MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

Nobody should be forced to alter their surname. That’s a little disrespectful.  There’s other ways to handle it, even if they’re not necessarily the most aesthetically pleasing or easy to do.  

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know the Cardinals use thinner letters, but also have "tighter" kerning with them. Compare Paul Goldschmidt's name to TIm Anderson's. Goldy has 11 letters in his last name, yet covers about the same amount of space as Anderson, who's name only has 8 letters.

St. Louis Cardinals fans get shocking news on All-Star duo

Back from suspension, Anderson helps White Sox rout Tigers

I've noticed this with a lot of teams, having the letters spaced different along the radial arc.

Randy Arozarena. 9 letters. Look how far down the jersey it goes.

World Series: Rays rookie Randy Arozarena sets MLB postseason record with  ninth home run - CBSSports.com

Now Goldy's a bigger guy than those two, but it seems to be more of a placement problem than jersey size.

• Like 3

^ And that there underscores my previous question: is there a good reason MLB teams can't just simply use smaller surname letters?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Guardians really did it right with their new uniforms. Enough continuity with the prior identity but enough new to make them stand out. 

(I do wish they’d add red brims to their helmets at home. That bugs me. )

• Like 13

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

The Guardians really did it right with their new uniforms. Enough continuity with the prior identity but enough new to make them stand out. 

It really turned out to be the perfect rebrand for them. 

The Commanders should have taken notes. 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 1:40 PM, McCall said:

I know the Cardinals use thinner letters, but also have "tighter" kerning with them. Compare Paul Goldschmidt's name to TIm Anderson's. Goldy has 11 letters in his last name, yet covers about the same amount of space as Anderson, who's name only has 8 letters.

I think Anderson wears a smaller uniform than most, so there's just less real estate to cover. I've noticed the arch of his name being more severe, too. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just realized that this Cardinals/Phillies series is a matchup of the only two teams that have chainstitched jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, the admiral said:

I think Anderson wears a smaller uniform than most, so there's just less real estate to cover. I've noticed the arch of his name being more severe, too. 

If you look at Arenado's, his name is one less letter than Anderson's. His style would actually fit Anderson's jersey size better without going so far down. Which boggles my mind that the White Sox and other teams space them so far apart.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, BJ Sands said:

I’m with the people in the replies here who said some version of the statue shown on this banner would make a better primary logo than the winged G ball they went with, but otherwise, the current set is mostly OK. As the Commanders have shown, it could have been much worse.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Ark said:

Why do teams keep trying to call Cleveland The Land

From what I understand "The Land" has been a local nickname/reference since at least the early '90s. B.O.N.E. (That us, BTNH) mentioned the phrase in one of their early records. It's not near as ubiquitous as "ATL" or "CHI-town", though. So it's not entirely out the ordinary, though I think the Cavaliers tried to "bring it back" during LeBron's last couple seasons in Cleveland...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

I’m with the people in the replies here who said some version of the statue shown on this banner would make a better primary logo than the winged G ball they went with, but otherwise, the current set is mostly OK. As the Commanders have shown, it could have been much worse.

I'd be all for using some version of that statue as a logo, except I have a hard time envisioning something that isn't either A) too detailed or B ) too whimsical, in a Joe Bosack kind of way. (No offense to Mr. Bosack, of course.) 

• Like 1

I think the G logo is the only negative in an otherwise great rebrand.  I think both they and the Football Team had a pretty solid challenge in terms of abandoning a long-standing name and trying to keep some franchise continuity. I think both names are OK (Guardians slightly better) and the teams avoided disastrous expansionesque names. But the Guardians (in probably less than half the time) came up with a visual identity that really keeps the franchise intact. The Commanders had the opportunity to do that and they acted like they were the Titans when in reality, they're more like all of their division rivals.  From the neck-down they looked pretty good and the "W" helmet could complement that pretty well. They should have waited one more year and learned from Cleveland...

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

14 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I think the G logo is the only negative in an otherwise great rebrand.  I think both they and the Football Team had a pretty solid challenge in terms of abandoning a long-standing name and trying to keep some franchise continuity. I think both names are OK (Guardians slightly better) and the teams avoided disastrous expansionesque names. But the Guardians (in probably less than half the time) came up with a visual identity that really keeps the franchise intact. The Commanders had the opportunity to do that and they acted like they were the Titans when in reality, they're more like all of their division rivals.  From the neck-down they looked pretty good and the "W" helmet could complement that pretty well. They should have waited one more year and learned from Cleveland...

Or not let Ms. Dan Snyder run/ruin the asylum. 😄

The more I look at the Guardians identity, the more I get kind of a DC Comics vibe from their primary logo--which isn't a bad thing by any means. I DO like that they G logo stands apart from all the others in MLB (and from most of the rest of major pro sports primary logos) in style & structure. I wonder if they might've pressed a bit more into either the classical Greco-Roman art vibe some, but I'm cool with what they have now.

As for WTF, well...that's exactly where I am with their identity: W...T...F??? Their primary W is actually very solid for what it is and what it needs to do. The rest of it, however? Aside from the burgundy and saffron/sunflower/cornbread/maize/call-it-whatever-you-want shade of yellow, the whole rest of it need to find its way out an antimatter container, ejected out the nearest airlock, and detonated with a photon torpedo.

• Like 1