2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

On 12/15/2021 at 2:51 PM, QCS said:

Diagonal letters always look bad, especially for such a long word like "Pittsburgh". The Rangers are the only team that should be using them and only because of historical context.

Maybe my aesthetics are shaped by being a fan of college hockey, but I think shorter words look worse diagonally than longer words. I also don't think that the Rangers should own such a traditional hockey look just because they're the NHL team most associated with it.

1177978625.jpeg

20140308_jla_sv7_139.0.jpg

miller-zuccarello-010118-getty-ftrjpg_3t

636245455999264567-20170211-pjc-bm4-155-

ac654998d0b2405915c6ad5572fd9b50.jpg

ows_6647ffe8_31a7_40f0_9265_00a2eee1e5d6

190302MH_Michigan_052_Weissbach.JPG

111938198.0.jpg

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Maybe my aesthetics are shaped by being a fan of college hockey, but I think shorter words look worse diagonally than longer words. I also don't think that the Rangers should own such a traditional hockey look just because they're the NHL team most associated with it.

1177978625.jpeg

20140308_jla_sv7_139.0.jpg

miller-zuccarello-010118-getty-ftrjpg_3t

636245455999264567-20170211-pjc-bm4-155-

ac654998d0b2405915c6ad5572fd9b50.jpg

ows_6647ffe8_31a7_40f0_9265_00a2eee1e5d6

190302MH_Michigan_052_Weissbach.JPG

111938198.0.jpg

All of those NHL ones look great imo

4 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

IMO, that is the best looking jersey they've ever had.  I wish they'd just reversed it on the road...

3dKqrVh.jpg

Apparently they wanted to go with 4 jerseys, a black & white robo-pen, and a black & white diagonal wordmark set. The league nixed the idea, so they decided to take on jersey from each pair instead of going with a cohesive set. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I know it's a traditional hockey look and I'm well aware my opinion is an unpopular one, but I just don't like diagonal lettering on hockey jerseys. Aesthetically I think a crest looks better every single time, including the Rangers. I only specified the Rangers because even if I think they'd look better with a crest as opposed to the wordmark, they've never done that.

Edited by QCS
forgot some words lol
  • Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

42 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Apparently they wanted to go with 4 jerseys, a black & white robo-pen, and a black & white diagonal wordmark set. The league nixed the idea, so they decided to take on jersey from each pair instead of going with a cohesive set. 

Yup!

qGGrPZU.png

• Like 9

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

4 hours ago, QCS said:

I only specified the Rangers because even if I think they'd look better with a crest as opposed to the wordmark, they've never done that.

They did use the shield logo as a crest briefly in the late '70s.  It wasn't well-received.

LVSLTh7.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/17/2021 at 6:18 PM, Echo said:

They did use the shield logo as a crest briefly in the late '70s.  It wasn't well-received.

LVSLTh7.jpg

Unpopular opinion but I don’t hate these and I wish they were brought back as an alternate.

They are unique and that’s a good thing. They are like the father of 90s jerseys.

These Knicks uniforms as well:

wEDR421.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/17/2021 at 10:20 AM, Mingjai said:

a series of diagonal-lettering hockey sweaters

I don't like any of these at all. Only the Rangers' normal home and away look good. They need to redesign their primary to have similar lettering, though. The rotated lettering looks cheap.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, Survival79 said:

Yup!

qGGrPZU.png

Another one of the bad 90's trends in NHL uniforms besides the BFBS movement was the removal of pants stripes. Those Penguins pants should have kept the previous V-stripes or have straight white-gold-white stripes on the new pants.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Another one of the bad 90's trends in NHL uniforms besides the BFBS movement was the removal of pants stripes.

That's interesting. You're absolutely right and I can't believe I never noticed that. In 1990-91 only two teams had solid pants, the Bruins and Flyers. By 1999-2000, 20(!) teams had stripe-less pants. 15 teams currently wear solid pants with their regular uniforms which makes sense considering many teams went back to 80s uniforms full time. Unless we count alternate jerseys, then it's 12, which is still pretty high

Safe to say it was a 90s trend but we still feel the lingering effects lol. I bet I would have similar results if I counted solid coloured gloves vs gloves that had contrasting fingers, back rolls and cuff rolls

I've pitched the idea before but it would be cool if there was a "uniform trends throughout the decades" thread

• Like 2

23 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Another one of the bad 90's trends in NHL uniforms besides the BFBS movement was the removal of pants stripes. Those Penguins pants should have kept the previous V-stripes or have straight white-gold-white stripes on the new pants.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind if most of the teams who currently have pant stripes ditched them altogether. Too many of them use a pant stripe that doesn't match any other striping in their uniforms (Calgary, Nashville, NYI, Pittsburgh, Vancouver), or use a stripe that only matches one of their uniforms (Chicago, Edmonton).

Detroit, Tampa, and Toronto are the only teams where I think the pant stripe enhances both uniforms.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:15 PM, Cujo said:

Q: Have the Chargers ever had a bad uniform?

1 hour ago, squamfan said:

Man I was thinking about this the other day... goalie masks have gotten too elaborate. The simple designs that play into the teams uniform and striping are just incredible such as this one. I used to love those mask hockey cards of goalie helmets too. They were almost like that goaltender's identity. 

• Like 5