Examples of two teams wearing clashing/same colors against one another?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spacer.png

Pre-season game in 2016 in London, Ontario.  Florida thought Dallas would be wearing green because they would be playing again a couple of days later in Texas, so Florida obviously brought only their white jerseys.  Nothing is really going to beat this example.

Islanders/Oilers matchups were always fun when both teams were using royal blue. Looked like an inter-squad match.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fitworksfine.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F05%2Fwayne-gretzky-denis-potvin-091713-e1400775617984.jpg&f=1&nofb=1?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.newsday.com%2Fpolopoly_fs%2F1.11520970.1456721487!%2FhttpImage%2Fimage.JPG_gen%2Fderivatives%2Fdisplay_960%2Fimage.JPG&f=1&nofb=1

Penguins/Predators games are always a little hard to watch, especially when Nashville is home.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.chatsports.com%2Fthumbnails%2F2002-83334-original.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

Penguins/Bruins games were also very yellow when Pittsburgh wore their yellow alts.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fthumbor%2Fr8rDXb6wESgmrZYpeMdAC75gH8o%3D%2F0x0%3A2145x1472%2F1200x800%2Ffilters%3Afocal(480x585%3A822x927)%2Fcdn.vox-cdn.com%2Fuploads%2Fchorus_image%2Fimage%2F62685164%2Fusa_today_11845701.0.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I'm trying to think of NBA examples besides red vs. orange and white vs. gray, which I think were already mentioned in the other thread.

This may not be the most egregious example out there, but in 2011 the Bucks played the Knicks in a green-vs.-blue matchup (this also happened to be Carmelo Anthony's debut as a Knick).  Knicks were at home wearing blue throwbacks, Bucks wearing their regular road greens.

New York Knicks Landry Fields dunks the basketball in the first quarter  against the Milwaukee Bucks in Carmelo Anthony's first game ever as a Knick  at Madison Square Garden in New York

Back then, color-on-color matchups were still somewhat rare in the NBA, so I remember this game looking pretty bad/weird and wondering why the Bucks didn't just wear their white jerseys to get better contrast. This was still before the NBA went insane; home teams back then normally wore white (or yellow), and on the rare occasion a home team ever wore their "road" color, the road team would normally just wear white.  I mean it's not THAT close of a color matchup, but it's the best "older" NBA example I could remember that wasn't mentioned yet.

Never been a fan of the navy-royal Brewers-Cubs battles, but now that the Brewers only wear navy on the road, those matchups will thankfully be less frequent.

1204217956.jpg.0.jpg

(Feb 29, 2020, only new look Brewers navy-Cubs royal matchup so far)

787fd968-5851-4606-901f-97284eb94d1d-AP_CUBS_BREWERS_BASEBALL_72314180_1.JPG

(Sep 5, 2018)

It's also possible the Brewers wore navy and the Cubs wore royal in 1997-1999, but I couldn't find it.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Twins vs. Indians: The plot thickens with 13 games left vs. each other |  Star Tribune

Cleveland vs Minnesota can be a bit of a mess if you're not aware who's the home team. I want to say they wore navy vs navy once, but that may be a Mandela affect thing. They have worn red vs blue, with both teams wearing both colors.

Indians vs Twins MLB Live Stream Reddit for Series Opener

Homers, Dobnak's pitching vault Twins over Indians | The Blade

As far as actual confusion causing looks, the Knicks again are here, wearing orange vs red against Atlanta. 

Knicks and Hawks played each other while wearing the same-colored uniforms  - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The all-purple Vikings game in 1964 started with both the Lions and Vikings wearing white for the first quarter.

spacer.png

And I think the infamous Bills-Jets Color Rush counts because of the colorblindness issue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

14 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I'm trying to think of NBA examples besides red vs. orange and white vs. gray, which I think were already mentioned in the other thread.

This may not be the most egregious example out there, but in 2011 the Bucks played the Knicks in a green-vs.-blue matchup (this also happened to be Carmelo Anthony's debut as a Knick).  Knicks were at home wearing blue throwbacks, Bucks wearing their regular road greens.

