Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/17/2020 at 6:47 PM, colinturner95 said:

You know, strangely enough, I don't hate the font, save for the beveling. 

The font isn't bad it just shouldn't go on a Steelers jersey. Save it for the Cardinals,Bengals, Jaguars next redo.

On 3/26/2020 at 10:10 PM, Brass said:

No matter what type of uniform change we see from the Patriots, this beauty will forever be my white whale of sports merchandise.

s-l400.jpg

Ah yes, that was from when the Pats announced their move to Hartford when Foxboro refused to cave to their demand for a new stadium and Boston wouldn't let them build a stadium in the city limits, so Kraft thought he'd try out life as yet another New York metro area team. His threats worked, obviously.

52 minutes ago, JustForFun said:

Ah yes, that was from when the Pats announced their move to Hartford when Foxboro refused to cave to their demand for a new stadium and Boston wouldn't let them build a stadium in the city limits, so Kraft thought he'd try out life as yet another New York metro area team. His threats worked, obviously.

You probably should fact check the statements in bold. The tiny town of Foxboro never refused anything. Kraft privately financed Gillette. 

Kraft then began a plan to build a new stadium in South Boston. In that plan, Kraft was to pay for the stadium himself, hoping to win the support of Weld and Menino. He began to sketch designs, but the project was leaked to the press in December 1996. The residents of South Boston objected to a stadium being built in that location, causing Menino and Weld to become angry at Kraft. Kraft abandoned all plans for a Boston Stadium after the affair.[26] In January 1997, Kraft began talks with Providence mayor Vincent Cianci to relocate the team to Providence and build a new stadium there. The proposed 68,000-seat domed stadium would have cost $250 million, and would have been paid through income taxes, public bonds, surcharges on tickets, and private funds. Residents of the neighborhood of the proposed project were extremely opposed to the project because the surrounding area would have needed massive infrastructure improvements. The proposal fell through after a few weeks.[27]

During a news conference in September 1998, the team revealed plans to build a new stadium in Foxborough, keeping the team in Massachusetts. It was to be funded by the state as well as Kraft himself. This plan brought more competition from Connecticut, as a $1 billion plan to renovate an area of Hartford, including building a stadium.[28] Kraft then signed an agreement to move the team to Hartford on November 18, 1998. The proposed stadium included 68,000 seats, 60 luxury boxes, and had a projected cost of $375 million.[29] As before in Boston and Providence, construction of the stadium was challenged by the residents. Problems with the site were discovered, and an agreement could not be reached regarding the details of the stadium. The entire plan eventually fell through, enraging then Connecticut governor John G. Rowland, who lobbied hard for the stadium and spent weeks deliberating with Robert Kraft.[30] Rowland announced at a press conference that he was officially "a New York Jets fan, now and probably forever".[31] In 1999, the team officially announced that it would remain in Foxborough, which led to Gillette Stadium's construction.[32] After the Hartford proposal fell through, Robert Kraft paid for 100% of the construction costs, a rare instance of an NFL owner privately financing the construction of a stadium.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

that’s a little simplistic; the Patriots were holding out for Massachusetts to fund improvements to Route 1, which they eventually did for $70 million. Probably something that needed to be done anyway and still a better deal than usual for these things, but it’s not like it came for free despite what Kraft’s usual PR bluster says.

Connecticut offered the most sweetheart deal imaginable, Kraft had to say yes. It was also built on smoke and mirrors.

Also reminder that John Rowland was so hopelessly corrupt that he resigned under duress and went to jail. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

that’s a little simplistic; the Patriots were holding out for Massachusetts to fund improvements to Route 1, which they eventually did for $70 million. Probably something that needed to be done anyway and still a better deal than usual for these things, but it’s not like it came for free despite what Kraft’s usual PR bluster says.

Connecticut offered the most sweetheart deal imaginable, Kraft had to say yes. It was also built on smoke and mirrors.

Also reminder that John Rowland was so hopelessly corrupt that he resigned under duress and went to jail. 

Many "privately financed stadiums" get infrastructure costs paid for by the government though. PacBell/AT&T/Oracle Park is widely revered as a privately financed stadium, but the city paid $80 million for infrastructure and gave the Giants a $10M tax abatement. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:07 AM, Digby said:

The agreement that was eventually hammered out between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Krafts resulted in the state making $72 million in infrastructure improvements surrounding the stadium, including to Route 1. However, said deal also requires Kraft to help repay that amount through a direct annual payment to the state of $1 million per year for 25 years, and satellite parking lot owners to shoulder a portion of the infrastructure burden through payment of a total of $400,000 a year in licensing fees to the Town of Foxborough, which passes said monies on to the state. 

The total up-front cost of the Gillette Stadium project was $397 million: $325 million for the facility and $72 million in infrastructure improvements (including those to Route 1). The Krafts will ultimately pick up 88% of that total price-tag (the entirety of the stadium costs, plus $25 million in reimbursement to the state for infrastructure improvements). The Commonwealth of Massachusetts will be responsible for 9% of the project's cost ($37 million in infrastructure costs after reimbursement of a combined $35 million in infrastructure costs from the Krafts and satellite parking owners/Town of Foxborough). Satellite parking lot owners/Town of Foxborough will ultimately shoulder 3% of the project's initial cost (through $10 million in licensing fees).      

On 7/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, JustForFun said:

On 7/12/2020 at 10:46 AM, WSU151 said:

You probably should fact check the statements in bold. The tiny town of Foxboro never refused anything. Kraft privately financed Gillette. 

And worst error of all, Hartford is not in the New York metro area.  😛

New Haven is part of the Hartford media market, but by the broadest definition, is also part of the New York metropolitan area. I'm so used to Here There Be Monsters territory clearly separating everything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 minutes ago, JustForFun said:

I lived in Massachusetts for a decade. Connecticut is *barely* New England.

Uh huh so is Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island. Let’s be honest m:censored:s think only Massachusetts is New England and nothing else (coming from a Rhode Islander who did school in mass) 

Just now, dont care said:

Uh huh so is Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island. Let’s be honest m:censored:s think only Massachusetts is New England and nothing else (coming from a Rhode Islander who did school in mass) 

Rude. No, ME, MA, VT, NH, and RI are clearly New England. CT is called part of New England, but it's really not.

If CT is New England at all, it's the Florida of New England.

16 hours ago, JustForFun said:

If CT is New England at all, it's the Florida of New England.

Rhode Island has that designation covered, works geographically and culturally.

The convenient and semi-accurate way to split is simply I-91, but it's probably more accurate in terms of culture to give rural Connecticut to New England and the urbanized areas to New York, exception being Hartford which is closer in spirit to a New England Rust Belt city.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I’ve been in CT a million times in all parts of the state (not saying much considering how small it is) and I’ve never thought of it as being New England in the same way I do the more northern states. I’d say Mass, Maine, and New Hampshire for sure. Don’t know enough about VT and RI. 

I kinda think of CT as NYC’s Delaware. It even works from an industry perspective. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived