Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

IMG_3135.JPG

OK, let's not be too flippant about this.

"Why is this so hard to comprehend?", you ask?  Here's why:

First, if the ultimate goal is to end up with royal and yellow, then moving to navy and white seems like a step away from that.  "Navy/gold" --> "navy/white" --> "royal yellow" is a pretty weird trajectory.  So the move to navy and white sows doubt about whether the team will ever wind up back in its true L.A. uniforms.

Second, there's this league rule about uniforms.  The question will always linger: why didn't the Rams just break the rule?  What's the worst the league could do?  Deploy armed men to prevent the team from taking the field?  No.  The league would just fine the Rams.  Big deal.  Pay the damn fine each week; and be heroes to your fans.  If the Raiders can move without league approval, the Rams could have worn royal and yellow without league approval.  But they chose not to take this action.

On account of the foregoing, the Rams' current uniform creates confusion.  

Above all, if the Rams really intend to adopt the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019, they could issue a straightforward, unequivocal statement right now that says "we will be adopting the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019".  But they have not done this.

So the reason that people keep asking questions about the Rams' uniforms is that the Rams themselves are promoting uncertainty.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

OK, let's not be too flippant about this.

"Why is this so hard to comprehend?", you ask?  Here's why:

First, if the ultimate goal is to end up with royal and yellow, then moving to navy and white seems like a step away from that.  "Navy/gold" --> "navy/white" --> "royal yellow" is a pretty weird trajectory.  So the move to navy and white sows doubt about whether the team will ever wind up back in its true L.A. uniforms.

Second, there's this league rule about uniforms.  The question will always linger: why didn't the Rams just break the rule?  What's the worst the league could do?  Deploy armed men to prevent the team from taking the field?  No.  The league would just fine the Rams.  Big deal.  Pay the damn fine each week; and be heroes to your fans.  If the Raiders can move without league approval, the Rams could have worn royal and yellow without league approval.  But they chose not to take this action.

On account of the foregoing, the Rams current uniform creates confusion.  

Above all, if the Rams really intend to adopt the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019, they could issue a straightforward, unequivocal statement right now that says "we will be adopting the classic royal and yellow uniforms in 2019".  But they have not done this.

So the reason that people keep asking questions about the Rams' uniforms is that the Rams themselves are promoting uncertainty.

I also wonder whether the Chargers' move isn't part of the reason why the Rams aren't being more transparent about their plans for 2019. It would seem reasonable that the Rams don't like the idea of having two teams in the same market with the same or similar color schemes. And they can't control another franchise's branding decisions. 

So with the Chargers moving north, the Rams switch to blue and white as a differentiator for now. Meanwhile, they remain noncommital to a color scheme for 2019 in the unlikely event the Chargers rebrand, freeing up blue and yellow. 

It's just a theory. 

19 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

rams concept.png

This is a great look. Once it's stripped of all the gold, it looks awesome. It's that in-between phase right now that's causing it to look goofy.

Royal blue and yellow > navy and white > navy and pale gold (practically tan).

But if they go navy and white, this looks pretty good.

I wasn't being flippant...but I also didn't feel like typing the same thing over again.

We know what MOST of the fans want (I personally know quite a few folks who DO want the Fearsome Foursome look).  We know what the team can actually do within the rules.  We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm actually more concerned about their play than their attire at this point.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I saw somewhere many pages back that it said that they couldn't have grey facemasks because it's not part of their color scheme/palette. What about the Bills? They're listed as

Royal Blue, Red, White, Navy Blue. I would have just said stick with the grey facemasks. But, the white is pretty cool. I would much rather have that than the blue.

15 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

It'd be cool if they could just use a different, updated version of their Color Rush jerseys. I guess that would be considered changing the jerseys. Oh well

Yeah... "different" and "updated" tend to equate to "change". 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

I know. Just wishful thinking I guess. That gold with the blue and white just sticks out too much! I know it's been said before. But why not just wait till 2019 when they change for the new stadium, instead of this mash-up? Boo!

Or do something like a gold outline on the white horns and on the pants stripe, it would look way better than the messy mishmash they're going to wear.

• 4 weeks later...

<blockquote class="embedly-card"><h4><a href="http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Horns-Up/8f22e8da-55fe-4781-a5fc-8beb001c8264">Horns Up</a></h4><p>Jump into the Los Angeles Rams equipment room as we put together the new white-horned helmets.</p></blockquote>
<script async src="//cdn.embedly.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

Archived