Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

1 minute ago, Jymp said:

So they don't think fans are gonna revolt over the name change ?, it's already happening, your going to see more Redskins stuff than ever, the majority of fans do not want the name changed period, I'm no Redskins fan but I live in Redskins country, fans are really pissed Snyder gave into the cancel culture, Fed Ex, Pepsi etc. from what I'm hearing from far more people than being reported, businesses too, he might need to re-think this.

There’s absolutely no reason to rethink this. How do you rethink the retirement of a racist name? Just because people with one brain cell hate the choice doesn’t mean Snyder or anybody for that matter need to bend to their will.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jymp said:

So they don't think fans are gonna revolt over the name change ?, it's already happening, your going to see more Washington Football Team stuff than ever, the majority of fans do not want the name changed period, I'm no Washington Football Team fan but I live in Washington Football Team country, fans are really pissed Snyder gave into the cancel culture, Fed Ex, Pepsi etc. from what I'm hearing from far more people than being reported, businesses too, he might need to re-think this.

Where are you, roughly speaking, if I may ask? Are you south of Northern Virginia? Given the rise of the Ravens and the fact that most people in the hellhole imperial city itself are from somewhere else, I've always figured the real base of Redskindom is the rest of Virginia.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Jymp said:

So they don't think fans are gonna revolt over the name change ?, it's already happening, your going to see more Washington Football Team stuff than ever, the majority of fans do not want the name changed period, I'm no Washington Football Team fan but I live in Washington Football Team country, fans are really pissed Snyder gave into the cancel culture, Fed Ex, Pepsi etc. from what I'm hearing from far more people than being reported, businesses too, he might need to re-think this.

The fans already revolted because of the team itself. There's probably a hockey twitter account dunking on them despite it being the wrong sport. Historically, we'd be yakking about how they were destined for Los Angeles, but that era is done.

I'm from Arkansas and a lifelong fan of a team that once used Native American iconography. If Washington's football fans are such pathetic losers that they can't get over a name change (names being the least important part of the brand), then they deserve the embarrassing team they've been provided. Most likely, they're normal humans and will just get over it because being a slightly better person without doing anything isn't that big of a deal. Again, I'm from the famously redneck doofus state of Arkansas. You know, the one that shut down schools because it was scared of non-whites back in the 1950's which isn't as far back as you might think.

5 hours ago, Jymp said:

If "Washington Football Team country" is South Carolina, then sure. 😛 The fact is that it'd be national brand suicide to renege and continue upholding the most controversial name in sports.

5 hours ago, Jymp said:

Nothing says trying to look like the real victims more than people calling out for giving into the fact that the name has seriously negative connotations.

Oh yeah, just go hide into this 'cancel culture' excuse thingy. That'll totally bring the nickname back.

4 hours ago, razorback447 said:

Going out on a limb here but I imagine they’ll give them the nickname of Washington Football Team. 

That could possibly be the point. "Gosh, we tried to stop them, but the fans kept calling The Football Team by the old name. So we've listened to them and we're changing back!"

Honestly, if the blue team sweeps in November and we don't really need the parallel state as much anymore, they could try to get away with that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I still want to call them the Washington Football Team. It's not the same now.

"Problem" is that your trivial opinion thankfully doesn't count anymore. But you can still feast your eyes on memorabilia, videos or whatever is needed to make your eyes watery!

Hail to the new era!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

If we're not allowed to use naughty words and slurs, and the R-word is now officially a slur, shouldn't the filter replace it with :censored:?  Just axin'.

Regarding the "they're going to play as WTF for 2 seasons!" - no they're not.  At least not definitely.  The usual timeline is something like 18-24 months (league rules state 24), but as long as the merch producers have time to get stuff ready, the ad partners have time to put the new logo on their ads, and signage can be produced, it can certainly be expedited.  Every rule in the history of the world can be waived under the right circumstances, and I think all reasonable minds would agree that this is one of those.

The bigger deal is getting it right, and there can be no timeframe on that.  Given the other issues that the team is dealing with right now, and the uncertainty at the top, while multitasking is a thing, the key decision makers may not even be able to focus on this for a while.  Hopeully whatever design firm they're using is really good at their jobs (and hopefully they're not giving Nike a lot of rope.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I bet for as many loudly angry Skins fans who are going to wear their slur hoodies for as long as they can, there are probably just as many who are relieved they can finally support their team proudly and without guilt.

And, ultimately, it's sports. If fans can buy a new jersey, they will. Doing a two-step from Skin to WTF to Sentinels or whatever opens two new merchandise spending sprees. The final name will probably do better than the interim one, but I have to imagine Fanatics and the NFL and Daniel Snyder (I have no idea who actually makes money from merch sales) aren't actually that unhappy to essentially unveil two new uniforms and brands in two years.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

33 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I bet for as many loudly angry Skins fans who are going to wear their slur hoodies for as long as they can, there are probably just as many who are relieved they can finally support their team proudly and without guilt.

And, ultimately, it's sports. If fans can buy a new jersey, they will. Doing a two-step from Skin to WTF to Sentinels or whatever opens two new merchandise spending sprees. The final name will probably do better than the interim one, but I have to imagine Fanatics and the NFL and Daniel Snyder (I have no idea who actually makes money from merch sales) aren't actually that unhappy to essentially unveil two new uniforms and brands in two years.

Right. Snyder will eventually benefit from that without any doubt. Again! In fact, he – the white billionaire – is the reason why this team has kept the name for more than 20 years (with Snyder at the helm), since he quite frankly didn't give a sh... about the team's racist nickname a bit. However, since main sponsor FedEx threatened to end the alliance with Snyder's team, he all of a sudden, within just two weeks or so, has collapsed under the pressure, ready to change his team's identity for obvious reasons, a topic that he didn't want to deal with for the past 20 years or more during his tenure as team owner.

Racism has become a problem for Snyder not because of racism itself, but exclusively for financial reasons. Another classic example for "money rules the world". On the other hand, better late than never.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

the R-word is now officially a slur, shouldn't the filter replace it with :censored:?  Just axin'.

Let's do away with the word, I've got no problem with that.

But if we go there, should we expect the same will be done with Indians, Braves, etc, since those names also offend many?

6uXNWAo.png

59 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Let's do away with the word, I've got no problem with that.

But if we go there, should we expect the same will be done with Indians, Braves, etc, since those names also offend many?

My answer is: hopefully not. The word "staff member, front office personnel, player, coach, and possibly cheerleader of the Washington Football Team that plays in Maryland and is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia" is without any doubt an unambigious, utterly racist word, just like the N-word. Whereas Braves and Indians are clearly not. The word Indian might not be the most appropriate, up-to-date term to describe and define Native Americans. Yet, it's definitely not a racist word. The only thing one could criticize about the word "Indian" is the fact that these people's roots aren't located in India since Columbus ended up in/on the wrong country/continent. It's definitely a historically incorrect term. And the word Braves? Seriously? Then we could also talk about whether broccoli is an offensive word or not.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If we're not allowed to use naughty words and slurs, and the R-word is now officially a slur, shouldn't the filter replace it with :censored:?  Just axin'.

Over It Thank You GIF by QuickBooks

VmWIn6B.png

36 minutes ago, LMU said:

Over It Thank You GIF by QuickBooks

Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team. Washington Football Team.

NICE! 👍

6uXNWAo.png

Archived