New CFL Uniforms & Logos 2023

Wackyriderfan14

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The only thing better would be swapping out the A for a T.  

City initials > nickname initials. 

The primacy of the in Argonauts' logo history speaks to the team's roots. It was founded as a subsidiary of the Argonaut Rowing Club in 1873. In fact, the rowing club owned and operated the team until it was sold to independent operators in 1956. It was referred to as the Argonaut Rowing Club football team, the A.R.C. football team, and the Argonaut Football Club for its first decade of operation. It wasn't until the early 1880s that the place name "Toronto" was first used as an identifier for the team, and even then only informally. Argonauts or Argos was the preferred sobriquet, as there were other Toronto-based teams competing in (rugby) football competition that utilized the city's name in their identity. Hell, the only Ts that appeared in the team's logo for over a century were the pair in the "Pull Together" slogan.

History & Tradition > any city vs. nickname initial debate     

• Like 6

21 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I gotta be the only member of these boards to not like that logo at all. The shield is way better

I never got it besides its nostalgia factor.

But as a Ticats fan, I fully support the Argos adopting a corny-ass logo. 

So... well done!

23 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The primacy of the in Argonauts' logo history speaks to the team's roots. It was founded as a subsidiary of the Argonaut Rowing Club in 1873. In fact, the rowing club owned and operated the team until it was sold to independent operators in 1956. It was referred to as the Argonaut Rowing Club football team, the A.R.C. football team, and the Argonaut Football Club for its first decade of operation. It wasn't until the early 1880s that the place name "Toronto" was first used as an identifier for the team, and even then only informally. Argonauts or Argos was the preferred sobriquet, as there were other Toronto-based teams competing in (rugby) football competition that utilized the city's name in their identity. Hell, the only Ts that appeared in the team's logo for over a century were the pair in the "Pull Together" slogan.

History & Tradition > any city vs. nickname initial debate     

Then again, Toronto's sports teams have not had much of a tradition of 'T' logos 

v2cs63mhao1kv2mfu2ybjr4fp.png

tjdlzj0497ne051s2owk18008.png

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm gonna rant a little here, apologies in advance (and extra apologies to @_J_ who's already been subject to this)...

I realize the new logo is gimmicky and maybe a little corny but you know what? It's fun.

It's also a nod to the interesting history of the team and it's way more recognizable than the shield. The shield is/was a good logo but it is a little generic (maybe plain is a better word?).

If you look at the CFL logos They are primarily letters on a simple backdrop (Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Ottawa and, Winnipeg...just Winnipeg is just a letter) or they are an animal (Calgary, Hamilton, BC...which also has letters). I guess Montreal is an animal too but it's kind of it's own thing so I didn't include it in the animals. 

That's not to say anything negative about the CFL logos, overall I think the league has more good than bad.

This, although admittedly it features a letter, is something a little different from the rest. I like that.

If the Atlantic team comes in, then I guess it won't be different from the rest of the league anymore but I'm not convinced that is going to happen (but that's topic for another day and thread).

I donno. Maybe I'm just overthinking it but whatever, that's my little rant about why I like it. 

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Then again, Toronto's sports teams have not had much of a tradition of 'T' logos 

v2cs63mhao1kv2mfu2ybjr4fp.png

tjdlzj0497ne051s2owk18008.png

I was speaking, specifically, to the history and tradition of the Argonauts. Why should the Argos' decisions on any aspect of their branding be dictated by what the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC, or other pro sports franchises in the market elect to do? The Argonauts' history and tradition began establishing itself before that of any of the other pro sports teams that now call the market home.

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I was speaking, specifically, to the history and tradition of the Argonauts. Why should the Argos' decisions on any aspect of their branding be dictated by what the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC, or other pro sports franchises in the market elect to do? The Argonauts' history and tradition began establishing itself before that of any of the other pro sports teams that now call the market home.

I understand that. It was really more of response to Gothamite said about preferring city initials. I prefer the 'A' myself. 

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

I know it's technically for 2021, but Hamilton released their Grey Cup logo. Interesting that we're going to have two 108th logos, because Saskatchewan got cancelled this year.

127020835-10159593210382494-243130611972

• Like 4
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I've always liked the Argos boat logo--and this new version is better than the previous ones.

I like the flow of it--and the colouring is well done--and as mentioned--the waves/sleeves

I'm looking forward to seeing this in action 

• Like 1

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

On 11/22/2020 at 1:03 AM, Wackyriderfan14 said:

Could’ve used more yellow. Hopefully Sask uses the same design. Loved how green was the main colour. Helped differentiate the templates 

This is what Saskatchewan was going to use.

GC2020.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 3 weeks later...

I've got to think the Argos will tweak their jerseys a bit too. They're already too plain and removing the stripe on the helmet just emphasizes that. I'd like to see some stripes in the form of a wave on the shoulders, similar to what's in the new logo.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Think it's time to start a new thread for the 2021 season (assuming we have one this year).

Anyway, here's one some folks might have missed but the Alouettes just made a FB post announcing it - the wordmark version of the new logo is now flipped, so it's Alouettes on top, then Montreal.

New logo already on their website too - and has been on their social media for the last little while without anyone really noticing the change.

https://www.facebook.com/mtlalouettes/photos/a.437809341378/10158304526886379

MTL-Als.png

Older version for comparison:

als-old.png

• Like 1