Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LMU said:

I think that one of the problems with the proposed names floating around is that Washington is always seen more macro than micro with everything being capital or military-focused.  Why not go for something that actually reflects the history of the culture of the city itself and not those hired or elected to move in?

WASHINGTON DUKES

I hear "Dukes" and I immediately think of "dropping a dook," or "taking a big dump."  That's probably more of a reflection on me than your idea.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

I hear "Dukes" and I immediately think of "dropping a dook," or "taking a big dump."  That's probably more of a reflection on me than your idea.

Or the entire population of Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

DC Founders - a bit about the founding of a capitol city away from any specific state. Play up the 1790s angle and there you go.

I initially favored some of the generic ideas floating out there -- Generals, Presidents, etc. as a way of saluting the man DC is named after. On the surface, I think the idea of the founding fathers would be great in DC, as I appreciate our history and I love DC's monuments to some of these guys. 

However, when you dig a little deeper, I'm afraid it would add insult to injury to Natives to remove the racial slur, only to replace it with references to this guy:

From this article -- https://michaelleroyoberg.com/current-events/im-so-bored-with-the-founding-fathers/

Native peoples, after all, did not refer to the American founders as patriots, heroes or freedom fighters. No. They called them “Butchers,” “Killers,” and “Long Knives.” George Washington, the most fatherly of the founders, native peoples called “Town Destroyer,” and they worried that his countrymen would exterminate them. Words and deeds. The American patriots gave native peoples reason to fear for their lives, and to worry about genocide.

And for more on that -- http://michaelleroyoberg.com/native-americans/town-destroyer-in-paradise-how-george-washington-ended-up-just-outside-handsome-lakes-heaven/

Washington’s treatment of Native America makes clear that the answer would involve violence. During the Revolution, Washington ordered invasions of the Iroquois that resulted, if we choose to believe Haudenosaunee voices, in the rape and murder of Onondaga non-combatants by New York militiamen following Colonel Goose Van Schaick. It resulted in what can justly be called war crimes against Senecas and Cayugas as well the destruction of their crops and orchards, and dozens of towns in 1779 as part of the infamous Sullivan campaign.  Washington hoped that Sullivan’s men would “distract and terrify” the Indians and, in Washington’s own words, “extirpate them from the Country.”  Sullivan’s soldiers drank a toast promising, among other things, “civilization or death to all American savages.”

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Also regarding "Founders:"  That is also the term of when an animal eats too much, to the point where its stomach bursts and the creature dies.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I am seeing a lot of concerns about "generic" names.  And I kinda get that.  Taking a 90-year old team and calling them the "Hawks" or something would be less-than-ideal. But my concern is more the opposite of "generic."  What would that be? Maybe "kewl?" Recent NFL names (Texans, Jags, Panthers, Ravens) haven't been bad but I'd really hate to see a 90-year old team go with something akin to Kraken, Mighty Ducks, or Wild.  I'd take a dignified generic over a goofy modern name.  I feel like if they went with something like Washington Power (or DC Power), they'd feel like a year-1 expansion team (which is why I want to see the colors remain, regardless). Something like Generals would have been solid if not for the basketball team.  So far Red Tails is my favorite, but hopefully other good ideas will come about.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

10 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I am seeing a lot of concerns about "generic" names.  And I kinda get that.  Taking a 90-year old team and calling them the "Hawks" or something would be less-than-ideal. But my concern is more the opposite of "generic."  What would that be? Maybe "kewl?" Recent NFL names (Texans, Jags, Panthers, Ravens) haven't been bad but I'd really hate to see a 90-year old team go with something akin to Kraken, Mighty Ducks, or Wild.  I'd take a dignified generic over a goofy modern name.  I feel like if they went with something like Washington Power (or DC Power), they'd feel like a year-1 expansion team (which is why I want to see the colors remain, regardless). Something like Generals would have been solid if not for the basketball team.  So far Red Tails is my favorite, but hopefully other good ideas will come about.

I'm with you on this. I don't necessarily think Red Tails is all that exciting, but of the alternatives we've heard so far, it's the one that seems to adequately address the concerns you outlined, and I agree with: Something that isn't generic, and is befitting of a 90-year-old franchise.

Now, that doesn't make it the right choice. It's just the best of what, right now, appears to be a bunch of mediocre choices. 

17 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Is there still a rule in the NFL that team nicknames have to end in s? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MCM0313 said:

I don’t know, but there should be if there isn’t. 

I want to say it was brought up when Carolina and Jacksonville joined the league but I can't remember if it was an actual rule or the league just came back and said, no singular names allowed. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I want to say it was brought up when Carolina and Jacksonville joined the league but I can't remember if it was an actual rule or the league just came back and said, no singular names allowed. 

Washington Singulars

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

If there’s some small chance they decide to drop Washington in favor of DC, I like the sound of DC Guardians.

So far my Top 5 choices (in no particular order) are-

• Metros

• Railriders

• Defenders

• Guardians

• Warriors

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

Washington Grays - if the Nats didn’t do it, why not the NFL club? Heck, I’d take Grays over Wizards.

What’s the reference because my mind immediately goes to the confederates. Is there something I’m missing?

Archived