The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

Just a friendly reminder, folks. If you're going to talk numbers on the virus, you need to back them up by citing a legitimate source. We made it very clear that we aren't going to allow speculation on this matter. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

That is why these large stadium events are being canceled right now.  It's to prevent a spread from lasting that long.  Whether or not it will work remains to be seen.  It will affect free agency and the draft, but I think that they hope it will be gone by the time their season kicks off.  That remains to be seen.  

The goal in cancelling large events is precisely the opposite... they don’t want massive waves of patients that would overwhelm the health system. In Italy, every patient cannot get the care they require because there are so many. If they are actually successful at slowing down the spread of the virus? It could be a while.

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Just a friendly reminder, folks. If you're going to talk numbers on the virus, you need to back them up by citing a legitimate source. We made it very clear that we aren't going to allow speculation on this matter. 

I did.  My link shows the mortality rate. 

The “could see up to 150M infected” number comes from Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of the U.S. Congress:

www.axios.com/congressional-physician-predicts-75-150-million-us-coronavirus-cases-fec69e77-1515-4fbc-8340-c53b65c22c53.html

It may be speculation, but it’s neither my speculation nor uninformed speculation. It is instead a very real possibility, which is why the leagues are right to take these actions. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I did.  My link shows the mortality rate. 

The “could see up to 150M infected” number comes from Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of the U.S. Congress:

www.axios.com/congressional-physician-predicts-75-150-million-us-coronavirus-cases-fec69e77-1515-4fbc-8340-c53b65c22c53.html

It may be speculation, but it’s neither my speculation nor uninformed speculation. It is instead a very real possibility, which is why the leagues are right to take these actions. 

Informed or not, it's still speculation. Let's keep this to what we actually know. 

There is also a "very real possibility" that it doesn't happen. We aren't going down the possibilities rabbit hole. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Informed or not, it's still speculation. Let's keep this to what we actually know. 

There is also a "very real possibility" that it doesn't happen. 

Of course there is a possibility that it doesn't happen.  Especially now that the country is taking these affirmative steps.

But to say that we can't talk about the very real reasons why they are doing this?  As expressed by experts?  That's kinda crazy.

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Of course there is a possibility that it doesn't happen.  Especially now that the country is taking these affirmative steps.

But to say that we can't talk about the very real reasons why they are doing this?  As expressed by experts?  That's kinda crazy.

Which is precisely why we aren't allowing speculation in this discussion. For every prediction one person makes, someone else is going to go in the opposite direction and before we know it, the conspiracies start flying, arguments are everywhere, and I have to lock the thread - which would take me away from important matters like my fantasy baseball draft and preparing for the Glorious Tournament of Victory. B)

We all know the "very real reasons" they're doing this. We could play the "possibilities" game all day and when we're done, we're still right here with the original problem. That, my friend, is one of the reasons we want to limit the stats discussion to just the facts. Fair enough? 

It very well may be kinda crazy. This whole thing is crazy. Ain't like any of us have been here before. 

BB52Big.jpg

The Masters are postponed. 

WE LIVE IN A SPORTLESS WORLDDDD

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Which is precisely why we aren't allowing speculation in this discussion. For every prediction one person makes, someone else is going to go in the opposite direction and before we know it, the conspiracies start flying, arguments are everywhere, and I have to lock the thread

I get what you're saying, but let's not contribute to the death of expertise.  People who know what they're talking about should be listened to.

If anybody wants to post the informed opinion of a medical expert that "goes in the opposite direction", that's not a bad thing.

Just now, Gothamite said:

I get what you're saying, but let's not contribute to the death of expertise.  People who know what they're talking about should be listened to.

If anybody wants to post the informed opinion of a medical expert that "goes in the opposite direction", that's not a bad thing.

And I get what you're saying. That being said... We're not contributing to the "death of expertise." What we're trying to do is contribute to the death of hysteria and fear. That's not a bad thing either.

Posting a prediction that says we could possibly have 150 million cases and 3 million deaths does what for the conversation, exactly? Let people know how serious this is? Is there anyone here who didn't already know that? All I'm asking is that we do our level best to keep the conversation from turning into a freakout session. And we do that by sticking to cold hard facts. Not to mention, you post those numbers here and two hours later I can't buy a 12 pack of Coca-Cola at Walmart. Some yahoo will buy up the entire stock because the neighbor kid said on Facebook that he read 150 million people are going to die this week. B)

BB52Big.jpg

26 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

And I get what you're saying. That being said... We're not contributing to the "death of expertise." What we're trying to do is contribute to the death of hysteria and fear. That's not a bad thing either.

Posting a prediction that says we could possibly have 150 million cases and 3 million deaths does what for the conversation, exactly? Let people know how serious this is? Is there anyone here who didn't already know that? All I'm asking is that we do our level best to keep the conversation from turning into a freakout session. And we do that by sticking to cold hard facts. Not to mention, you post those numbers here and two hours later I can't buy a 12 pack of Coca-Cola at Walmart. Some yahoo will buy up the entire stock because the neighbor kid said on Facebook that he read 150 million people are going to die this week. B)

Maybe we can pin some reminders to everyone during this time of global pandemic: wash your hands, avoid unnecessary outings, be nice to one another, and don't touch your face.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

29 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Is there anyone here who didn't already know that? All I'm asking is that we do our level best to keep the conversation from turning into a freakout session.

I understand this is an unprecedented situation to moderate, but I think this is a strange tack to take. You know darn well there are people here who don't think this is serious. We're two or three days removed from a basketball player testing positive after touching everything in sight to mock the threat. A certain cable channel is literally telling its viewers that it's a political plot and a North Korean bioweapon. Sticking to the facts without the context in this situation (I think) would lead to underestimating the problems society faces. The facts are that a few thousand people in the US are sick and a few dozen have died is not that noteworthy in a country of 350M. The context of every health expert telling us this is going to get worse is the reason everything is cancelled. The facts are the tracks are clear; the context is every expert in the world says there's a train coming.

31 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I understand this is an unprecedented situation to moderate, but I think this is a strange tack to take. You know darn well there are people here who don't think this is serious. We're two or three days removed from a basketball player testing positive after touching everything in sight to mock the threat. A certain cable channel is literally telling its viewers that it's a political plot and a North Korean bioweapon. Sticking to the facts without the context in this situation (I think) would lead to underestimating the problems society faces. The facts are that a few thousand people in the US are sick and a few dozen have died is not that noteworthy in a country of 350M. The context of every health expert telling us this is going to get worse is the reason everything is cancelled. The facts are the tracks are clear; the context is every expert in the world says there's a train coming.

In a sense, I get what you are saying but there needs to be some form of balance. An article about an educated guess that this virus may affect upwards to 150 million people is just conjecture. All we know (well, most of us) is that it is really bad and will probably get worse. But we also do not know that with 100% confidence. Unfortunately, the people who think this is just the flu (one of my family members included) will never change their mind until it were to directly affect them. I think the moderators have to, well, moderate this situation as vest as possible. 

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, as I respect the opinions of almost everyone on here. I'm just trying to throw a bit of support behind the moderators.

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I never realized before how often I touch my face.

Like, constantly.

I just said this to a coworker this morning. I do it constantly as well.

One thing to keep in mind with all these figures flying around is that they usually come with the caveat of "if nothing is done to mitigate the spread as if its 14th century Europe and we still think bad air and bodily humor imbalance spreads disease". We've clearly intervened. Now, it's probably still going to be bad but not we're all going to die bad.

5 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

One thing to keep in mind with all these figures flying around is that they usually come with the caveat of "if nothing is done to mitigate the spread as if its 14th century Europe and we still think bad air and bodily humor imbalance spreads disease". We've clearly intervened. Now, it's probably still going to be bad but not we're all going to die bad.

As bad as this may become, the Black Death, it is not. 

Archived