Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

:blink: 

Yeah I worded that poorly.

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

As far as West Coast League operations are concerned, the organization that impresses me is that of the Victoria HarbourCats. No, there's not a lot of "whimsy" on display at Royal Athletic Park, but talk about a team that's created an impressive following. Over the course of seven seasons, the HarbourCats have built-up their average attendance to over 2,300 fans per game, which - again - is pretty amazing given the fact that the city and metro area population in the market is a fraction the size of that which exists in Portland.

But, when it comes to identifying collegiate summer baseball's "equivalent of the St. Paul Saints", the closest you're going to find are the Madison Mallards. In 2001, their inaugural season in the Northwoods League , they finished fourth in attendance, drawing just 1,039 fans per game. In their second season, the 1,973 fans per game that they averaged was good enough to lead the league in attendance. Since earning that honor in 2002, the Mallards have yet to cede the Northwoods League attendance crown to any other ball club. In the 2003 and 2004 seasons, the Mallards drew over 4,400 fans per game. In 2005, they exceeded 5,000 fans per game, pulling in an average crowd of 5,738. The 2006 Northwoods League season saw the Mallards average crowd size rise to 6,056. Over 11 of the next 13 seasons, the Mallards' attendance would exceed 6,000 fans per game. The high mark over the past 13 seasons was 2015's 6,358 fans per game. The "low" was an average of 5,884 in 2010. In all, the Madison Mallards have averaged 5,474 fans per game over their 19 years of existence. On the field, the Mallards have won four division titles, qualified for the playoffs eight times, advanced to the Northwoods League Championship Series on four occasions, and won the league championship twice. Any way you slice it, that's impressive.

Another team that could be discussed, that I think many people might not know about, are the Okotoks Dawgs of the WCBL up here in Canada. They are my team, so I am a bit biased.

They began as a youth travel team program in Calgary in 1996 and started the collegiate team in 2003. They ran into issues in Calgary in 2005 when the Vipers of the Northern League (than Golden League) started and the Dawgs were forced out by the Vipers and suspended operations for the 2006 season. They then moved about half an hour south to Okotoks for the 2007 season at a stadium built specifically for them.

Them being forced out of Calgary was probably the best thing for them. They've been top three in attendance for all of summer collegiate for the past couple seasons and have been top five since 2011, which is as far as I can find on Ballpark Digest. (Obviously, this is helped by the fact they draw from Calgary, which I would have to assume is one of the biggest cities in a summer collegiate market). They've continued to build on the youth program (they're top U18 team was ranked the third best travel team in North America last season) and their stadium and field house are highly regarded. Meanwhile, the Vipers folded after the 2011 season.

They just won their fifth championship last season, with four in Okotoks and one in Calgary.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

On 12/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, Brian in Boston said:

That said, so have the Savannah Bananas... a team that, in addition to being no slouch in the "whimsy" department itself, has averaged 4,083 fans per game, put together an 88-game sell-out streak over three consecutive seasons, and captured the Coastal Plain League's Petit Cup Championship in its inaugural year. And the Bananas have done it in a city and metro area much smaller than that which the Pickles can draw from. 

FYI: I got a phone call from the Bananas organization saying that my order from their team store is coming in a few days.

To wit: their Rainbow Guts jersey:  https://thesavannahbananas.com/product/fandesignjersey/

Wonder what would happen if Savannah and Peninsula wear their 'Bows in the same game (yeah, I know. It's been a minute since Peninsula wore them).

7 hours ago, totc said:

FYI: I got a phone call from the Bananas organization saying that my order from their team store is coming in a few days.

To wit: their Rainbow Guts jersey:  https://thesavannahbananas.com/product/fandesignjersey/

Wonder what would happen if Savannah and Peninsula wear their 'Bows in the same game (yeah, I know. It's been a minute since Peninsula wore them).

As a Bacon fan I am anti-Bananas, but that jersey is dope.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

• 1 month later...

Winston-Salem Dash unveil new logo

January 15, 2020 - 22:59 PM

The Class A Advanced Winston-Salem Dash have ditched their grimacing, speeding, cartoon baseball primary logo in favor of a rounded, classic-feeling WS. The unveiling of the new mark, which was created by the Winston-Salem-based design firm The Variable, was something […]

Read More...

• Like 1

Harrisburg Senators unveil boisterous George Washington logo

January 20, 2020 - 21:37 PM

For the second time this offseason, a Washington Nationals affiliate has unveiled a logo bearing the likeness of George Washington. The high-A Fredericksburg Nationals got the ball rolling back in October with a logo that features a youthful George Washington […]

Read More...

Florence Freedom of the independent Frontier League will reveal their new name tonight. The Top five choices were the Go-Goettas, Fossil Jockeys, Y'alls, Pop Flies, and the No Sox. florenceyalls.com redirects to the Freedom website.

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Florence Freedom of the independent Frontier League will reveal their new name tonight. The Top five choices were the Go-Goettas, Fossil Jockeys, Y'alls, Pop Flies, and the No Sox. florenceyalls.com redirects to the Freedom website.

They're going to be the Y'all's. Ugh... Can we go back to Freedom? 

• Like 3

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

As someone who worked for the Freedom for 3 years and a resident of NKY, I LOVE this change. This had been considered by previous ownership (RIP) almost 8 years ago. I'm happy with it. The colors are nice, too.

Hopefully this will end all the local old people calling their stadium the "Freedom Center" which is the shorthand name for the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center downtown.