Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

On 5/8/2020 at 11:09 PM, MDGP said:

How DARE you!

Nah, that's extremely true. Back when I had more time and patience, I could easily spend 8-10 hours listening to music before finding anything even remotely worthwhile. And now everyone imitating Imagine Dragons or the 1975 has made it even harder to find quality stuff.

Honestly, I'm certainly guilty of Berkson's Paradox (Finding a negative trend between two traits where in actuality there's no trend because data points were ignored). Basically, bad music of other genres which generally get less airplay in general get ignored, and the genres with higher airplay and more artists appear to have more lower quality artists, since they're more visible.

Ultimately, I think its fair to say that there's certainly more bad music than there is good music, and more bad slips through and gets popular than good, simply because there's less good music. Inversely, most unpopular music is also bad, and then there's less good music that is unpopular.

Honestly i wish more bands were imitating 1975. 

They're very fun but well made pop-rock. And It will age well years from now. Their lyrics can also get really deep which i think differs them from more mainstream pop artists (Like One Direction - their last two albums are some of my fav pop albums of all time and not too corny for the most part, but their lyrics are not super deep. Easy and enjoyable to listen to nonetheless). But 1975 are also self-aware and they acknowledge that they make upbeat pop-rock and make light of it ofter. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Digby said:

not any more cheesy than the Steelers going thin italic futura for all these years!

I actually really like the Steelers’ numbers. When they’re regular block the uniforms look merely good. When they’re in italicized futura they’re great.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon the cross-topic quote, but Bruhammydude found this in the LA topic and I thought it was interesting.

I'm sure this is just a draft and that GUD doesn't have insider info. Confirms my thinking that white pants just don't look good on any Patriots uniform, though. To me mono-white looks worse than mono-navy when paired with that helmet and those socks.

10 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

I saw that GUD (gridiron uniforms database http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=main) added the new uniforms to their site, (if you click on the 2019 games on a certain combo, you have to change the 2019 in the image link to 2020, and you can change the letter after it to switch uniform combinations) and obviously it could just be just in case, but they have the Pats with white pants as well.

2020_NE_D.png2020_NE_B.png

Honestly looks sooooo much better compared to the navy pants.

They also have orange pants for the Browns deep in the archives.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

White pants should never be worn with a silver helmet.

It's easy to make pants magically appear at any time, so I wouldn't bet any money that they don't have a second set that we either just haven't seen,, or will be unveiled during the season.  I think we need more of a 'wait and see' mentality with this off season than any other, so... let's wait and see.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Digby said:

Pardon the cross-topic quote, but Bruhammydude found this in the LA topic and I thought it was interesting.

I'm sure this is just a draft and that GUD doesn't have insider info. Confirms my thinking that white pants just don't look good on any Patriots uniform, though. To me mono-white looks worse than mono-navy when paired with that helmet and those socks.

I think the fact you have to play with URLs indicate that it’s something they did for their own amusement, not intended for public consumption.  

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think the fact you have to play with URLs indicate that it’s something they did for their own amusement, not intended for public consumption.  

I found it out because I wanted to see how the new uniforms looked on the site. Part of being bored during quarantine lol

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

On 5/22/2020 at 12:13 AM, Bruhammydude said:

I found it out because I wanted to see how the new uniforms looked on the site. Part of being bored during quarantine lol

It's a good instinct. This is how investigators and journalists uncover malfeasance.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 5/11/2020 at 3:24 PM, RedSox44 said:

I actually really like the Steelers’ numbers. When they’re regular block the uniforms look merely good. When they’re in italicized futura they’re great.

While I agree the number font looks better than the regular block numbers, I'm not sure why they went with italics. I think Futura Regular would have been better. The numerals on their helmets weren't italics, so why are their jersey numbers?

On 5/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, JustForFun said:

While I agree the number font looks better than the regular block numbers, I'm not sure why they went with italics. I think Futura Regular would have been better. The numerals on their helmets weren't italics, so why are their jersey numbers?

That might've been a calculated decision by either the team or Nike (or both--Im 99% certain Nike produced the Steelers' uniforms back then, when teams were free to pick their own suppliers) to "modernize". I personally liked it then and still like it now. It was IMO a tasteful way to update the optics of the visual identity without destroying the core essence of the brand itself...much like how the Colts just did. (And unlike what the Rams just did...eesh.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

33 minutes ago, Buc said:

That might've been a calculated decision by either the team or Nike (or both--Im 99% certain Nike produced the Steelers' uniforms back then, when teams were free to pick their own suppliers) to "modernize".

