MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

I do like these. I've always been anti-blue for the Angels,  so I'm not a huge fan of the blue numbers, especially given how red the rest of the jersey is.

My biggest issue is the Los Angeles sleeve patch. I think it's a wild move for this to be the first jersey appearance of "Los Angeles". It's a City Connect jersey, but they went with the surfing SoCal connection which would make sense given the reticence of the Angels to use Los Angeles anywhere, especially at home, and Arte probably wouldn't want an Anaheim themed jersey, so SoCal is a nice middle. But the Los Angeles patch is weird because the jersey doesn't reference Los Angeles (or Anaheim for that matter) at all. So it's a City Connect that doesn't directly reference either city the team is connected to and the release speaks to "Southern California", but they still went with the first appearance of the city least represented by the City Connect.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

56 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

A surfing theme for a city that doesn't touch the coast lol.

To be fair, Anaheim is in Orange County, and Orange County is very much known for surfing. And let's be honest, SoCal is just kind of one big city anyway.

This uniform reminds me of the Rockies' in the fact that its very busy with details, but they all make sense and work together. Very classy, I wish that the Angels would use more of this kind of aesthetic. That Angels script is especially nice.

Nike has been on top of the City Connect uniforms for the most part this year. Very detail oriented without being nonsensical. If you're going to do something a bit crazier, might as well go the full 100 yards, and they've done that better than last year. I appreciate the change of pace, given baseball's and MLB's reputation with the younger crowd today.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Quite frankly, the Angels didn’t get the memo on what City Connect is. This is more taking a page out of the Rays’ book and coming out with a fauxback, as these look like what the team would have looked like if they’d appeared a decade earlier.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

56 minutes ago, LMU said:

Quite frankly, the Angels didn’t get the memo on what City Connect is. This is more of taking a page out of the Rays’ book and coming out with a fauxback, as these look like what the team would have looked like if they’d appeared a decade earlier.

Exactly right. One of the better looking CC uniforms, but after reading the presser pointing out all the surf culture elements, I thought, great idea. But, uhhh… that’s it? This is just a mid-century PCL team. 

29 minutes ago, sitboaf said:

Exactly right. One of the better looking CC uniforms, but after reading the presser pointing out all the surf culture elements, I thought, great idea. But, uhhh… that’s it? This is just a mid-century PCL team. 

Well we have the rockies and their state connect uniform now we get the laa unveiling a county statistical MSA connect uniform.

I said it before, but I actually really like the Angels city connect stuff, despite both being a fan of most of the city connect series. Upon searching if hats were on sale (they are, and crazy expensive), I saw these shirts.

ff_4374324-1de93cc5f04572ee4a03alt1_full

I kinda like the light blue in there and am curious why it's on this shirt (on the men's one too, so it's not just "pastel = ladies color" merch) and nowhere else. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

I said it before, but I actually really like the Angels city connect stuff, despite both being a fan of most of the city connect series. Upon searching if hats were on sale (they are, and crazy expensive), I saw these shirts.

ff_4374324-1de93cc5f04572ee4a03alt1_full

I kinda like the light blue in there and am curious why it's on this shirt (on the men's one too, so it's not just "pastel = ladies color" merch) and nowhere else. 

It's weird.

I think it's also weird that the shirseys are red and not the cream.

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, LMU said:

Quite frankly, the Angels didn’t get the memo on what City Connect is. This is more taking a page out of the Rays’ book and coming out with a fauxback, as these look like what the team would have looked like if they’d appeared a decade earlier.

3 hours ago, sitboaf said:

I think you two just verbalized my issues with the jerseys when they were leak. They are nice jerseys, but they don't really feel like City Connects (for better or worse) because they aren't connecting to a city.  It does just look like a fauxback or if the PCL Angels decided to get wild.

They had two cities to pick from, went the safe route by picking neither and going with a general area theme which both the Anaheim teams already have "claimed", but yet still picked the one city that fits the City Connect concept/the "meaning" of the jersey the least (see my post at the top of this page).

I'm not saying they needed to have an anthropomorphic orange surfing while wearing Disneyland Mickey ears, but I think there's a certain level of connection to the city/area missing (mostly because they don't have a city to connect to).

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for anything with a retro beach aesthetic, but I honestly might like these more than Colorado. The asymmetrical stripes work better than I would have anticipated, and I really like how the red pairs with the "sand," especially with the front panel of the cap. The logos are definitely more "fun" than their main identity, too.

I do agree with @coco1997 though, I don't understand the Angels aversion to gold. I think it'd work much better than silver, adding to the SoCal beach vibe. I would also put the new "A" on the roundel, as opposed to their regular one.

I think the City program has thrived so far with teams whose main identity leaves something to be desired, like these Angels, the Rockies, and Houston. For more iconic brands, such as the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Giants, their designs don't really do anything to add to the overall identity, but rather only detract.

Overall, the designs are a lot better so far this year than they were last year, I'd say.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LMU said:

That's a good thing. These are easily the best of the series. That A logo is the best logo they've ever had. It looks like a classic uniform with a few quirks, instead of wacky for the sake of wacky.

The Dodgers didn't really get the memo either, and put in less effort. "Slap Los Dodgers on there and make the sleeves look sweat-stained. Done."

spacer.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I think you two just verbalized my issues with the jerseys when they were leak. They are nice jerseys, but they don't really feel like City Connects (for better or worse) because they aren't connecting to a city.  It does just look like a fauxback or if the PCL Angels decided to get wild.

They had two cities to pick from, went the safe route by picking neither and going with a general area theme which both the Anaheim teams already have "claimed", but yet still picked the one city that fits the City Connect concept/the "meaning" of the jersey the least (see my post at the top of this page).

I'm not saying they needed to have an anthropomorphic orange surfing while wearing Disneyland Mickey ears, but I think there's a certain level of connection to the city/area missing (mostly because they don't have a city to connect to).

Missed opportunity...should have used this as inspiration and turn it up to 11

spacer.png

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

If the numbers are navy blue and there is a navy blue sleeve patch, the batterman logo on the back should also have blue in it, it should be red, white, blue.

not red, white, red.

I know it's a very minor detail.

but as a jersey and detail nerd, that bothers me. Because the different colors of the MLB logo is always a great touch.

• Like 1

Random thought: the Arizona Diamondbacks should come with a cap logo with interlocking letters, eg 'AD' to match the cap logos of all the other teams in the NL West 

• WOAH 1

I saw, I came, I left.

3 hours ago, adsarebad said:

If the numbers are navy blue and there is a navy blue sleeve patch, the batterman logo on the back should also have blue in it, it should be red, white, blue.

not red, white, red.

I know it's a very minor detail.

but as a jersey and detail nerd, that bothers me. Because the different colors of the MLB logo is always a great touch.

If they wanted blue in the batterman logo, pretty sure they would have went with their regular blue, white, red batterman.

I kinda like the two-toned red logo as the darker red is found nowhere else outside the beveling of their main look. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.