Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

47 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

a slow roll out over the course of a few years can be a fine idea. but with each change, there should always be continuity. where they have landed is the worst case scrnerio- stuck between multiple time periods and wearing a uniform that doesn't make sense even by aesthetics alone.

so whats the costs of this to the brand? how much does this matter and how much effect will 2 years of this have?

impossible to say for certain. but they definitley don't have an identity right now. the team is pushing the 1960s look, while dragging the 2000s look, while the fanbase is living in the 80s/90s. for 3 years they will have created nothing but confusion and while we can't yet say what that does for them in 2019, 3 years of visual chaos will be written into their history. ill have more to say about that later

And I feel like this coming year and the next 2 are the most important.  They are in a market that hasn't responded to the product the way the NFL had hoped.  So, if the identity is going to be constantly changing for 3-4 years, could it hinder any progress made?

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

And I feel like this coming year and the next 2 are the most important.  They are in a market that hasn't responded to the product the way the NFL had hoped.  So, if the identity is going to be constantly changing for 3-4 years, could it hinder any progress made?

absolutely. who are the "speaking to" as a brand? at this point i have no idea, and it feels like they're not even seeing themselves as a real team until 2019. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I wouldn't mind something like this being used as a base for the rams look

Rams-Uniform.jpg

(not my concept)

Go yellow heavy. Its a good way to differentiate yourself, and it fits a California team well.

Are NFL teams allowed to wear different decals on their helmets for home and away games? Or does it follow the same rule as the alternate uniforms? 

If they're able, I think it would be a good balance to wear the uniform on the right with white horns for home games and wear the uniforms on the left and in the middle for away games (yellow jerseys where the Rams are force to wear dark colours). That way, they please both fans of the blue and yellow and blue and white. The white jersey would have no yellow on it so it would go with both sets (similar to how SF has no gold on their jerseys).

36 minutes ago, G-tron said:

Are NFL teams allowed to wear different decals on their helmets for home and away games? Or does it follow the same rule as the alternate uniforms? 

If they're able, I think it would be a good balance to wear the uniform on the right with white horns for home games and wear the uniforms on the left and in the middle for away games (yellow jerseys where the Rams are force to wear dark colours). That way, they please both fans of the blue and yellow and blue and white. The white jersey would have no yellow on it so it would go with both sets (similar to how SF has no gold on their jerseys).

That's not a thing Joe.

Exactly. Reflect poorly on the owner, management, team, and NFL. This should be a good lesson as to why, in special circumstances, the 5 year rule should be relaxed. 

Exceptions to the rule could be:

- Ownership change

- Location change

- Stadium change

All of those, I feel, are legitimate reasons to allow for an immediate change. 

6 hours ago, CLEstones said:

A couple questions:

1.  Has anyone mocked up the LA Rams uniform with the gold removed from the jersey, both in a template format and in a "live action" template?

2.  Can anyone discuss the implications, both positive and negative, to releasing the different aspects of the uniform, logo, helmet, color pallet, at different times as opposed to just releasing everything together?

It seems like they released the updated logo, then the updated helmet, now they released the uniform, and I'm sure next year or the year after, the jersey will lose the gold all together.  Seems terrible for a brand.

1) Live action has been posted earlier in the thread. Here's what they'd look like on the template (work is not mine).

2) I suspect the decision to move away from gold was a conscious choice to distance the team from St. Louis as much as possible (the blue and gold look was the only major aesthetic redesign the Rams' underwent while in St. Louis). There's a few possibilities from there. Perhaps Stan Kroenke assumed that the NFL would let him make a jersey change early, set a timeline for uniform modifications, and then decided it was better to just keep as much of the plan as possible intact once he realized the NFL wasn't going to be lenient. Perhaps he simply didn't care about the mismatch, and just wanted to get rid of as much gold as soon as possible even if it meant looking like someone spent way too long messing around with jersey combinations in Madden. At this point, he may view the next two years as essentially a lost cause. His team sucks, they're playing in a college football stadium, and they've been struggling to fill the stands past the first couple of games (although admittedly they do have a huge stadium to fill). There's not much to lose off of poor branding at this point, and you might as well try to attract some attention by making wacky uniform combos.

rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-13_at_32545_pm.png

Maybe we're thinking about this too hard.

Maybe it's as simple as that they haven't decided what they're doing in 2019 yet, and since they still have a season to go before anything needs to be finalized, they are test marketing navy and white just to gather enough information to make a final decision.  It's obv going to be either blue (navy or royal - prob navy) and yellow, or navy and white, and while they already know how people feel about yellow, they want to know how they feel about white and since they (incorrectly, IMO) feel like they have nothing to lose, they're just trotting it out there for people to see and react to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/7/2017 at 1:02 PM, hawk36 said:

Exactly. Reflect poorly on the owner, management, team, and NFL. This should be a good lesson as to why, in special circumstances, the 5 year rule should be relaxed. 

Exceptions to the rule could be:

- Ownership change

- Location change

- Stadium change

All of those, I feel, are legitimate reasons to allow for an immediate change. 

This makes all the sense in world, which is why it probably won't happen. Minus the location part though. The Rams were able to change upon coming to LA right?

As I understand it the league was going to let them change upon arrival, but wouldn't let them do it again for 5 years. That obviously puts a wrench into their plans to change when the stadium opened. This is tough because I can't blame the Rams for wanting to pull away from the STL era, but maybe they should've changed unis now and been done with it.

31 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

This makes all the sense in world, which is why it probably won't happen. Minus the location part though. The Rams were able to change upon coming to LA right? As I understand it the league was going to let them change upon arrival, but wouldn't let them do it again for 5 years.

Right so that's why I'd say if any of the exceptions occur, a change can be made immediately. That way the Rams could have changed on relocation and then again on move to the new stadium.

17 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Right so that's why I'd say if any of the exceptions occur, a change can be made immediately. That way the Rams could have changed on relocation and then again on move to the new stadium.

In an ideal world, sure.  But that's not the choice the Rams were given.  

Archived