rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

Just to throw another wrench into what ever's going on with the future team in the other Washington, Washington Kraken?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LMU said:

I think that one of the problems with the proposed names floating around is that Washington is always seen more macro than micro with everything being capital or military-focused.  Why not go for something that actually reflects the history of the culture of the city itself and not those hired or elected to move in?

 

WASHINGTON DUKES

 

I hear "Dukes" and I immediately think of "dropping a dook," or "taking a big dump."  That's probably more of a reflection on me than your idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

 

I hear "Dukes" and I immediately think of "dropping a dook," or "taking a big dump."  That's probably more of a reflection on me than your idea.

Or the entire population of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two off the wall suggestions I have that deal with DC’s transit-

 

Washington Metros

Washington Railriders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wackyriderfan14 said:

Every team should follow the Ottawa route:

 

Washington REDGOLDS, Edmonton GREENGOLDS, etc..

FYP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

DC Founders - a bit about the founding of a capitol city away from any specific state. Play up the 1790s angle and there you go.


I initially favored some of the generic ideas floating out there -- Generals, Presidents, etc. as a way of saluting the man DC is named after. On the surface, I think the idea of the founding fathers would be great in DC, as I appreciate our history and I love DC's monuments to some of these guys. 

 

However, when you dig a little deeper, I'm afraid it would add insult to injury to Natives to remove the racial slur, only to replace it with references to this guy:

 

From this article -- https://michaelleroyoberg.com/current-events/im-so-bored-with-the-founding-fathers/

 

Quote

Native peoples, after all, did not refer to the American founders as patriots, heroes or freedom fighters. No. They called them “Butchers,” “Killers,” and “Long Knives.” George Washington, the most fatherly of the founders, native peoples called “Town Destroyer,” and they worried that his countrymen would exterminate them. Words and deeds. The American patriots gave native peoples reason to fear for their lives, and to worry about genocide.

 

And for more on that -- http://michaelleroyoberg.com/native-americans/town-destroyer-in-paradise-how-george-washington-ended-up-just-outside-handsome-lakes-heaven/

 

Quote

Washington’s treatment of Native America makes clear that the answer would involve violence. During the Revolution, Washington ordered invasions of the Iroquois that resulted, if we choose to believe Haudenosaunee voices, in the rape and murder of Onondaga non-combatants by New York militiamen following Colonel Goose Van Schaick. It resulted in what can justly be called war crimes against Senecas and Cayugas as well the destruction of their crops and orchards, and dozens of towns in 1779 as part of the infamous Sullivan campaign.  Washington hoped that Sullivan’s men would “distract and terrify” the Indians and, in Washington’s own words, “extirpate them from the Country.”  Sullivan’s soldiers drank a toast promising, among other things, “civilization or death to all American savages.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also regarding "Founders:"  That is also the term of when an animal eats too much, to the point where its stomach bursts and the creature dies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am seeing a lot of concerns about "generic" names.  And I kinda get that.  Taking a 90-year old team and calling them the "Hawks" or something would be less-than-ideal. But my concern is more the opposite of "generic."  What would that be? Maybe "kewl?" Recent NFL names (Texans, Jags, Panthers, Ravens) haven't been bad but I'd really hate to see a 90-year old team go with something akin to Kraken, Mighty Ducks, or Wild.  I'd take a dignified generic over a goofy modern name.  I feel like if they went with something like Washington Power (or DC Power), they'd feel like a year-1 expansion team (which is why I want to see the colors remain, regardless). Something like Generals would have been solid if not for the basketball team.  So far Red Tails is my favorite, but hopefully other good ideas will come about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I am seeing a lot of concerns about "generic" names.  And I kinda get that.  Taking a 90-year old team and calling them the "Hawks" or something would be less-than-ideal. But my concern is more the opposite of "generic."  What would that be? Maybe "kewl?" Recent NFL names (Texans, Jags, Panthers, Ravens) haven't been bad but I'd really hate to see a 90-year old team go with something akin to Kraken, Mighty Ducks, or Wild.  I'd take a dignified generic over a goofy modern name.  I feel like if they went with something like Washington Power (or DC Power), they'd feel like a year-1 expansion team (which is why I want to see the colors remain, regardless). Something like Generals would have been solid if not for the basketball team.  So far Red Tails is my favorite, but hopefully other good ideas will come about.

 

I'm with you on this. I don't necessarily think Red Tails is all that exciting, but of the alternatives we've heard so far, it's the one that seems to adequately address the concerns you outlined, and I agree with: Something that isn't generic, and is befitting of a 90-year-old franchise.

 

Now, that doesn't make it the right choice. It's just the best of what, right now, appears to be a bunch of mediocre choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I am seeing a lot of concerns about "generic" names.  And I kinda get that.  Taking a 90-year old team and calling them the "Hawks" or something would be less-than-ideal. But my concern is more the opposite of "generic."  What would that be? Maybe "kewl?" Recent NFL names (Texans, Jags, Panthers, Ravens) haven't been bad but I'd really hate to see a 90-year old team go with something akin to Kraken, Mighty Ducks, or Wild.  I'd take a dignified generic over a goofy modern name.  I feel like if they went with something like Washington Power (or DC Power), they'd feel like a year-1 expansion team (which is why I want to see the colors remain, regardless). Something like Generals would have been solid if not for the basketball team.  So far Red Tails is my favorite, but hopefully other good ideas will come about.

Is there still a rule in the NFL that team nicknames have to end in s? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is there still a rule in the NFL that team nicknames have to end in s? 

I don’t know, but there should be if there isn’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MCM0313 said:

I don’t know, but there should be if there isn’t. 

I want to say it was brought up when Carolina and Jacksonville joined the league but I can't remember if it was an actual rule or the league just came back and said, no singular names allowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I want to say it was brought up when Carolina and Jacksonville joined the league but I can't remember if it was an actual rule or the league just came back and said, no singular names allowed. 

 

Washington Singulars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I don’t know, but there should be if there isn’t. 

1000% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there’s some small chance they decide to drop Washington in favor of DC, I like the sound of DC Guardians.

 

So far my Top 5 choices (in no particular order) are-

• Metros

• Railriders

• Defenders

• Guardians

• Warriors

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington Grays - if the Nats didn’t do it, why not the NFL club? Heck, I’d take Grays over Wizards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

Washington Grays - if the Nats didn’t do it, why not the NFL club? Heck, I’d take Grays over Wizards.

What’s the reference because my mind immediately goes to the confederates. Is there something I’m missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.