2021-22 NBA Changes

On 8/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, dont care said:

It’s likely just the filter giving it that look. They are reusing the same swoosh

Do you know this to be a fact?

55 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Wish more pro teams would work that way.  I honestly can't think of one that ever did this before.  Can you imagine if the Sabers released a concept of the Slug before committing to it?

Public beta testing identities got us the blue Seahawks helmet and the Seattle Sounders MLS name. I'm sure there are many others.

It is kind of wild they commit so much to identities -- letterhead, merchandise, everything else -- and so many newish identities are pretty disposable. Which I guess gives Nike cover; these NBA looks aren't meant to last, so I suppose they're more willing to hear fan feedback?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 3/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, QCS said:

When people talk about teams with identity crises, I don't think enough people mention the Cavs. They've got a trainwreck of a brand, with multiple eras of different colors and even nowadays with navy and black competing unnecessarily. That first picture with the 2000s LeBron era is fantastic, the Cavs never should've gone away from that.

I feel like the Utah Jazz also have an identity crisis.  They can't decide what colors they want to stick with long term or if they want to appease Jazz culture or go with regional uniforms like the purple mountain or southern Utah.  Their city edition is a solid identity and I wonder if they should roll with that long term.  

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

and the Seattle Sounders MLS name.

That wasn't public beta testing. That was the public wanting to keep an existing name that had history dating back to the original NASL.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

In 2k22 trailer not only Brooklyn and Lakers don't have a sponsor (with Nets you can spot a fan with Motorola logo) but also Wizards are without it.

Btw after reading press release about Moto x Nets I think they might put Razr logo on jersey. Read this:

Motorola will also serve as the Official Smartphone Partner of the Brooklyn Nets, with the intent of further raising the profile of the beloved razr - recently relaunched in a new sleek, foldable smartphone.

Razr logo was apperead on court in last season.

4r2eer.png

5 hours ago, pepis21 said:

In 2k22 trailer not only Brooklyn and Lakers don't have a sponsor (with Nets you can spot a fan with Motorola logo) but also Wizards are without it.

Wizards are changing their partner: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/washington-wizards-owner-wants-12-million-a-year-for-jersey-sponsorship.html

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 5:56 PM, Igor Coelho said:

It draws my attention that we didn't see any Classic uni for the Toronto Raptors, but they are set to play the first "Classic Matchup" of the season.

Since Nike already published their release mentioning only the Knicks, Warriors and Celtics, I expect at least some nod to the Huskies for Raptors "mashup uni".

And hm... Hawks vs. Lakers could be a gorgeous yellow vs. purple matchup of the mashups.

You got it, @kimball.

Aren't the Knicks  and Celtics wearing "White" city/throwbacks this year? Obviously it won't be White VS White so one of the clubs will have to wear their "Icon" edition. 

6 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Look at 2:10 and then 2:11 :D

BTW there is no 75th logo on ball? Vucevic leaked something different.

That can be easily added/changed.  Also, Starks shoots over Jordan: I miss the Logoman in front of the jersey.  And no Nike logos nor ads!

On 8/31/2021 at 1:02 PM, beachperroAZ said:

I feel like the Utah Jazz also have an identity crisis.  They can't decide what colors they want to stick with long term or if they want to appease Jazz culture or go with regional uniforms like the purple mountain or southern Utah.  Their city edition is a solid identity and I wonder if they should roll with that long term.  

Why do they have an orange or green color? It doesn't make sense. The purple color did. 

15 hours ago, gothedistance said:

The color purple was perfect for Utah. I don't think the other colors match the place.

Green very much matches Utah (resident here). But, honestly, I think Jazz fans are largely indifferent to the team’s identity crisis because the navy blue feels like a muted purple and the red rock jerseys represent the state where as the TEAM colors are more associated with NOLA still.

• Like 4

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 9/3/2021 at 1:59 AM, pepis21 said:

Look at 2:10 and then 2:11 :D

BTW there is no 75th logo on ball? Vucevic leaked something different.

