NFL 2020

FormerLurker

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, it doesn’t.  It doesn’t even slow them down. 

If a knockoff manufacturer can replicate all the panels and piping, the contrast stitching, the hanger effects, and all the other assorted gewgaws, tracing a number font won’t take much effort at all. 

I don’t doubt that Nike likes to tell teams that it deters knockoffs when trying to sell them on a new custom number font, but we can be more honest here.  It’s 100% branding, nothing more.

Yeah i wouldn't say it slows them down...but there are definitely differences in knockoff typography and the real things. Aside from the poor execution, some are just flat out wrong/different. The Texans are the ones i see most often and every single NOB font is incorrect. The number font tends to be slightly off as well. 

Not to get this off the rails, but i do think Nike offering lower price points (which admittedly they've done a better job with with their sublimated lines) would deter counterfeits more than anything else. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

Yeah i wouldn't say it slows them down...but there are definitely differences in knockoff typography and the real things. Aside from the poor execution, some are just flat out wrong/different. The Texans are the ones i see most often and every single NOB font is incorrect. The number font tends to be slightly off as well.

And I can pick out 99% of all bootleg Packers jerseys at fifty meters, mostly because they don’t bother to replicate even the “standard” number font. Again, it’s a question of whether they want to bother, not whether the custom font provides any special anti-counterfeiting measure. 

39 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

Not to get this off the rails, but i do think Nike offering lower price points (which admittedly they've done a better job with with their sublimated lines) would deter counterfeits more than anything else. 

This. 

On 1/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, shaydre1019 said:

The Texans are the ones i see most often and every single NOB font is incorrect. The number font tends to be slightly off as well. 

One thing I see about Texans knockoffs is that the NOB's too thick, the outlines are too thin and the terminals of some numbers are the wrong angle.

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I must have missed it, when did the 49ers go down to two sleeve stripes? I’m aware they had issues with the triple stripe being cut off by certain jersey cuts, but this looks like they just said “screw it” and went down to two.

According to the Gridiron Uniform Database, 2017 was the first year of the two stripe jerseys. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

7 minutes ago, FormerLurker said:

Let’s play spot the difference. Someone let the cat out of the bag early. Told you I wasn’t full of it.

spacer.png

The helmet decal is now the official logo? (they’d been different for years)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, FormerLurker said:

Look at the finish of the helmet.

Still glossy (with metallic pearl) IMO. I can see a reflection of the building on the back of the helmet. 

When was that picture taken? 

22 minutes ago, FormerLurker said:

Lol Sammy you’re seeing ghosts. Matte finish, it’s the new helmet,

Did you take the photo?

Why does the color change right above the NFL decal in the back?

3 hours ago, FormerLurker said:

Lol Sammy you’re seeing ghosts. Matte finish, it’s the new helmet,

naw mate, look at the back of the helmet. all reflections / shadows are pretty sharp. theres nothing above the helmet to be reflected on the top

even if it were new, they wouldn't be putting this out there now

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

58 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

naw mate, look at the back of the helmet. all reflections / shadows are pretty sharp. theres nothing above the helmet to be reflected on the top

even if it were new, they wouldn't be putting this out there now

They didn’t. Empowerment retirement home did.

You guys are pretty much in denial. That’s as matte as it gets,

15 minutes ago, FormerLurker said:

I'll take the word of the guy who has worked for an NFL team and apparel companies over a leaker. Did you start the reddit rumor?

EDIT: OK, I take it back.

22 minutes ago, FormerLurker said:

I’m with you that it looks matte... but why would Empower Retirement have a (potentially) yet to be released helmet? Or even a photo of a yet to be released helmet? 

24 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

I’m with you that it looks matte... but why would Empower Retirement have a (potentially) yet to be released helmet? Or even a photo of a yet to be released helmet? 

Because they’re a sponsor. All these ads that are run are shot right now to be ready for the fall. It’s part of a process in LA called “pilot season” where they film pilot episodes for tv shows set to debut in the fall, but also commercials as well. 

Archived