Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

34 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

I didn't mind this look from their soon-to-be gone sset. I couldn't find the game they wore them in, but I think it's a nice look so long as the go O/B/O

spacer.png

Oof, I don’t think that’s a good look at all. Not just because their last set was awful, but I also just generally don’t think light/light/dark combos look that good if the helmets and jerseys aren’t white (or at least the jerseys). It looks a little bottom-heavy, and it doesn’t help that brown pants are by far the worst of the three pant color options for the Browns IMO. Frankly I think brown pants are completely unnecessary and unwarranted for the Browns, but if they do have them they should only ever be worn with the white tops. Orange/orange/white is a far superior look as far as the orange tops are concerned, and one that has historical relevance as well as they wore O/O/W once in ‘53 and in preseason of ‘54 and ‘55, and then obviously had the O/O/W alternates from ‘02-‘04. And with their outgoing set they wore O/O/W I believe three out of the four times they ever wore those orange tops.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Nope, they really should only ever wear white pants when wearing orange jerseys. No mono-orange, no orange over brown. 

I agree with mono orange, but not with orange over brown. This combo provide great contrast and looks good for Browns especially if they use orange socks to that.

4r2eer.png

7 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I agree with mono orange, but not with orange over brown. This combo provide great contrast and looks good for Browns especially if they use orange socks to that.

Agree to disagree then. I think it looks unbalanced and far inferior to O/O/W. Again, IMO they shouldn’t even have brown pants as there isn’t a single combo of theirs that would look better with brown pants as opposed to white or orange. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

41 minutes ago, scraw28 said:

The Yankees wore the same uniform for about 100 seasons and won 27 titles ....

They made living in the past cool 

You actually know that that’s not completely true about the Yankees, right?

Babe Ruth, other than in appearances after he was retired, never wore a Yankee jersey with the NY insignia on it. His Yankee home uniforms just were plain pinstripes.  And the road set varied during his playing career, too: having either “New York” or “Yankees” across the front.

(This is one of my favorite pieces of both uniform and sports trivia).

25 minutes ago, sealbrownandorange said:

These helmets are for sale in the Browns' Shop:

spacer.png

spacer.png

They’ve been available for months.

Riddell made white mini helmets for all teams and the bottom one is an Amp helmet. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, CLEstones said:

All that is fine and well.  But that's also the franchise's (and by extension, the City's) biggest problem.  We are constantly living in the old days instead of blaze a new path. We always have to go back to the old times, we always have to look back with fondness, with always have to live in the past.  It get's so frustrating to constantly hear about the old times and that old was better bla bla bla.  As a younger fan, a younger person, it's just like ok ok we got it, we surrender, the old times, got it.  Let's keep everything old... old uniforms, old style football, old ideas, old government, od businesses, old business models, old everything... old old old.  It just gets... well... OLD.  God forbid we spice it up in the City and not live for what things were like 50 years ago.

Great Lakes cities should be pretty traditional in how their sports teams look. Save trying too hard to look new for places like Phoenix, Nashville, and Atlanta. I'll allow for the Cavaliers being modern, it's the NBA, but the Browns and Indians should remain old-fashioned.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Burn the first one 

Hail the second one

Which one will you marry?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 hours ago, CLEstones said:

All that is fine and well.  But that's also the franchise's (and by extension, the City's) biggest problem.  We are constantly living in the old days instead of blaze a new path. We always have to go back to the old times, we always have to look back with fondness, with always have to live in the past.  It get's so frustrating to constantly hear about the old times and that old was better bla bla bla.  As a younger fan, a younger person, it's just like ok ok we got it, we surrender, the old times, got it.  Let's keep everything old... old uniforms, old style football, old ideas, old government, od businesses, old business models, old everything... old old old.  It just gets... well... OLD.  God forbid we spice it up in the City and not live for what things were like 50 years ago.

Cleveland is a traditional football market. They should look traditional. You don't see Yankees or Canadiens fans lamenting their old fashion looks they've had for close to a century, do you? 

And guess what? The Kansas City Chiefs just won the Super Bowl- their first in fifty years- wearing OLD fashion uniforms. Wearing those classic Chiefs unis didn't seem to hold them back, did it?

And that's a good thing. The Chiefs are on top of the football world again, and they did it looking like the Chiefs. Imagine if they won it wearing some Nike-fied mono black monstrosity with shards of colour standing in for pants stripes. Or would that be "better" because it was "blazing a new path"? 

Give me a break. The soon to be retired Browns uni wasn't even a "modern" look. It was the old look made to look as ugly and ridiculous as possible in an attempt to sell it to the 🔥🔥🔥 crowd. 

You seem to want anything new. Who cares as long as it's not a retread! 

Only that's the thing- their attempt at something new sucked. You think the team ditching them at the first opportunity is a coincidence? No. It's because the fact is they just didn't work for fans. Browns fans hated them, football fans in general ridiculed them. 

In that context? Going back to the Cleveland Browns' established look is a good idea. 

16 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Not that there is shame in it... but the Bucs "old" uniforms still had something unique to them with the pewter. 

The Browns' classic look is plenty unique. No other pro sports team uses brown and orange, and no other NFL team has a logo-less helmet. 

They don't need an oversized CLEVELAND wordmark or contrasting stitching to look unique.

Additionally- The city of Cleveland raised hell when Modell moved the original team. So much so that they got a guaranteed expansion team plus the original team's logos, colours, and record books. It was unprecedented at the time and set a new standard for how relocations worked (somewhat...the old way still happens too). 

If "blazing a new path" was so important? Y'all should have let the Browns move to Baltimore with the name intact so your new team could be the Bulldogs or Cannons or whatever. 

My point is...the city of Cleveland refused to accept anything short of the Browns. Well ok. Then they ought to look like the Browns. That was the whole point! 

I still think the Browns uniforms were a few tweaks away from being good but the classic look is far superior anyways. I feel the same way about the Buccaneers.  In fact, if I'm gonna be completely honest, the Bucs didn't even need to change uniforms, they just needed to change the number font and shrink the helmet logo down.

bSLCtu2.png

This is pretty much the ideal scenario for the new Browns uniforms IMO:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Realistically I’ll be surprised if there are striped socks across the board. I could definitely see them going with the striped white socks since they still had those through 2014, but I’m less optimistic about there being striped brown socks. Frankly I could see them just going with solid brown, orange, and white socks since that’s what they did all of last season. Also in a perfect world I’d prefer the return to gray facemasks, but we know those are staying brown, which is what’s reflected in these mockups. As for the pants I really hope they just stick to white and orange (unless they keep the current Color Rush design, in which case I’m fine with those brown pants provided they’re only worn with the CR jerseys). 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

13 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

This is pretty much the ideal scenario for the new Browns uniforms IMO:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Realistically I’ll be surprised if there are striped socks across the board. I could definitely see them going with the striped white socks since they still had those through 2014, but I’m less optimistic about there being striped brown socks. Frankly I could see them just going with solid brown, orange, and white socks since that’s what they did all of last season. Also in a perfect world I’d prefer the return to gray facemasks, but we know those are staying brown, which is what’s reflected in these mockups. As for the pants I really hope they just stick to white and orange (unless they keep the current Color Rush design, in which case I’m fine with those brown pants provided they’re only worn with the CR jerseys). 

That's as perfect as they could ever look

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They’ve been available for months.

Riddell made white mini helmets for all teams and the bottom one is an Amp helmet. 

Thanks for the clarification on this. As an aside, I wonder what the sales on these things have been like? Personally, I can't see paying $30 for the mini and upwards of $200 - $300 for an alternate that's never going to see the field. But, to each his own...

There's no good reason for them to have brown pants when white pants would look much better with their white jerseys and orange pants would also look okay. Consider that the Browns wore all white home and away for a good portion of their history, and the idea of this redesign is to get them back in touch with their history. Not having brown pants available also idiot-proofs them against wearing brown pants with brown jerseys and socks, thus sparing us a Twitter deluge of poo jokes. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived