2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

I actually cannot remember when was the time conference trophy presentation was done in the locker room.

There was a time when the Lombardi and World Series trophy presentation was done in the locker room, but I think that changed in the mid 90s

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Wow I never really noticed that. Some quick research shows that when the Patriots won at Arrowhead in 2018 they held the trophy presentation in the locker room. Looks like the Bucs got their trophy on the field at Lambeau last year so I guess last year. 

I know a lot of people who went to Kansas City for the game and they said the Chiefs cut the audio and turned off the video on the scoreboards so they couldn't hear or see the trophy presentation. That's some poor loser bullshirt if you ask me, which is weird because everyone said Chiefs fans were overwhelmingly nice before and even after the game.  

After thinking about it more, I wonder if it’s COVID related. Just no as not to cram so many people into a small indoor space. As for why they ever did it in the locker room in the first place, that beats me. It always looked so weird on TV.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

This video was put together by my sister's friend. I am not in it, but I looked a lot like the adult men crying. I don't think we all really understood how much we needed this until it happened. It was so out of nowhere to win that game and it was so out of nowhere to even be in the AFC Championship game that the release of emotions just came pouring out. Up until three weeks ago I had never seen them win a wildcard game and now we're in the dang ass Super Bowl. This is why you watch sports and go through the inherently silly practice of following a favorite team. 

• Like 14

PvO6ZWJ.png

21 hours ago, Sport said:

This video was put together by my sister's friend. I am not in it, but I looked a lot like the adult men crying. I don't think we all really understood how much we needed this until it happened. It was so out of nowhere to win that game and it was so out of nowhere to even be in the AFC Championship game that the release of emotions just came pouring out. Up until three weeks ago I had never seen them win a wildcard game and now we're in the dang ass Super Bowl. This is why you watch sports and go through the inherently silly practice of following a favorite team. 

I’m so happy for the truly long-suffering Bengals fanbase. They’ve put up with more crap than just about any other fanbase in the last 30 years. It’s great to see.

I’ll also say the same thing, to a lesser extent, for Rams fans, just because they’ve had some sporadic success in that span (including a Super Bowl win in 1999, albeit in St. Louis).

Ignoring that sporadic Rams success, both these teams have been either fringe playoff teams at best or league laughingstocks at worst. It’s always great to see teams that have been bad for (what seems like) forever finally be good and break through (again).

Edited by DustDevil61
had
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I’m so happy for the truly long-suffering Bengals fanbase. They’ve put up with more crap than just about any other fanbase in the last 30 years. 

*Browns and Lions fans* Excuse me?

• Like 4

Bengals fans are about to go through an identity crisis. By making the Super Bowl, you're no longer "long suffering." That clock reset after that first playoff win.

It's a great story if the Bengals win, absolutely, but the whole vibe of that fandom is going to be completely different next season.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 minutes ago, Magnus said:

*Browns and Lions fans* Excuse me?

I said “just about any other fanbase.” Of course Cleveland and Detroit have had it worse than Cincinnati—I even had something to say on that but I felt it detracted too much from the congrats to Cincinnati (and also Rams) fans.

Washington and the Jets, at least past 2005 or so, can just about make as good a case as the Bengals IIRC. However, nothing’s going to top losing a team for 3 seasons combined with getting an inferior replacement (Cleveland)—or the overall stench of ineptitude that’s permeated the organization since athletic antiquity (Detroit).  Off the top of my head, I don’t think there’s been more than 2, maybe 3, playoff wins between the Browns (v1.0 or 2.0) and the Lions in the last 30 years, unless I’m missing something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Bengals fans are about to go through an identity crisis. By making the Super Bowl, you're no longer "long suffering." That clock reset after that first playoff win.

I don't know about that. Winning a playoff game was a relief, but getting to the Super Bowl is the reset. The Browns won a playoff game last year, but I'm pretty sure they're still a long-suffering fanbase.

Sidenote: Toledo has basically been the nexus of long-suffering NFL teams and fanbases. Lions to the north, Browns to the east, and Bengals to the south. It's no wonder I went elsewhere for a team. Unfortunately, I still managed to find one of the dumbest franchises to root for.

