The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

20 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They need to figure out television, whether or not to use cameramen or use drones.  Also they would need to separate the announcers, although they could use news broadcasts as a template on how to do that.  I don't watch PGA, so I don't know if they still use caddies.

None of that should present much of an issue. Cameramen are usually remote from the action up in cherry pickers and the like off the course. Announcers don't even have to be on site, never mind near each other as things like ESPN's KBO coverage have proved. Caddies could be an issue, but the risk could be somewhat mitigated by mask use and sanitizer. Assuming they don't just make the golfers carry their own gear for a change like the rest of us or allow carts as a temporary measure. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

This whole thing is stressing me out.  Think it is really reasonable to give the CFL the money.  It is a loan.  This is not just about a sports league.  It is about preserving a game that is part of our Canadian heritage.  I just want to hear that they have been given the green light to receive the money and It would help me relax a bit.

Well that's not good...

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29147853/cfl-commissioner-says-canceling-season-likely

CFL is looking at a likely lost season according to their commissioner. 

On 5/7/2020 at 5:53 PM, bosrs1 said:

I mean their choices from what I’ve heard were fight or fold. So not much of a choice. Bundesliga is supposedly in the same boat with up to 13 teams that would have to declare whatever the Germans call bankruptcy if the season doesn’t resume. Many of these leagues are and will be coming back earlier than they should because if they don’t they aren’t coming back at all.

Bundesliga may not be jumping the gun. Germany let more businesses stay open during lockdown, yet were able to keep their deaths very low. Something something German efficiency.

9 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

None of that should present much of an issue. Cameramen are usually remote from the action up in cherry pickers and the like off the course. Announcers don't even have to be on site, never mind near each other as things like ESPN's KBO coverage have proved. Caddies could be an issue, but the risk could be somewhat mitigated by mask use and sanitizer. Assuming they don't just make the golfers carry their own gear for a change like the rest of us or allow carts as a temporary measure. 

I think the reason the PGA shut down was because there were golfers uncomfortable playing in tournaments during a pandemic.  I don't know how they feel now though.  

Golfers have to travel every week and have to find accommodations at each stop. Who knows what the situation is at each jurisdiction. Unless you are a lower  ranked player that desperately needs the cash (and only that is not a guarantee because you have to make the cut), would you risk your health today? 

I saw, I came, I left.

7 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Virus will be here till a good vaccine is available. gotta face the facts

No one has ever said anything to the contrary.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No one has ever said anything to the contrary.

true.  

Back when the NFL announced the league year was going on as scheduled, I never understood the calls to push free agency and the draft back as I thought at the time it would give us a nice distraction and it did.  The NFL Draft for the most part was super fun to watch, (minus the negative stories from Tom Rinaldi) ranging from Bill Belichick's Dog to Jerry Jones doing the draft on his boat to whatever was going on at Mike Vrabel's Household night one to Roger Goddell being so super chill during the draft that in day three he actually wore a t-shirt.  

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

true.  

Back when the NFL announced the league year was going on as scheduled, I never understood the calls to push free agency and the draft back as I thought at the time it would give us a nice distraction and it did.  The NFL Draft for the most part was super fun to watch, (minus the negative stories from Tom Rinaldi) ranging from Bill Belichick's Dog to Jerry Jones doing the draft on his boat to whatever was going on at Mike Vrabel's Household night one to Roger Goddell being so super chill during the draft that in day three he actually wore a t-shirt.  

Those calls were from the GMs, who were mostly saying that they weren't able to do all their due diligence because they couldn't meet face-to-face with the guys or see them perform drills in person.  I can understand their perspective.  They also had no idea that the virtual draft would work as well as it did.  It was a smashing success, but I don't think anyone - fans, GMs, commish, or espn - expected it to be nearly as good as it was.

EDIT: also, to the point about nobody arguing about the fact that the virus isn't going away without a vaccine (and even then, it doesn't "go away"), it's not about it going away right now.  It's about reducing the spread enough so that we have the resources available to treat the people that get it, rather than the hospitals dealing with thousands per day.  If it's spreading at a much lower rate, then we should have the resources by then to actually test everyone with symptoms, and either treat them or get them quarantined.  It's not going to be "hundo p", but it can at least be manageable.  I'm no doctor, but I'm not sure how putting 60k people in a stadium can possibly keep it manageable, even if we started out with a relatively low cases per day total. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/6/2020 at 2:04 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I was listening to (I think) Joe Giardi talking about the noise thing.  He was saying that they'll have to have some kind of background noise, otherwise even dugout conversations could be heard by opposing base coaches, hitters, and hell - even members of their own team

Hey batterbatter, hey batterbatter. Swing! We want a pitcher, not a belly-itcher!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived