NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

13 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe if PI were a 15-yard penalty rather than a spot foul.

Even then, ticky-tack 15-yard penalties change games, and the defenders would just trip players that have them beat on balls longer than 15 yards.

I'd rather the refs just be good, and not throw a flag when whatever the defender did didn't actually impact the play.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe if PI were a 15-yard penalty rather than a spot foul.

I'd rather see CBs wearing #99 than have that rule in the pros

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

On 4/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, BBTV said:

You're not wrong - but players still have "primary" responsibilities, and I liked looking at an athletic-looking chap wearing 56 and just knowing that he was a LB, or a big white guy in the 80s and knowing he was a TE, or a guy wearing 12 and knowing he was a QB. 

Defense is totally a mess and there's tons of hybridity there, but on offense, while you have RBs spreading out, TEs (and sometimes WRs) occasionally in the backfield, and gimmicky crap, it's not that different a game from when the system was devised.

Seeing some giant beast sacking the QB while wearing an iconic QB number like 12 will take a lot of time to get used to.

I agree with this sentiment. I always thought of the number changes from college to pros as a rite of passage. I used to like the idea of envisioning a college player I liked in his pro number, and guessing what it might be. 

I'm all for expanding the use of low numbers for skill-position players. But I like the tradition of having LBs in the 50s and interior linemen in the 60s-70s. If I had it my way, and I surely won't, I'd narrow it further: FBs in the 40s, RBs in the 20s-30s, QBs 7-19, WRs 80-89, kickers 1-6, LBs limited to the 50s. Don't ask me to explain the logic there; there isn't any. It's just the way my mind wants to organize those positions by number. 

• Like 8

I don't really mind some of the number changes proposed. I will say though, it'll look weird if there is a TE wearing a single digit number. Numbers in the teens look fine on college TEs though. 

One thing I wish they had proposed, however, is that defensive linemen can wear numbers in the 80s again. With more and more WRs moving away from the 80s, it would be nice to have more players in those numbers, as there is already a precedent of d-linemen wearing them. Also, I've noticed more college d-linemen wearing numbers in the 80s in recent years, so it's not anything out of the ordinary in that regard. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I legitimately want to see that 

Why?

1 hour ago, GriffinM6 said:

I don't really mind some of the number changes proposed. I will say though, it'll look weird if there is a TE wearing a single digit number. Numbers in the teens look fine on college TEs though. 

One thing I wish they had proposed, however, is that defensive linemen can wear numbers in the 80s again. With more and more WRs moving away from the 80s, it would be nice to have more players in those numbers, as there is already a precedent of d-linemen wearing them. Also, I've noticed more college d-linemen wearing numbers in the 80s in recent years, so it's not anything out of the ordinary in that regard. 

80s used to just mean "end", so TE, Split End, or Defensive End.  

Again - there are plenty of numbers.  This is unnecessary and chips away at what a professional football game should look like (not that all the immature show-off "look at me" dudes with their silly socks and to-the-knees undershirts haven't already done that.)

I'm far from a yell-at-clouds "gray facemasks and block fonts only!" guy, but some things are right and some are wrong.  Number 12 being an iconic QB number is right.  Some fat slob wearing it stretched over his untucked undershirt is wrong.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35 minutes ago, BBTV said:

80s used to just mean "end", so TE, Split End, or Defensive End.  

Again - there are plenty of numbers.  This is unnecessary and chips away at what a professional football game should look like (not that all the immature show-off "look at me" dudes with their silly socks and to-the-knees undershirts haven't already done that.)

I'm far from a yell-at-clouds "gray facemasks and block fonts only!" guy, but some things are right and some are wrong.  Number 12 being an iconic QB number is right.  Some fat slob wearing it stretched over his untucked undershirt is wrong.

You strike me as the kind of guy to not watch college football, so I can see why this would look weird, but I've seen plenty of athletic DEs wear numbers in the teens and it doesn't bother me at all. I would imagine most NFL fans are also CFB fans, so for many people, this change really shouldn't take very long to get used to. 

And besides the proposed rule doesn't include any "fat slob" type players to be eligible to wear numbers below 50 anyways, so you've got nothing to worry about there. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

This seems silly to me...but I also ain't NFL brass, so ain't a thing I can do about it.

I don't know why so many lobby for WRs to be able to wear single digits in the NFL--but if we're gonna bust the ol' rules, then go all the way--open up everything within the range of 0-49 for WRs, and for that matter, QBs, too--yeah, let's see some QBs wearing 20, 21 and 22 again, like Doug Flutie, Don Hadl and Bobby Layne used to (Flutie in the CFL, of course).

You know what, how about this? Designate 0-60 for the offense; 60-99 for the defense. Flip the whole dang script over. Oh and allow interior linemen to wear 00 again, too, doggone it. Since the floodgates done been opened, why not???

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I don't know why so many lobby for WRs to be able to wear single digits in the NFL--but if we're gonna bust the ol' rules, then go all the way--open up everything within the range of 0-49 for WRs 

They are opening up like that with the proposal. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tBBP said:

This seems silly to me...but I also ain't NFL brass, so ain't a thing I can do about it.

I don't know why so many lobby for WRs to be able to wear single digits in the NFL--but if we're gonna bust the ol' rules, then go all the way--open up everything within the range of 0-49 for WRs, and for that matter, QBs, too--yeah, let's see some QBs wearing 20, 21 and 22 again, like Doug Flutie, Don Hadl and Bobby Layne used to (Flutie in the CFL, of course).

You know what, how about this? Designate 0-60 for the offense; 60-99 for the defense. Flip the whole dang script over. Oh and allow interior linemen to wear 00 again, too, doggone it. Since the floodgates done been opened, why not???

I want the 80s to become common for WRs again, but otherwise I agree. And I’d love to see a quarterback wearing 0. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

Judging by the MLB's new program, eliminating the one-helmet rule would inevitably bring city jerseys into the NFL. I just wish the NFL could limit alternate helmets to team colors.

They wouldn’t, first you’d get BFBS then the Pandora’s box had already been open by that time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

Judging by the MLB's new program, eliminating the one-helmet rule would inevitably bring city jerseys into the NFL. I just wish the NFL could limit alternate helmets to team colors.

It's funny you seem to think the one helmet rule is all that's stopping it.

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

As it pertains to relaxing one-helmet rule

For each one of these 😍

134857460.0.jpg

we're gonna get a dozen of these 🚮

Broncos-throwback.jpg

espn_throwback-jerseys_16.jpg

Jaguars-1.png

Exactly. I agree. This is why I'm of the opinion that the NFL should not do away with its one helmet shell color rule. Nobody should ever have to see these particularly UGLY uniforms ever again. We don't need to see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers break out the Creamsicle Bucco Bruce uniforms. They weren't particularly easy to look at in the first place, and those uniforms will always be associated with the Buccaneers' early franchise struggles, when they started out 0-26 from 1976-1977.

12 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

None of this would be necessary if all NFL teams unretired numbers and used rings of honor instead. But that’d make too much sense. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm against pro sports teams retiring jersey numbers. All that does is in effect make it harder for teams to issue jersey numbers. All pro sports teams should just create a ring of honor. If a team were to retire all their available jersey numbers, then what happens? Total chaos.

• Like 6

Just hoping to see a QB wearing 22 throw an interception to a DB wearing 81...like the old days lol.

And dammit, bring back 00! When I got my custom Rams jersey awhile back, I seriously considered that number.

• Like 1

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png