• Like 7

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I said “just about any other fanbase.” Of course Cleveland and Detroit have had it worse than Cincinnati—I even had something to say on that but I felt it detracted too much from the congrats to Cincinnati (and also Rams) fans.

Washington and the Jets, at least past 2005 or so, can just about make as good a case as the Bengals IIRC. However, nothing’s going to top losing a team for 3 seasons combined with getting an inferior replacement (Cleveland)—or the overall stench of ineptitude that’s permeated the organization since athletic antiquity (Detroit).  Off the top of my head, I don’t think there’s been more than 2, maybe 3, playoff wins between the Browns (v1.0 or 2.0) and the Lions in the last 30 years, unless I’m missing something.

Heck, if I am not mistaken, the Lions have one playoff win since their last NFL championship... 

• Like 4

I saw, I came, I left.

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's a great story if the Bengals win, absolutely, but the whole vibe of that fandom is going to be completely different next season.

You are right. This is a magic carpet ride. This is the most fun I've ever had with this team, but unless we have to wait another 33 years to go back the next time will never be as fun or sweet as this because we're going to be ruined with expectations and our dumbest fans will get mouthy. I lived in Seattle when they went to their second straight Super Bowl and by then people were more entitled. Walking around town now people just have this "can you even COMPREHEND this???" vibe. With most things, nothing is ever like the first time, which is why I'm just trying to savor this whole experience. 

• Like 9

PvO6ZWJ.png

This Super Bowl is a bit of a weird one for choosing who to root for. My heart immediately says, "Ooh, big bad LA trying to beat up on poor little Cincinnati!" Logically, though, the Rams' window is probably closing real soon... they have an old QB, they've been trading away their high draft picks every year, I'm assuming their salary cap situation isn't great. If Joe Burrow is the real deal, the Bengals probably have a good shot at being a contender going forward. It's probably the closest my rooting interests have been in a long time.

33 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

This Super Bowl is a bit of a weird one for choosing who to root for. My heart immediately says, "Ooh, big bad LA trying to beat up on poor little Cincinnati!" Logically, though, the Rams' window is probably closing real soon... they have an old QB, they've been trading away their high draft picks every year, I'm assuming their salary cap situation isn't great. If Joe Burrow is the real deal, the Bengals probably have a good shot at being a contender going forward. It's probably the closest my rooting interests have been in a long time.

Can I make two simple pitches for the Bengals?

1. Stan Kroenke 

2. If the dang ass Cincinnati goddamn Bengals can win the f***ing Super Bowl then anyone can. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

If the dang ass Cincinnati goddamn Bengals can win the f***ing Super Bowl then anyone can. 

Not for nothing, but...that ship sailed two decades ago when the Tampa doggone Bay Buccafreakineers won the Super Bowl. (And now I feel old...ugh.) Granted, it took them firing the coach who built the squad and trading two 1st-round picks and $8M in cash for another head coach to do it, but the point is they did it--which is why I can completely understand what you and every other trueblood Bengals fan is feeling right now. Yes, definitely savor every second of it. Second chances are rare in this league. (Especially when Mike Brown is still the owner...which again I identify with because Malcolm Glazer.)

Now the real test, should Cincy emerge victorious next week, will be what happens with fans outside Cincinnati--of which I don't suspect are many if any unless they have ties to the Cincy or Ohio area. (There's exactly one guy in this town up here who is a Bengals fan and that's because he's from Louisville KY, and he chose the Bengals over the Colts before he moved up here.) As long as the fanbase outside  Cincy doesn't turn into what the Chiefs bandwagoners did over the past 2-3 years--or worse, what the Saints wagoners became after '06 and especially after 2010 (I had a front-row seat to both of those rounds--oh GAWD)--they'll be straight. I personally don't see the Bengals fanbase becoming even slightly entitled...but I've been wrong before.

At any rate, here's to Cincy raising the Lombardi next weekend 🏆 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||