They must've scrapped the 2 connects they have, one was made last season and one was at the draft, so who knows

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHfuT4-o3uH/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thescore.com%2Fnba%2Fnews%2F2185157&psig=AOvVaw26AV2EXArIfs0UvB3MQaos&ust=1630950470355000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCKDBqJKy6PICFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

9 hours ago, kimball said:

Green very much matches Utah (resident here). But, honestly, I think Jazz fans are largely indifferent to the team’s identity crisis because the navy blue feels like a muted purple and the red rock jerseys represent the state where as the TEAM colors are more associated with NOLA still.

100% agree that green matches the area well (lots of forests all across the state), but as I’ve said before, I feel like the redrock only represents a part of the state rather than the whole thing. The color scheme looks very out of place when compared to the Wasatch Front, and it’s one of the reasons it has never really meshed with me (and this is coming from someone whose father’s family hails from southern Utah - I have lots of ties to the region and love it). 

One of the reasons I really loved the color scheme of the Finals teams was that it looked like it represented the whole state - purple, sky blue, and teal evoked the mountains, snow, and forests well, and copper was a great “catch all” color that evoked the deserts well (in addition to nodding to the state’s copper industry). You could argue too that the color scheme’s similarities to the early Diamondbacks gave the scheme a versatility that allowed it to look “mountain” and “southwest” all at once.

I think if the Jazz are going to truly represent the state in color and brand, they have to strike a balance like the 90’s scheme did. Doesn’t necessarily have to be the same exact colors, but the approach needs to cater to the diverse geography of the state rather than a part of it. The double blue color scheme that followed suffered from being much more “generic cold weather team” than its predecessor and excluding southern Utah, and the redrock color scheme suffers a similar problem in reverse: a scheme that, while referencing redrock country, is still somewhat generically “hot” and excludes the Wasatch Front. 

• Like 8

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 9/5/2021 at 8:57 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

100% agree that green matches the area well (lots of forests all across the state), but as I’ve said before, I feel like the redrock only represents a part of the state rather than the whole thing. The color scheme looks very out of place when compared to the Wasatch Front, and it’s one of the reasons it has never really meshed with me (and this is coming from someone whose father’s family hails from southern Utah - I have lots of ties to the region and love it). 

One of the reasons I really loved the color scheme of the Finals teams was that it looked like it represented the whole state - purple, sky blue, and teal evoked the mountains, snow, and forests well, and copper was a great “catch all” color that evoked the deserts well (in addition to nodding to the state’s copper industry). You could argue too that the color scheme’s similarities to the early Diamondbacks gave the scheme a versatility that allowed it to look “mountain” and “southwest” all at once.

I think if the Jazz are going to truly represent the state in color and brand, they have to strike a balance like the 90’s scheme did. Doesn’t necessarily have to be the same exact colors, but the approach needs to cater to the diverse geography of the state rather than a part of it. The double blue color scheme that followed suffered from being much more “generic cold weather team” than its predecessor and excluding southern Utah, and the redrock color scheme suffers a similar problem in reverse: a scheme that, while referencing redrock country, is still somewhat generically “hot” and excludes the Wasatch Front. 

This is a fair take, coming from someone who grew up in southern Utah as well. I’m a sucker for the red rock sunset look (I’m even guilty of owning a couple jerseys), but even I’ve got to admit that it suffers from not representing northern Utah. If the G-League Stars were based in St. George, it would be perfect as a full-time look for them.

I’ve also felt that the 1990s color scheme—or at least the base of Purple/Light Blue (or Teal)/Copper—represented the entire state, with copper representing Canyon Country and the copper industry, well as a whole.

I’ve also thought that the copper would’ve complimented the two-tone blue well (as I’ve said before, despite it having the opposite issue of the red rocks, Light Blue/Dark Blue at least fits Salt Lake/the Wasatch Front well). For that matter, I think copper could work with Dark Green/Gold (Yellow) (IMO another color scheme that fits Utah) also, if done right.

I wouldn’t mind seeing any of the aforementioned palettes ported over to the current Association/Icon/Statement designs, as I don’t have any real issues with the jersey designs. I think Purple/Light Blue/Copper ultimately wins out by committee in my mind, as it’s actually been used, purple/light blue is close enough to two-tone blue, and would still stand out even after Seattle inevitably gets an NBA team.

• Like 4