New Seattle Storm logo

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/seattle-storm-unveils-new-logo-the-first-major-redesign-since-debut-in-2000/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_tw_m&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614708209

03012021_New-Seattle-Storm-Logo_202221-7

03012021_New-Seattle-Storm-Logo_202142-7

Well, there it is! Fits it well with WNBA uniforms feeling more like soccer-style jerseys than traditional basketball uniforms, what with sponsors being presented more prominently than team logos. And it wouldn't be a Seattle-based logo without the Space Needle!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, 29texan said:

Not to take away from the ladies (it's a well done logo, imo), but you think this could be a sign of what's to come for the eventual Sonics rebirth...?

As far as the branding being similar, I can see that. They'll probably have logos that look less like they were designed in Paint.com like these do. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Definitely reminds me of a soccer logo. Similar to Atlanta and Chicago's new logos.  

Interesting the addition of a 2nd shade of green. The WNBA template jerseys have been reduced to basically 2 colors for all the teams. Will be interesting to see if there's a new template that allows for all three colors or if they'll stick with dark green with yellow accents, and yellow with dark green accents only.  Maybe the bright green for accessories.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

That looks gorgeous. My only gripe is the font, which seems a bit overly modern, but it works with the logo well enough. I'm loving most of the new logos for the league as a whole. The league has been stuck in the early 2000s long enough, glad to see that over half the league has some serviceable, modern identities. The new shade of green looks great with the other colors. They did a good job of picking a shade that feels electric while still contrasting with the bright yellow.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

This works for me! As mentioned, pretty reminiscent of other recent WNBA redesigns. 

It's surprising it took this long for them to find their own look. They've spent 20+ years with a package based off of the late-90s Sonics logo (with a color change downgrade along the way) even though the Sonics got rid of that look right after the Storm came to be. 

Back when WNBA teams had wordmarks on their jerseys, the previous logo worked well enough for the Storm. This new look should work better for current WNBA jersey applications. The S logo just wasn't great, especially once they changed the colors. 

This is great. I always liked the nostalgia of the old-Sonics-adjacent logo, so I didn’t think this had to be done but now that I see it I’m pretty impressed!

A good redesign and hopefully another sign the Sonics are coming back after the absolutely abhorrent behavior the NBA has displayed towards my city this century.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I really like the double green and gold together, that’s a great color scheme! I’m curious to see how it’s utilized. I like the logo as well, though something about the way the text runs in the shield looks a little wonky for some reason. That aside, I really like the idea of it and find that particular shield shape visually interesting. It should stand out pretty well amongst the other logos in the league.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I really like the double green and gold together, that’s a great color scheme! I’m curious to see how it’s utilized. I like the logo as well, though something about the way the text runs in the shield looks a little wonky for some reason. That aside, I really like the idea of it and find that particular shield shape visually interesting. It should stand out pretty well amongst the other logos in the league.

I agree. Looks a lot like the Portland Timbers' color scheme, which is probably exactly what Seattle sports fans want to hear. ;)

This is really good! I find the addition of the lighter green unnecessary, but while I did like the nostalgia of the old one it was showing its age. This is sleek and fits with the more soccer-ish WNBA identities.

That arch at the bottom looks ready to be flipped vertically to resemble the Sonics arch, and I wouldn’t hate it at all

I do find it slightly amusing that they chose to name their main color “Thunder”

07Giants.pngnyy.png

26 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

This is really good! I find the addition of the lighter green unnecessary, but while I did like the nostalgia of the old one it was showing its age. This is sleek and fits with the more soccer-ish WNBA identities.

That arch at the bottom looks ready to be flipped vertically to resemble the Sonics arch, and I wouldn’t hate it at all

I do find it slightly amusing that they chose to name their main color “Thunder”

Their previous scheme included "Thunder Gray," which at least made more sense. The last color that comes to mind when I think of thunder (which, yes, is a sound and doesn't have a color but I digress) is green.

I'm undecided how I feel about that lightning bolt. On the one hand, it's simple, it's bold, and it's evocative of a storm. Perfect.

On the other hand, you could accuse the team of slapping a clip art lightning bolt on the Space Needle and calling it a logo. I'm not saying I'm doing that; just that a person could.

In the end, I think I'm landing on respecting the audacity of it all. In most things, I think simple is better, but simple is also incredibly difficult. The Storm combined a basketball, Space Needle (their new arena is literally in the shadow of the Needle) and a weather icon in the most elegant way possible. And it's easy for a kid to draw, passing the @Gothamite test.

As a fan, I'm a fan.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Storm combined a basketball, Space Needle (their new arena is literally in the shadow of the Needle) and a weather icon in the most elegant way possible

And Mt. Rainier, if you believe the brandspeak.

The new logo retains the iconic image of the Space Needle, which sits within basketball ribs. Overlooking it all is the peak of Mount Rainier, representing Seattle’s home in the Pacific Northwest. At the center, a lightning bolt evokes the intensity, power, and purpose of the Storm identity both on and off the court.

1 minute ago, TaylorMade said:

And Mt. Rainier, if you believe the brandspeak.

So that's why it's shaped like an upside down home plate.

2 hours ago, walkerws said:

Seattle has a nice look. Atlanta’s is lacking, in my opinion. 

Agreed. Seattle is serving up recognizable elements that represent the team's name. Atlanta is sort of giving us clues to several unrecognizable elements that have little to do with their team name. 

Archived