MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

A Marlins front office member, someone in charge of like promotions/marketing etc, was on a podcast after the reveal and she went into some detail about the rebranding and said MLB came to them with these concepts and the Marlins then added to that but it was MLB first.

I can try and look for it. I believe I've posted it on these forums in the past too.

Yes, as I recall it, MLB came up with the idea to draw inspiration from Calle Ocho in terms of the vibrant color palette. It didn't sound like they were going for a South Beach neon lights aesthetic with the black, but thought that it would serve as a kind of ground for the blue and the red to pop. Of course this really hasn't proven to be the case in the current execution of the set.

I think MLB put the set together and the team just provided feedback before ultimately signing off on it.

39 minutes ago, JayMac said:

The only thing worse than team executives being in charge of uniform and logo decisions is having league executives being in charge of uniform and logo decisions. 

I hate to disagree with the general point you're making here but who should make the decisions here?

I'm assuming you want the artists/designers to make the decisions over team executives (and definitely over league executives) but I'm not sure I'm ok with that...

An artist/designer can put forth what they think are the best ideas/concepts from a creative standpoint but I do think final decisions need to come down to what the team wants because "it's their team" not the designer's team. The team is the client here and they're the ones who ultimately need to be pleased. Heavily leaning on the designer's ideas and input is definitely encouraged but why shouldn't the team have final say?

If I'm misunderstanding your point by all means let me know. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The problem with the Marlins' black jersey is how they use it. Right now, inside in Houston, it looks fine and the letters/numbers are easy to read. The problem seems to come when they wear it outside at night, so they should just stop doing that.

Originally the black jersey was designated as their weekend uniform. Fridays and Saturdays (or Saturdays and Sundays) only, I can't remember which. Or maybe all 3 days, I honestly forget. They have worn it a lot more liberally this season, possibly because it was so short, and they've worn them in all 3 playoff games so far. Them emphasizing the black could be a coincidence, or it could be a hint at some changes they might make next year. Who knows. I still like it regardless and no, I'm not biased based on my fandom. I just really, really like the all-black.

ClAFLDa.png

24 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Originally the black jersey was designated as their weekend uniform. Fridays and Saturdays (or Saturdays and Sundays) only, I can't remember which. Or maybe all 3 days, I honestly forget. They have worn it a lot more liberally this season, possibly because it was so short, and they've worn them in all 3 playoff games so far. Them emphasizing the black could be a coincidence, or it could be a hint at some changes they might make next year. Who knows. I still like it regardless and no, I'm not biased based on my fandom. I just really, really like the all-black.

Originally was the Friday and Saturday night home game uniform. Sundays was back to white. Also as a road alternate but even on the road it was mostly meant for Fridays and Saturdays. Of course hot streaks and things like that will lead to teams choosing to wear a uniform more so sometimes uniform schedules go out the window.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I hate to disagree with the general point you're making here but who should make the decisions here?

I'm assuming you want the artists/designers to make the decisions over team executives (and definitely over league executives) but I'm not sure I'm ok with that...

An artist/designer can put forth what they think are the best ideas/concepts from a creative standpoint but I do think final decisions need to come down to what the team wants because "it's their team" not the designer's team. The team is the client here and they're the ones who ultimately need to be pleased. Heavily leaning on the designer's ideas and input is definitely encouraged but why shouldn't the team have final say?

If I'm misunderstanding your point by all means let me know. Thanks.

No, you aren't misunderstanding as I am being a bit facetious with my point. Of course the team execs should have final say on everything, as it is their franchise. However, I do want to stress that they need to rely heavily on the expertise of the designers. I think it needs to be more than just encouraged. It needs to be more like an unwritten rule. 

17 hours ago, JayMac said:

No, you aren't misunderstanding as I am being a bit facetious with my point. Of course the team execs should have final say on everything, as it is their franchise. However, I do want to stress that they need to rely heavily on the expertise of the designers. I think it needs to be more than just encouraged. It needs to be more like an unwritten rule. 

Ah ok then yes we're on the same page. I think I just read your post too literal. 

Team executives definitely need to have the final say, but unfortunately there are lots of people with marketing degrees who simply don't have the eyes for good/bad design. They can come up with these clever marketing gimmicks about "colores" but aren't able to tell that, aesthetically speaking, their set sorely lacks the vibrancy they're touting.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

At least the Braves and the Rays have navy logos on a navy uniform with no problem, because they have a white outline.  The Marlins can make black on black work with a better outline color.  But then that would change the color pattern.

None of these have “no problems.” They all suffer from from a variety of issues and have sets in their lineups that look significantly better. The Braves even have another Navy Jersey that doesn’t look like they forgot to include a color.

10 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

At least the Braves and the Rays have navy logos on a navy uniform with no problem, because they have a white outline.  The Marlins can make black on black work with a better outline color.  But then that would change the color pattern.

the Braves dropped that Navy jersey. Their current Navy is the red lettered one. 

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Didn't they wear it during this NLCS?

the Current one, yes. They haven’t worn the Navy on Navy since 2018. Their Spring Training jersey is Navy on navy, but they’ve not worn one in 2 years for games

Archived