The Sports Impact of COVID-19

Pauly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

ACC (+ Notre Dame) following suit according to Brett McMurphy

I wonder what will happen to BYU (among others) if the dominoes continue to fall.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I wonder what will happen to BYU (among others) if the dominoes continue to fall.

BYU could probably join the MWC. Navy could probably get Army into the AAC for the year. NMSU may be able to get into the Sun Belt for old times sake. Liberty is probably left high and dry. Same goes for UMASS and UCONN, but they might be able to join the MAC.

I just opened the ESPN app to check sports scores for the first time in months. It was a weird feeling!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

First world problem alert:

I wonder if this will be the end of paper tickets. I really like mine, and keep them in a ticket book designed for them. I have even paid extra on road trips to get a paper ticket for a baseball game. It sucked that I couldn't have a paper ticket from Arrowhead last year. Oh well.

Again, First world problem. I get it.

It's where I sit.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

First world problem alert:

I wonder if this will be the end of paper tickets. I really like mine, and keep them in a ticket book designed for them. I have even paid extra on road trips to get a paper ticket for a baseball game. It sucked that I couldn't have a paper ticket from Arrowhead last year. Oh well.

Again, First world problem. I get it.

I thought that ship had largely sailed already, at least in some markets. 

I used to be a ticket collector too, but practically speaking, the age of the smartphone ticket has been better in every way. Last year I got hard copy tickets to a Celtics game from a secondary market and it was confusing.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

I thought that ship had largely sailed already, at least in some markets. 

I used to be a ticket collector too, but practically speaking, the age of the smartphone ticket has been better in every way. Last year I got hard copy tickets to a Celtics game from a secondary market and it was confusing.

Arrowhead last year was the first venue where there was no option (for me). The Packers had said they would continue with paper tickets, because they know fans like them and they do a contest to put a fan on one of them every year.

It's where I sit.

8 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Browns went all electronic last year. Couldn't even print tickets. All were on mobile screens. 

Good and bad. Lack of good internet at FirstEnergy Stadium is a definite bad. 

Yeah, this is always my worry, that LTE will come crashing to a halt at the gates. As with everything else they touch, Ticketmaster's app kind of sucks. (Pleasantly surprised with SeatGeek or StubHub, I forget which, but one let me buy tickets secondary AND still use that app with its own barcode to get into a Celtics game last year.)

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Yeah, this is always my worry, that LTE will come crashing to a halt at the gates. As with everything else they touch, Ticketmaster's app kind of sucks. (Pleasantly surprised with SeatGeek or StubHub, I forget which, but one let me buy tickets secondary AND still use that app with its own barcode to get into a Celtics game last year.)

Take a screenshot of your tickets. That way you'll have a backup if your internet crashes.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

25 minutes ago, pollux said:

Take a screenshot of your tickets. That way you'll have a backup if your internet crashes.

It's why I always download them to my gallery when I get them. And send it to whoever needs the ticket when we get there. 

Personally, it's a real shame Arrowhead doesn't have real tickets anymore as @Sec19Row53 stated. Its been like that since 2018. I have a bit of a collection of tickets from all the sporting events I've gone to since 2004 at the earliest and a screenshot just isn't the same.

21 minutes ago, pollux said:

Certain providers don't accept screenshots. There are live actions happening to make sure that the screenshot isn't shared/reused or something. The last concert I was at prior to COVID had that feature.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Certain providers don't accept screenshots. There are live actions happening to make sure that the screenshot isn't shared/reused or something. The last concert I was at prior to COVID had that feature.

17 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Yeah, the Bills have a thing where the barcode changes every 20 minutes or so.

Good to know. I wasn't aware of that change.

But it implies that you either have a data plan (which I don't) or a free internet connection on the spot. So if they remove any printed ticket, they'd have to provide free internet so paying customers can retrieve their tickets.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Yeah, the Bills have a thing where the barcode changes every 20 minutes or so.

Yep, this has been the case for me, at least in the last two years or so. I'm assuming there must be some way in place for the 10 or 12 non-smartphoned people to get into these events but it's not very obvious, and I assume it's a lower-cost, lower-effort method than the hard tickets of yore.

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

It's why I always download them to my gallery when I get them. And send it to whoever needs the ticket when we get there. 

Personally, it's a real shame Arrowhead doesn't have real tickets anymore as @Sec19Row53 stated. Its been like that since 2018. I have a bit of a collection of tickets from all the sporting events I've gone to since 2004 at the earliest and a screenshot just isn't the same.

Yeah, they're dynamic tickets. That way if you email them to someone you can't then try to sneak in before they do. 

I felt bad for one old couple that said they had to get a smart phone just to use their season tickets. 

7 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Yeah, they're dynamic tickets. That way if you email them to someone you can't then try to sneak in before they do. 

I felt bad for one old couple that said they had to get a smart phone just to use their season tickets. 

Sucks when you have to get what is effectively some cheaply made piece of physical spyware just to get into a game. Even more so if the last time you were helping out people with tech was adjusting the rabbit ears on the TV and changing the channel for your Dad. There should at least be an option for the less technically/more privacy inclined like, oh I don't know, a physical ticket?

Archived