Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

On 1/16/2020 at 12:13 PM, NicDB said:

The WS could just as easily stand for White Sox, or at least some variation (WinSox? Wind Sox?).

Dash sounds like a 1980s indoor soccer team.

Apparently, the name Dash is an allusion to the hyphen in Winston-Salem. It makes more sense knowing that, but I agree that they could use a better name.

The Y'all's is actually a FANTASTIC identity...I would applaud the news if it were for a brand-new team.

What I'm still sore about is that the vast majority of fans on social media wanted the Freedom name to stay (which I suspect is why "Keep the Freedom" wasn't on the final rename-the-team contest poll)...any time an ownership group shows that it doesn't care about its fans, it's bad news.

• Like 3

bYhYmxh.png

8 hours ago, MBurmy said:

any time an ownership group shows that it doesn't care about its fans, it's bad news.

I agree.

I worked at the Lake Erie Crushers when they switched colors back in 2017. The new owners took over the team back in 2016 and I remember he thought about changing the name. 

He decided against it, but he gathered fans' opinions during the season to see what they wanted. The fans didn't want the Crushers to go away. He saw that the Crushers identity needed to stay, but just needed to be updated. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Florence Freedom rebrand as Y’alls

January 22, 2020 - 14:14 PM

In 1974, the city of Florence, Kentucky, built a water tower near Interstates 75 and 71 and the site of the future Florence Mall, which would open in 1976. The owners of the mall site gave land to the city […]

Read More...

Tarp Skunks bring baseball back to Jamestown

January 22, 2020 - 23:27 PM

The town of Jamestown, New York, has been without baseball since the short-season Class A Jamestown Jammers left in 2014 for the greener pastures of West Virginia. That void will be filled this summer when Jamestown fields a team in […]

Read More...

On 1/21/2020 at 6:38 PM, NorthStarNines said:

Apparently, the name Dash is an allusion to the hyphen in Winston-Salem. It makes more sense knowing that, but I agree that they could use a better name.

That would make it the perfect name if they actually were an indoor soccer team.

I am all for team identities tied to local culture or fauna, but some of these Brandiose names seem more like inside jokes than names that fans can actually get behind.  Tarp Skunks?  really?  Just as bad as Rumble Ponies, Sod Poodles, etc.    Some of these teams would be better off going full time with their food-truck day names or their Hispanic Heritage names. 

• Like 4

On 1/22/2020 at 2:37 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The Tarp Skunks.  I don't think this name has much staying power

It's a collegiate wood bat league. This isn't about "staying power" or literally anything else other than selling merchandise, which collegiate summer teams rarely do.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

23 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

It's a collegiate wood bat league. This isn't about "staying power" or literally anything else other than selling merchandise, which collegiate summer teams rarely do.

Maybe we're just spoiled in this part of the country where the Northwoods League has avoided the fly by night reputation of a lot of college summer leagues and has actually proven to be more stable than many affiliated minor leagues.  Something they've done with a league full of teams with dignified identities..... and the Green Bay Booyah.

• Like 1