2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

I'd like to think we can all recognize the fact the silver facemask is the least of the problems with this turd of a uniform.

18 hours ago, nuordr said:

They should as the facemask sticks out like a sore thumb, just like the new chrome facemask for the Falcons. It is not uniform at all if the color is not used on all parts of the uniform in my opinion. 

If you noticed, I said all parts of the uniform which means where is the silver on the jersey, pants, and socks genius? I consider the helmet to be the shell and facemask, not another part of the uniform.  

spacer.png

18 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Teams that have traditionally or went back to a throwback look with a grey facemask don't need to shoehorn grey anywhere else on their uniform.  When the Giants dropped the underlined helmet logo and went throwback, they completed that look by using an era appropriate facemask. It predates colored facemasks.

The niners have a grey mask and zero grey in their unis and it looks right because that is the era their unis are trying to evoke. (The sleeve stripes are the issue)

I respect your opinion, but highly disagree. Gray facemasks have not been needed on uniforms without gray for about 40 years. The technology has existed for quite sometime to make colored facemasks. Gray doesn't represent "old school" to me, it represents "cheap" and lack of uniformity. 

spacer.png

Personally, I think teams should be allowed up to 3 facemasks.

- 3 team colors

or

- 2 team colors and grey or white or black

or

- 1 team color, white and/or grey and/or black

or

- 1 black, 1 white, 1 grey

Examples-

Browns (brown, white, grey)

Bills (blue, red, white)

Colts (blue, white, grey)

Broncos (blue, orange, white)

Vikings (black, white, grey)

Washington (gold, black, grey)

Saints (black, white, grey)

Cardinals (red, white, grey)

12 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

- 3 team colors

or

or

or

Examples-

Bills (blue, red, white)

I would get behind this suggestion. The Utah Utes used to switch out their facemask with their white helmet and each look gave the uniform a new look. 

spacer.png

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

- 3 team colors

or

or

or

Examples-

Bills (blue, red, white)

Many of the rules and restrictions are around marketing and sales.

They don't want a team changing the primary jerseys every year and ending up with tons of stock of outdated items. That is why the 5 year uniform rule was implemented but honestly that was mainly done around the jerseys more than anything else.

While mini helmets and replica helmets are sold they are not exactly huge sellers like jerseys.

I don't honestly think the NFL league office would object to teams using multiple facemasks. It honestly is just more cost, work, and overhead by the teams' equipment staff if they did that. The NFL doesn't care really when teams make changes or additions to the team pants or socks since those items aren't sold.

I think this is a team level thing as to why this practice of multiple facemask color options really isn't done.

2 minutes ago, canzman said:

Many of the rules and restrictions are around marketing and sales.

They don't want a team changing the primary jerseys every year and ending up with tons of stock of outdated items. That is why the 5 year uniform rule was implemented but honestly that was mainly done around the jerseys more than anything else.

While mini helmets and replica helmets are sold they are not exactly huge sellers like jerseys.

I don't honestly think the NFL league office would object to teams using multiple facemasks. It honestly is just more cost, work, and overhead by the teams' equipment staff if hey did that. The NFL doesn't care really when teams make changes or additions to the team pants or socks since those items aren't sold.

I think this is a team level thing as to why this practice of multiple facemask color options really isn't done.

The only team that would have a hard time changing their facemask often would be the Browns. Because their logo is actually their helmet. 

spacer.png

6 hours ago, nuordr said:

I respect your opinion, but highly disagree. Gray facemasks have not been needed on uniforms without gray for about 40 years. The technology has existed for quite sometime to make colored facemasks. Gray doesn't represent "old school" to me, it represents "cheap" and lack of uniformity. 

How is it cheap when a grey face mask costs as much as a colored one?

46 minutes ago, dont care said:

How is it cheap when a grey face mask costs as much as a colored one?

Maybe it’s just a case of thinking “team x” should’ve gone with a proper colored facemask, but opted for a more generic approach? Not necessarily cheaper in cost, but cheaper in thought.

wCQB9gk.jpg

This is my uniform matchup of the year so far, for sure. It’s very likely to stay in that spot the rest of the way too. The bright and vibrant colors of the Chargers contrast so well with the simple silver & white of the Raiders. I only wish this game was in the sunshine so the Chargers colors could have popped even more.

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

A quick reminder of how ridiculous most current teams look with a grey facemask -- especially the Rams, Ravens, Bengals and Cardinals.

usxA5rg.png

Odd. To me, that looks like a quick reminder of how perfectly fine most teams would look in gray facemasks. And how much better Cleveland, Kansas City, and Washington would look.

On 10/5/2021 at 1:58 AM, GoHawks said:

Seahawks are confirmed to be in green jerseys this week based on their cover photo on Twitter. Now the question is if we'll see the return of the green pants or if they'll stick with navy pants. 

It is never not going to be all "action green"

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

wCQB9gk.jpg

This is my uniform matchup of the year so far, for sure. It’s very likely to stay in that spot the rest of the way too. The bright and vibrant colors of the Chargers contrast so well with the simple silver & white of the Raiders. I only wish this game was in the sunshine so the Chargers colors could have popped even more.

I agree on the Chargers. They looked fantastic. 

But I really dislike that Raiders jersey. I realize it's a throwback, but the too-large nameplates and TV numbers really ruined it for me.  The Chargers redesign really set in my mind just how unnecessary TV numbers are in general. This matchup made the point even clearer. 

Archived