Yes.  And I’m pretty sure it was Nike’s compromise after the Steelers rejected a full rebrand.  Similar to the Packers’ revised sleeve stripes. 

I don't think Nike made their uniforms even if their swoosh was on them.  Also, while we know that Denver did, were many teams even using Nike's design services back then?  Did Nike have a large in-house design team back then?  My bet is that the majority of the teams contracted the design work to local firms, or maybe had in-house designers, who would then work with Nike or Puma or whoever to make the prototypes.

I'm not sure how Nike would be in position to "compromise" at all.  I think the most likely scenario is that someone just said "oh, that looks cool - let's go with that"... a decision I happen to agree with.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nike didn’t make uniforms back then any more than they do today, but definitely had an in-house design team; I know for a fact that they pitched the Packers on a significant uniform change.

Green Bay wasn’t Interested, having just rejected a total overhaul three years earlier.  Rebuffed, Nike suggested instead cutting down the sleeve stripes, and the Packers found that one an acceptable change.  Seems obvious in retrospect, making standard what most players were doing anyway, but the idea of making it official originated with Nike.

Knowing that Nike went through this with the Packers leading up to the 1997 season, and the Steelers adopted their italic numbers at the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised if the process was the same for both clubs.  Who knows?  There might exist radical Steelers concepts somewhere in an Oregon file drawer.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:42 AM, Digby said:

That all white look is great, should do that for like two road games a season. Not a fan of grey pants on the road, good look for Raiders and Lions but wasn’t a great look for the 90s Pats and the Giants. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Nike didn’t make uniforms back then any more than they do today, but definitely had an in-house design team; I know for a fact that they pitched the Packers on a significant uniform change.

Green Bay wasn’t Interested, having just rejected a total overhaul three years earlier.  Rebuffed, Nike suggested instead cutting down the sleeve stripes, and the Packers found that one an acceptable change.  Seems obvious in retrospect, making standard what most players were doing anyway, but the idea of making it official originated with Nike.

Knowing that Nike went through this with the Packers leading up to the 1997 season, and the Steelers adopted their italic numbers at the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised if the process was the same for both clubs.  Who knows?  There might exist radical Steelers concepts somewhere in an Oregon file drawer.

I've been reading a lot about that change, and it seems to back what you're saying about Nike, right after getting the team from Starter, pushing for a change to help with sluggish sales, but the Steelers not wanting change, so the patch and numbers were the compromise.

Isn't one of people's issues with the Steelers italicized font that the helmet numbers aren't italicized?

If so, are we sure they're not?  Look at Kordell's 1 - it's clearly closer to the stripe at the top than the bottom.

1589c_med.jpeg  kordellx-large_crop_north.jpg?1338431837

If they are italicized, it’s not to the same degree.

But that’s not really my problem with it at all - I couldn’t care less if they matched, I just don’t think italicized numbers look very good on a football jersey.  The overall shape is boxy and rectangular, I personally think the numbers should fill that space.  Don’t know if that’s an unpopular opinion or what, but it’s my objection to the Steelers.  That and the overall spindly and insubstantial look of those particular numbers, which is illustrated in the picture you posted. 

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Rebuffed, Nike suggested instead cutting down the sleeve stripes

They should have done the same with the Steelers. The shorter sleeves get, the worse their oversized sleeve stripes look. It's reached the point where the entire stripe doesn't fit on most players.

spacer.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

They should have done the same with the Steelers. The shorter sleeves get, the worse their oversized sleeve stripes look. It's reached the point where the entire stripe doesn't fit on most players.

spacer.png

To be fair sleeve stripes have been getting hacked off since the mid 80's if you go back and look at old photos. What makes the steelers bad is that that essentially the entire team wears truncated stripes. It wasn't perfect but nike did make some strides in getting stripe uniformity when they took the contract over.

Now that TV numbers aren't required, the sleeve stripe should run vertically from neck to cuff, like the old Astros rainbow-racing stripe (the version right after tequila sunrise.)

Similar to this, but without the dumb undershirt:

texas-am-uniformsjpg-837e0a9aad720769.jp

51woJ9mgxjL._AC_.jpg

Archived