Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

8 hours ago, canzman said:

No it doesn't... If you look close you can see some subtle differences.

ZWrDkpT.jpg

Practice field is a modern block not traditional... combination of sharp angles and rounded edges

The 2008 numbers there look a little bit different than the photo of the 2008 field, but I'll defer.

The bottom font is definitely a Nike creation, with the curves and angles and squared serifs mixed. Not quite as bad as 2014 Dolphins. But it's horrible. "23" doesn't look like the same font, and "56", with the squared 5 and the round 6, look like two different fonts as well. Pretty bad. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Def a mix of curves and angles. At least the angles are consistently in the same place, even if they look ridiculous. That would be yet another “custom for custom’s sake” font, if it makes it to the jerseys. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The 2008 numbers there look a little bit different than the photo of the 2008 field, but I'll defer.

The bottom font is definitely a Nike creation, with the curves and angles and squared serifs mixed. Not quite as bad as 2014 Dolphins. But it's horrible. "23" doesn't look like the same font, and "56", with the squared 5 and the round 6, look like two different fonts as well. Pretty bad. 

Again, I think the branding and helmets are typically done by the league, which is why we often see a disconnect between uniforms and helmets and also between uniform typography and wordmarks.

Case in point: every time we hear about a new uniform, we get a dozen aspiring detectives posting spy pics and screen grabs and thinking they’ve uncovered a font bread crumb, but how many recent redesigns have actually included uniform typography with a connection to the branding/wordmark typography?

Teams simply don’t plan to that level of detail, and many uniform designers don’t consider what they do to be part of identity or branding (I disagree), so the numbers often end up being designed as part of the uniform’s “story” rather than as a piece of the branding puzzle or identity toolbox.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That wouldn't be from 2018 since it's the (superior) gray mask, unless they never updated it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, canzman said:

No it doesn't... If you look close you can see some subtle differences.

ZWrDkpT.jpg

Practice field is a modern block not traditional... combination of sharp angles and rounded edges

They need to standardize the font.  The new wordmark from the last rebrand utilizes the bottom font.  They need to carry this to media, marketing, jerseys, and hopefully on field.  We need cohesiveness.

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That wouldn't be from 2018 since it's the (superior) gray mask, unless they never updated it.

I’m 95% positive they never did. I recall the old end zone being there this past season still. 

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

They need to standardize the font.  The new wordmark from the last rebrand utilizes the bottom font.  They need to carry this to media, marketing, jerseys, and hopefully on field.  We need cohesiveness.

There's really no requirement that the wordmark match the number font. In fact, the better looks in the league have zero connection between the two. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

54 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

There's really no requirement that the wordmark match the number font. In fact, the better looks in the league have zero connection between the two. 

It’s likely because (I’m assuming) most of the looks you’re thinking of use regular block numbers, which usually have enough stylistic contrast to pair well with a differently styled wordmark and logo.

But... the Browns did look better when their uniform numbers and their wordmark were both a standard block style. The Browns’ brand is probably best positioned to pull that off, as their lack of style *is* their style, historically speaking.

I would prefer they go back to this well in terms of typography, not because I hate the new one, but because I think this one best fit who they are (and have always been):

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I never said there was a requirement.  But the Browns dont have any real logo or brand.  So standardizing their fonts would go a long way, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

the Browns dont have any real logo or brand.  So standardizing their fonts would go a long way, in my opinion.

I would disagree with you there.  The Browns had a very solid brand: "old school football".  Or at least they did, until the most recent mess.

They would be well-served to adopt a set of very traditional uniform elements, all of which create precisely the cohesive larger brand that the matchy-matchy custom number fonts are desperately trying for.

Archived