blue don't touch)  Pardon the quality:

QewJZFr.png

for me that at least fixes the ugly contrast currently present, but shifts a burgundy team too far blue IMO

That looks bad (No contrast on the breezers gives it the same problem the burgundy jerseys have with the pants looking like they're too high.

However, you just perfectly fixed the number problem.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Count me in as a fan of Colorado's blue equipment. A bit weird that the road numbers are still black, but maybe that's a change they make down the line. I'm thinking they're testing the waters with blue gear for now, and if it's really that unpopular with Avs fans they could easily switch back to black without any major changes to the jerseys.

I kind of liked the idea of the Golden Knights third when they unveiled it, but seeing it in game it looks mustardy and really not very good - probably not helped by being paired against the Ducks terrible road whites.

Now that the Flames have gone full retro, I think them and the Canucks are easily my favourite matchup in the current NHL. But they absolutely should bring back the 2004 red jersey as a third.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Colorado badly needs to change the away numbers to blue.  They need to remove ALL black from the uniform. It has no place anymore. There is no black on the stripes, the socks, or the equipment. It is oddly just on the numbers and really sticks out. If they change the numbers to blue, it easily solves most of the jerseys issues.

image.png  image.png

4 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Colorado badly needs to change the away numbers to blue.  They need to remove ALL black from the uniform. It has no place anymore. There is no black on the stripes, the socks, or the equipment. It is oddly just on the numbers and really sticks out. If they change the numbers to blue, it easily solves most of the jerseys issues.

image.png  image.png

Yup. Perfect. No need to change or add any stripes on the jersey if you go with blue numbers

Gold should definitely be the color of their primary home jersey.

NVJL114-121_2021_052837.jpg

EsO7kKtVkAEszke?format=jpg

---

The grey looks a little off, when it's used as the secondary color with the alts. A bit more black might compliment the gold better, perhaps black pants? But that specialized gold color with the glistening effect is definitely perfect for a team in Las Vegas. Now they truly are the "Golden" Knights, not the Silver Knights.

I'd be okay if they tried gold helmets, just to see what they'd look like. It would be consistent with the Knight's head armor on the crest.

Eh, I heavily prefer the gray to gold as Vegas' primary home color. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is a gorgeous uniform, and replacing it with some gaudy golden mess that looks worse on the ice as the primary home jersey just because "it's Vegas and they're Golden Knights" is silly. The gray base is completely unique to them in the NHL; gold is Nashville's thing, for better or worse, and the gold jersey just looks too inconsistent under different lighting for me to like it as a main look; sometimes it looks alright, sometimes it looks like a revival of the mustard Preds jersey.

10 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

---

The grey looks a little off, when it's used as the secondary color with the alts. A bit more black might compliment the gold better, perhaps black pants? But that specialized gold color with the glistening effect is definitely perfect for a team in Las Vegas. Now they truly are the "Golden" Knights, not the Silver Knights.

I'd be okay if they tried gold helmets, just to see what they'd look like. It would be consistent with the Knight's head armor on the crest.

IDK... there is something I just don't dig about this gold or this set. The red stripe looks pointless. Hell, the white looks pointless too. Maybe it would be better just two colors - Gold and grey? Something just feels forced and the shade is not impressive in game action 

25 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

---

I don't like the thick white stripes at all. Also, it just looks mustard yellow from a distance. Nope

13 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I don't like the thick white stripes at all. Also, it just looks mustard yellow from a distance. Nope

I'm okay with that gold color because up close and semi-close, it looks really good. From a distance, it's true but I don't really mind it.

I do agree that the set needs a few adjustments.

5 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

IDK... there is something I just don't dig about this gold or this set. The red stripe looks pointless. Hell, the white looks pointless too. Maybe it would be better just two colors - Gold and grey? Something just feels forced and the shade is not impressive in game action 

I've really never been a fan of red at all in their total look. It always looks out of place

13 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

image.png  image.png

This is somewhat similar to the Canadiens’ away unis. Distinctly red up top, blue pants. Habs make it work with blue numbers, but I hope that if the Avs change to blue numbers, it won’t look too familiar.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:09 PM, Ridleylash said:

replacing it with some gaudy golden mess that looks worse on the ice as the primary home jersey just because "it's Vegas and they're Golden Knights" is silly.

The Boston "Red" Sox could wear navy from head to the waist down, as long as their sox are red, they're good.

In all seriousness, it is true that the stripes on the original look better. But the team has promoted the gold a lot since the unveiling. What will be interesting is to see which jersey they choose to go with for the playoffs, whether it's silver or gold.

At first, I thought the VGK got it right the 1st time. But it's because their new junior affiliate team is called the Silver Knights and they're actually silver, that kind of messed things up a bit cause now they're both silver. I know it's just a hot take from me.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Hot take warning: The Oilers need to completely change their logos and colors. If not for the 80s dynasty and Gretzky, we'd be seeing their logo and colors for what they are, an extremely dated product of the 70s that has aged horribly. I think going with navy is a step in the right direction at least. We need to take off the nostalgia goggles, going retro sometimes work when the team got it right the first time but imo, the Oilers don't apply. They were onto something in the 90s with the oil worker shoulder patch and copper as a secondary color, not quite it, but it was something. The McFarlane thirds were also onto something, that logo was better than the dated roundel with the disco font and silver and navy is a good color combo that's not used much in the NHL

What do you think of the logo tweak I did? It's not as Western, but it looks modern for sure:

rsmcIVp.png

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

---

The grey primary looks better in a vacuum, but the gold set fits better when you put it side-by-side with the white jerseys. I wonder if they'll ever try wearing the grey pants with the away uniform. 

I really like the gold but I'd personally rather see it stay as an alternate. The thick white stripes actually make the white gloves work more than I thought they would. I'm fine with the shade of gold, but I was also a big fan of the Preds' mustard jerseys.

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I know this is technically gold, but I can't help but read it as mustard. Is it much different from that strange shade of mustard that the Predators used all those years ago in that terrible alternate with the oddly shaped collar? 

There are several things I dislike about that Vegas gold jersey, the strange deep gold hue being No. 1. From that first closeup look, it's clear that the color of the fabric contrasts with the shade used on the logo. That's another reason why relegating gold to an accent color -- especially with that brocade texturing -- is the smart move. They can throw these things on the dust heap. 

2 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

What do you think of the logo tweak I did? It's not as Western, but it looks modern for sure:

rsmcIVp.png

Subtle, but that does look a lot better. Step in the right direction for sure, but I don't even think the text is needed. Or maybe just much smaller and without the drop on the lettersspacer.png

Something like that maybe, just with the oil drop taking more space in the circle. They have a logo I've never seen before on the tarp in the stands over their bench. Wish I could find a picture of it, I thought it looked pretty good

42 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Subtle, but that does look a lot better. Step in the right direction for sure, but I don't even think the text is needed. Or maybe just much smaller and without the drop on the lettersspacer.png

Something like that maybe, just with the oil drop taking more space in the circle. They have a logo I've never seen before on the tarp in the stands over their bench. Wish I could find a picture of it, I thought it looked pretty good

spacer.png

Archived