New York Knicks Landry Fields dunks the basketball in the first quarter  against the Milwaukee Bucks in Carmelo Anthony's first game ever as a Knick  at Madison Square Garden in New York

Back then, color-on-color matchups were still somewhat rare in the NBA, so I remember this game looking pretty bad/weird and wondering why the Bucks didn't just wear their white jerseys to get better contrast. This was still before the NBA went insane; home teams back then normally wore white (or yellow), and on the rare occasion a home team ever wore their "road" color, the road team would normally just wear white.  I mean it's not THAT close of a color matchup, but it's the best "older" NBA example I could remember that wasn't mentioned yet.

This and the famous Bill-Jets colorblind game is why I prefer the leagues designating home and road jerseys and find the increase in color-on-color matchups troubling. I know soccer does it, but they have a clash system in place and somebody has to decide ahead of time if the uniforms are too similar. And they still run into occasional problems. The NBA doesn't seem to have any rules in place, teams seem to wear a different uniform every night, and many of the color-color matchups look awful. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

44 minutes ago, Sport said:

This and the famous Bill-Jets colorblind game is why I prefer the leagues designating home and road jerseys and find the increase in color-on-color matchups troubling. I know soccer does it, but they have a clash system in place and somebody has to decide ahead of time if the uniforms are too similar. And they still run into occasional problems. The NBA doesn't seem to have any rules in place, teams seem to wear a different uniform every night, and many of the color-color matchups look awful. 

Exhibit A: Stoke City vs. West Brom in 2017

spacer.png

Yes, one team is in red-and-white stripes while the other is in blue-and-white, and Stoke was wearing red socks to West Brom's white...nevertheless, there's an awful lot of white in this matchup and, especially on television, could become a bit more difficult than it should be to pick out which team was which.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

The all-purple Vikings game in 1964 started with both the Lions and Vikings wearing white for the first quarter.

spacer.png

I'm surprised it took this long for this one to be mentioned.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Browns vs. Bengals has been a nightmare to watch for the past 5-6 years. There's just too much orange and black/brown. It got better last season, but the Browns still wore orange pants for both games. Hopefully the Bengals new sets are much more black dominant and don't include orange jerseys or pants. 

Browns-Bengals-orange-4.png

So many MLB examples. I first encountered this at Padres/Brewers in County Stadium in the late 1990s.  From the upper deck, there wasn't a lot to distinguish. At the very least, there needs to be a rule against two teams wearing the same color (though I'd be all for only one team being allowed to wear an alt).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Browns vs. Bengals has been a nightmare to watch for the past 5-6 years. There's just too much orange and black/brown. It got better last season, but the Browns still wore orange pants for both games. Hopefully the Bengals new sets are much more black dominant and don't include orange jerseys or pants. 

Browns-Bengals-orange-4.png

That game was literally HARD to watch. Like it was physically uncomfortable. Why would the Bengals choose that opponent to wear their orange jerseys against? Why would the Browns in turn choose to wear their orange pants making the problem worse? Couldn't have worn their brown pants that day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS4Z6LEryvk

GettyImages-617474396.jpg

Look at that silliness? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

So many MLB examples. I first encountered this at Padres/Brewers in County Stadium in the late 1990s.  From the upper deck, there wasn't a lot to distinguish. At the very least, there needs to be a rule against two teams wearing the same color (though I'd be all for only one team being allowed to wear an alt).

I mean, we get annoyed sometimes in baseball when you see the Indians/Twins wear navy against the White Sox wearing black, or something like that, but how different is white and gray from navy and black, honestly? Yes, they're distinguishable, but they're hardly that far apart on the overall color spectrum. We just accept it because it's something we're used to and because of "tradition", nevermind the reasons necessitating gray MLB uniforms haven't been a problem for decades now. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I mean, we get annoyed sometimes in baseball when you see the Indians/Twins wear navy against the White Sox wearing black, or something like that, but how different is white and gray from navy and black, honestly? Yes, they're distinguishable, but they're hardly that far apart on the overall color spectrum. We just accept it because it's something we're used to and because of "tradition", nevermind the reasons necessitating gray MLB uniforms haven't been a problem for decades now. 

Yeah. I suppose the A's and Angels in green vs. red is even more distinguishable than white vs. gray. I'd still argue that the place to draw the line is white or gray should be included in each game because 1) then we don't have to draw a line and watch navy vs. black, navy vs. royal, or teal Mariners vs. kelly A's and 2) even the obvious contrasts bug me and I'd rather primaries play a bigger role.

I don't think wearing whatever jersey the starting pitcher wants makes it worth saying "the Cubs and Brewers don't wear the same blue, so it's cool.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived