Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

I'd be curious for those who are historically versed to agree or disagree with me in that how affairs of the American Indian are being dealt with in regards to sports branding is similar to how it was during the tumultuous years of their long decline, to where it was often tedious/impossible to get tribes to unify leadership or follow a single line of thought since each one was fairly independent and only as formally organized as each tribe saw fit. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Well, we don't know what the future may hold, so don't worry about it too much until it gets here. ^_^  But yes, I'd be OK with seeing the Redskins logo in the HOF. It is part of the league's history, and we can't change what happened, but you're right that we can learn from it.

It's not as if any sport in North America doesn't have its own sort of reckoning with a really objectionable piece of its past to deal with. The Baseball Hall of Fame will still feature the noteworthy accomplishments of pre-integration MLB; but it will also educate you on that sordid piece of history and highlight what went on at the Negro Leagues level (well, if it's worth its salt and the viewer is there in good faith). That Satchel Paige got screwed by his time period does not take away from the greatness of Lefty Grove, there just needs to be an acknowledgement and proper honoring of both of those facts.

With the Washington scenario, the actively using a slur as part of the identity is a little more visceral than the systemic racism of sports history, so I can see the difficulty of the subject.

10 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It baffles me when I see people saying “Warriors” is too generic and “Redwolves” and “Redtails” are unique so they choose one of those and roll with it.

First of all, just because it’s unique doesn’t mean it’s good.

Second, as I’ve pointed out in other posts, Warriors isn’t strictly tied to Native American culture and can be tastefully executed in numerous ways.

I have to say, I think we're putting too much stock in the generic-nickname concern. The name is but one piece of the identity. The team also has a pretty iconic color scheme in the NFL, and at least once upon a time had a proud on-field record. Their history outside of the bad name is a good jumping-off point and I'm not sure the relative cleverness or genericness of the next name makes as much a difference as we think, though I do recognize that a generic name may make it harder to drag certain fans kicking and screaming into the new era.

I've said elsewhere that I don't think this team particularly can get away with a non-NA "Warriors"; that said, I think the Golden State Warriors demonstrated how they've built a very successful brand around that name that sure, it could be generic, but they have that color scheme and that Bay Area imagery used to great success, and the winning teams have helped too of course. (The detours into graphite jerseys and the whole bad comic-superhero-era didn't help, granted.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And while the NCAI doesn’t represent all individual Native people, it does represent the Native nations.  And as such, it is as close to an authority on consensus among those nations as we can get.  When they pass a resolution on a topic, those of us on the outside really ought to pay attention.

Just curious, do you feel the same way about your state legislature? It's supposed to represent the entire state of New York, but I can tell you from personal experience that the folks in CNY feel like everything is geared toward NYC and the rest of the state is an afterthought. My guess is the state of New York has passed plenty of resolutions that NYC loved and everyone else hated. Or vice versa.

BB52Big.jpg

53 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

For some strange reason I see Redgolds and immediately think its some type of potato. 

If they’re gonna be potatoes, they need to relocate to Washington state, then slide eastward into Idaho. 

Also - maroon/burgundy and a deep yellow. Not red and gold. 49ers are red and gold and would probably be pissed if Washington went that route. 

4 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

If they’re gonna be potatoes, they need to relocate to Washington state, then slide eastward into Idaho. 

Also - maroon/burgundy and a deep yellow. Not red and gold. 49ers are red and gold and would probably be pissed if Washington went that route. 

Although count me among those who would like to see Washington go from yellow to metallic gold while darkening the burgundy slightly. 

Make the yellow slightly darker as well and less saturated, then add metal flakes and you have the best metallic gold color in the NFL. 

28 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Just curious, do you feel the same way about your state legislature? It's supposed to represent the entire state of New York, but I can tell you from personal experience that the folks in CNY feel like everything is geared toward NYC and the rest of the state is an afterthought. My guess is the state of New York has passed plenty of resolutions that NYC loved and everyone else hated. Or vice versa.

Funnily enough, we in the city do tend to think upstate Republicans have too much power in Albany, and use that power to boost the rest of the state at our expanse.  Sometimes literally on our dime.  So go figure. 🤷🏽‍♂️

In a representative system, you will always find some people unhappy with their representation in the legislature.  That doesn’t automatically make the legislature somehow less legitimate.  Complaining about our representatives is as 🇺🇸 as 🍎🥧.

Nor can we simply handwave away the NCAI because we don’t like what they have to say about themselves.

So how about that football team logo and name change? 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Funnily enough, we in the city tend to think upstate Republicans have too much power in Albany, and use that power to boost the rest of the state at our expanse.  Sometimes literally on our dime.  So go figure. 🤷🏽‍♂️

In a representative system, you will always find some people unhappy with their representation in the legislature.  That doesn’t automatically make the legislature somehow less legitimate.   Nor can we simply handwave away the NCAI because we don’t like what they have to say about themselves. 

I wasn't "handwaving" away the NCAI and I never said it isn't legitimate. In fact, I said I wasn't knocking it. My point was that the NCAI isn't the be all end all voice on NA issues. That's all.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived