Examples of two teams wearing clashing/same colors against one another?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, SCalderwood said:

I'm trying to think of NBA examples besides red vs. orange and white vs. gray, which I think were already mentioned in the other thread.

This may not be the most egregious example out there, but in 2011 the Bucks played the Knicks in a green-vs.-blue matchup (this also happened to be Carmelo Anthony's debut as a Knick).  Knicks were at home wearing blue throwbacks, Bucks wearing their regular road greens.

New York Knicks Landry Fields dunks the basketball in the first quarter  against the Milwaukee Bucks in Carmelo Anthony's first game ever as a Knick  at Madison Square Garden in New York

Back then, color-on-color matchups were still somewhat rare in the NBA, so I remember this game looking pretty bad/weird and wondering why the Bucks didn't just wear their white jerseys to get better contrast. This was still before the NBA went insane; home teams back then normally wore white (or yellow), and on the rare occasion a home team ever wore their "road" color, the road team would normally just wear white.  I mean it's not THAT close of a color matchup, but it's the best "older" NBA example I could remember that wasn't mentioned yet.

And a little later in the same season IIRC, the Bucks took on the Magic, who decided to go with their black alts.  In both cases, I REALLY wish the Bucks had worn their red alts, as both of these games were way harder to watch than they should have been.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 3/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, burgundy said:

And I think the infamous Bills-Jets Color Rush counts because of the colorblindness issue.

spacer.png

Last month I learned my Samsung TV has blue, red and green channels in case this happens again. Probably not the sole reason, but it's there. 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, Kramerica Industries said:

Exhibit A: Stoke City vs. West Brom in 2017

spacer.png

Yes, one team is in red-and-white stripes while the other is in blue-and-white, and Stoke was wearing red socks to West Brom's white...nevertheless, there's an awful lot of white in this matchup and, especially on television, could become a bit more difficult than it should be to pick out which team was which.

Sunderland and Newcastle United would do this too, the main differnece would be one team wearing black shorts. AC Milan and Inter Milan do this too.

AC Milan Vs. Inter Milan: The recent rise and fall of the Milan empires -  SBNation.com

Inter 2-1 AC Milan: Refereeing disaster and Eriksen free-kick sees the  Nerazzurri progress

Newcastle United vs Sunderland: 6 of the Best Games in the Tyne-Wear  Derby's History

Football Premier League Sunderland vs Newcastle United Editorial Stock  Photo - Stock Image | Shutterstock

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, Sport said:

That game was literally HARD to watch. Like it was physically uncomfortable. Why would the Bengals choose that opponent to wear their orange jerseys against? Why would the Browns in turn choose to wear their orange pants making the problem worse? Couldn't have worn their brown pants that day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS4Z6LEryvk

GettyImages-617474396.jpg

Look at that silliness? 

Was a wonderful game for someone who loves electric orange like me lol. But yeah, that was an awful contrast.

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

I've always found it annoying when teams don't pick a contrasting look for no reason. 

Penn State's uniform is pretty standard. Home its blue, road its white. Both uniforms are very white-heavy. Yet teams seem to ignore this and pick awful clashes.

Teams like Wisconsin, who wear white-heavy uniforms as it is, I have no issue with. I have an issue when the team HAS options and elects to not use them.

(examples included in spoiler)

Spoiler

Penn State Football: QB Report Post Kent State 2018

Purdue: Moments and Takeaways From the Win - Penn State University Athletics

Field Goal in Final 3 Seconds Dooms UCF « Dr. Blackwell's BLOG

Three keys to a Michigan football win over Penn State Nittany Lions

and yes, I know Michigan has gotten away from yellow pants on the road, but it used to clash so well, especially in the Whiteout.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 3/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, VDizzle12 said:

Browns vs. Bengals has been a nightmare to watch for the past 5-6 years. There's just too much orange and black/brown. It got better last season, but the Browns still wore orange pants for both games. Hopefully the Bengals new sets are much more black dominant and don't include orange jerseys or pants. 

Browns-Bengals-orange-4.png

I was at this game and boy was it bad. The pink Breast Cancer Awareness accessories made it worse too. 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, rorinator said:

Washington Nationals 9-6 over St. Louis Cardinals: Juan Soto hits first HR  of the Spring in Jupiter, FL. - Federal BaseballThe Nationals and Cardinals wore the same color versus each other during Spring Training this year (white pants are STL, gray are WSH).

The same thing happened last week (03/02) with the Reds and Angels. 

On 3/18/2021 at 3:59 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Clippers vs Mavericks last night.  Not exactly clashing, but at times from distance they blended together. 

I can imagine.  Several years ago, I was playing NBA Live, had a Bucks franchise going, and the next game happened to be against the Nets.  The unis I picked were the 90s big deer greens for the Bucks, and the grays for the Nets.  Horrible decision on my part, I could barely tell them apart.

Other examples I remember seeing: a few years before the conference musical chairs, Texas A&M and Colorado faced off in the Big XII women's hoops tournament, the Aggies in silver and CU in gold.  Whoever okayed that matchup should've been fired.

Watched this game on TV...very much like the aforementioned Browns-Bengals orangefest.  There are also a couple silver vs white college games I remember seeing at least one picture of: Army basketball vs Navy, and Nevada football vs somebody, can't remember who.  

usatsi_2098244.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 4/5/2021 at 10:00 PM, sleuthpanther said:

That Georgia cinci peach bowl probably could qualify for this thread 

I totally forgot about that! That was really bad

spacer.png

Someone had to have screwed up somewhere. I always thought there was some sort of communication between teams in regards to choosing uniforms.

My Facebook memories reminded me of one. For those who don't know, I used to work for the Pensacola Ice Flyers. In the SPHL, teams wear white at home in the playoffs. This is a thing that is just known, especially if you're a legacy team. Pensacola's owner grew up a fan of the Winnipeg Jets so Whiteout the Hangar is a BIG deal. Knoxville is one of those legacy teams. They predate the SPHL and are one of only three original teams left. They showed up for game one of the semifinal with their white jerseys. Both teams came out for warmups and our entire staff immediately thought, "umwut." 

Knoxville's GM pretended it was an accident but you know damn well what you're doing with that. Pensacola changed into their navy jerseys after warmies. Greg, the owner, is extremely superstitious and the jersey switch sure didn't help. Neither did losing our only game of the post season.

I don't have access to the photos of it anymore but our photographers never took photos during warm ups but that night I had hundreds of photos showing both teams in white to sift through.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived