Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, BBTV said:

Not stymied, but if they replicate the wordmark or a logo, there's more of a legal case against them.  Anyone can make a black jersey with yellow strips and white numbers and sell it as "Pittsburgh (independent) Football Jersey", but once they put the patch on, it's illegal.  Same with collar wordmarks.  The argument against that is that some teams, like the Eagles, have both sleeve logos and collar wordmark, so I'd assume that's just a style thing.

Just getting through this. I can't possibly say anything about the Rams uniforms that hasn't already been said, so I won't. But....

Do you have anything to support this? Again, this looks like one of those things that's trotted out to support an opinion, but with no legal justification.

Logically? Sure, if you've counterfeited more things on a jersey it might be easier to prove that it's counterfeited. But from my reasonable standpoint, it you made a jersey that looked like the Steelers without a chest patch, it's still a Steelers jersey.

It's where I sit.

17 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Just getting through this. I can't possibly say anything about the Rams uniforms that hasn't already been said, so I won't. But....

Do you have anything to support this? Again, this looks like one of those things that's trotted out to support an opinion, but with no legal justification.

Logically? Sure, if you've counterfeited more things on a jersey it might be easier to prove that it's counterfeited. But from my reasonable standpoint, it you made a jersey that looked like the Steelers without a chest patch, it's still a Steelers jersey.

First, I’m not a lawyer, but it just makes sense to me (though sense and the law are not necessarily the same thing). Let’s use the Raiders as an example. You can certainly buy plain white jerseys with non-proprietary block number fonts that aren’t “Raiders” jerseys, but... yeah they are. I’m not sure if one can trademark something where every element is in the public domain. Now if they put the NFL logo on it? Different story. 

The Steelers jersey uses a common font and a standard striping pattern. Maybe they could trademark it so that if some other team (arena or something) set up shop in Pittsburgh and adopted those jerseys then maybe the Steelers could argue that they own black and yellow for pro football in Pittsburgh, but I’m not sure what law a counterfeiter would be breaking if they used things that are free and unlicensed to make a relatively-generic jersey for sale. Again - once they use an official logo, that changes the story. 

I have no proof to support my theory so it could be totally wrong, it just seems logical to me. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

First, I’m not a lawyer, but it just makes sense to me (though sense and the law are not necessarily the same thing). Let’s use the Raiders as an example. You can certainly buy plain white jerseys with non-proprietary block number fonts that aren’t “Raiders” jerseys, but... yeah they are. I’m not sure if one can trademark something where every element is in the public domain. Now if they put the NFL logo on it? Different story. 

The Steelers jersey uses a common font and a standard striping pattern. Maybe they could trademark it so that if some other team (arena or something) set up shop in Pittsburgh and adopted those jerseys then maybe the Steelers could argue that they own black and yellow for pro football in Pittsburgh, but I’m not sure what law a counterfeiter would be breaking if they used things that are free and unlicensed to make a relatively-generic jersey for sale. Again - once they use an official logo, that changes the story. 

I have no proof to support my theory so it could be totally wrong, it just seems logical to me. 

Yup - I agree with all of that. Just curious if there was something *more* to it. 

Thanks!

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, colortv said:

It’s curious how furious the reaction was

to the logo after all the market research the Rams must have done.

Market research would have shown that people wanted thisspacer.png

or this

spacer.png

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

That makes sense, but given how easy it is to find counterfeit jerseys that feature team wordmarks and logos, including league logos, I'm not sure how much of a deterrent those actually are.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That makes sense, but given how easy it is to find counterfeit jerseys that feature team wordmarks and logos, including league logos, I'm not sure how much of a deterrent those actually are.

Those are made by Chinese companies where IP law doesn’t exist. You wouldn’t see American companies doing it.

42 minutes ago, colortv said:

A helmet as the logo would be the lamest thing IMO.

There are folks in Cleveland, Ohio who would like to request a conversation with you, @colortv.

Besides that, would you rather have a helmet with the Rams' signature horns on it, or an "LA" (from a team that spent 17 years in the midwest) with a gradient horn crammed into the "A"?

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

There are folks in Cleveland, Ohio who would like to request a conversation with you, @colortv.

Besides that, would you rather have a helmet with the Rams' signature horns on it, or an "LA" (from a team that spent 17 years in the midwest) with a gradient horn crammed into the "A"?

Archived