MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

Here’s the link to all of this weekend’s matchups:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/what-your-club-is-wearing-for-mls-week-8

Of note, both New York clubs are wearing their secondaries at home in their respective matchups. The rest of the matchups are pretty much what you’d expect.

All clubs will be wearing special numbers to recognize Juneteenth, with the jerseys being auctioned off afterwards and proceeds going to local organizations:

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

On a visual level those Atlanta thirds give me a Virginia Tech vibe.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of them using the peach color again tbh. I'm guessing the reason they didn't use gold though is because they'd look too similar to the current training shirts. 

Honestly, if Atlanta is going to deviate from their main color scheme on a kit, I would want it to be the colors of the Atlanta flag. 

Amazon.com : Fyon Georgia Banner City of Atlanta Flag 3x5ft : Garden &  Outdoor

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I couldn't tell if I was listening to Big Rube narrate this after one too many cigarettes or not but...on the whole, I see what they were going for. And I think they, um, "nailed it".  But "bright orange", though? Isn't that supposed to be "peach"?

Now, all that to the side: what is with MLS's rapid obsession with nicknaming their kids these days??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So I noticed the ATL UTD Unity kits disappeared from MLSstore.com last night. That may be because a Hebrew phrase on the kits was spelled backwards. Some people were pointing this out on Twitter before and during the launch yesterday.

As I wrote on the mothership, the Hebrew phrase meant to be included on the shirt is תיקון עולם‎ (tikkun olam, or “repair of the world” in English), and it is spelled correctly in a graphic on the team’s website. The photos provided by the club don’t clearly show that particular phrase on the shirt, but the first word is visible in one retweeted by club during the launch event Thursday, and the characters are in reverse order (confirmed this with a Hebrew speaker).

E4ISFe7XEAEu_gd-1.jpg

It's a good phrase for the shirt, given the theme. 

I suspect that Hebrew being written right to left is probably the reason for the misprint. Either the program they used for the text couldn't handle it or someone who wasn't super familiar with the language laid it out wrong.

The jerseys are back up on MLSstore.com, and a blank replica version has the phrase corrected. But other jerseys on the same page do not.

Screenshot-2021-06-18-105503.png

(Click image for larger version)

Personally, I still doubt we're going to see these kits on the field Sunday, and anyone who orders them now might have to wait a while for them to ship.

3 hours ago, officeglenn said:

So I noticed the ATL UTD Unity kits disappeared from MLSstore.com last night. That may be because a Hebrew phrase on the kits was spelled backwards. Some people were pointing this out on Twitter before and during the launch yesterday.

As I wrote on the mothership, the Hebrew phrase meant to be included on the shirt is תיקון עולם‎ (tikkun olam, or “repair of the world” in English), and it is spelled correctly in a graphic on the team’s website. The photos provided by the club don’t clearly show that particular phrase on the shirt, but the first word is visible in one retweeted by club during the launch event Thursday, and the characters are in reverse order (confirmed this with a Hebrew speaker).

E4ISFe7XEAEu_gd-1.jpg

I can confirm the text in the photo above is indeed spelled backwards (left to right, not right to left - the letters themselves are correct-facing). Oof.

patriotssignature.png

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

The jerseys are back up on MLSstore.com, and a blank replica version has the phrase corrected. But other jerseys on the same page do not.

Screenshot-2021-06-18-105503.png

(Click image for larger version)

Personally, I still doubt we're going to see these kits on the field Sunday, and anyone who orders them now might have to wait a while for them to ship.

Now that I look at these: perhaps maybe THIS is the colorway ATLUTD should have gone with in the first place.   (I know why they went with what they did' I'm just sayin', though.)  Unique among both MLS and the major pro leagues on this side of the Atlantic; thus they could own it.  

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

In addition to the Hebrew error, it's pretty weak that they ripped off "A City United" given that that was a pretty impactful phrase from Manchester City and United following the terrorist attack in Manchester in 2017.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

5 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Agreed. I'm not a fan of them using the peach color again tbh. I'm guessing the reason they didn't use gold though is because they'd look too similar to the current training shirts. 

Honestly, if Atlanta is going to deviate from their main color scheme on a kit, I would want it to be the colors of the Atlanta flag. 

Amazon.com : Fyon Georgia Banner City of Atlanta Flag 3x5ft : Garden &  Outdoor

Nothing personal, but can all sports franchises and sports fans just stop with this 'use the colors of the city/state flag' thing that has boiled over out of control the past few years? That Atlanta flag is practically the same design and colors as about 2/3 of the state flags and the flag has no inherent visual originality that reads as 'Atlanta', and I doubt that flag is as ubiquitous, beloved or original as the Chicago, DC, Colorado, and New Mexico flags.

Of course, there's also the entire mess with Texas' love affair with its flag...

13 minutes ago, schlim said:

Nothing personal, but can all sports franchises and sports fans just stop with this 'use the colors of the city/state flag' thing that has boiled over out of control the past few years? That Atlanta flag is practically the same design and colors as about 2/3 of the state flags and the flag has no inherent visual originality that reads as 'Atlanta', and I doubt that flag is as ubiquitous, beloved or original as the Chicago, DC, Colorado, and New Mexico flags.

Of course, there's also the entire mess with Texas' love affair with its flag...

"Tell me you know nothing about Atlanta without telling me you know nothing about Atlanta."

While you make a valid point about it not being ubiquitous like some of the other flags you mentioned, the flag contains the phoenix and reads "Resurgens". Resurgence is in fact the name of one of ATL UTD's supporter groups, and it is a well known saying that Atlanta rose from the ashes of Sherman's March like a phoenix rises from the ashes. You can find seals all over the city that have the rising phoenix. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, schlim said:

While I understand your frustration with an apparent overabundance of city/state flag-inspired sports jerseys, the fact of the matter is these flags are often the easiest way to directly connect a team to a city utilizing design. These flags already use design to represent a city/state's history, values, and culture, thus, using that flag as inspiration also transfers those representations to a sports team. These flags are also easy ways to inspire civic/state pride - again, this pride is connected to the team through flag-inspired designs.

Basically: Flags are awesome and flag-inspired jerseys are also awesome.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived