Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, YNWA said:

Team President Jason Wright said that per NFL rules " a color from the home or away uniform must be present for it to be used on a 3rd jersey, hence the black trim on the white uniform"

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

If that's not the epitome of BFBS then I don't know what is.

It also doesn't pass muster when a/ the Chargers have royal and navy blue alts when neither color is anywhere in either of their primaries; and b/ the Rams, who have not an ounce of black in their identity thus far, are (according to what some say on here, rumored to be) getting a black alternate either next season or the one after.

Not faulting Mr. Wright if that's what he was told...but whoever passed him that info was ill-informed.

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, YNWA said:

Team President Jason Wright said that per NFL rules " a color from the home or away uniform must be present for it to be used on a 3rd jersey, hence the black trim on the white uniform"

That must not apply to certain qualifying aspects such as fauxbacks then, because I immediately thought of the Chargers. There is neither a presence of royal blue nor navy blue on their main home / road set consisting of powder blue, gold & white.

I suppose this apparent league rule would mean that the Rams will not be permitted to utilize a black alternate, thus spelling the end of those speculative rumors.

Also, I imagine nothing would prevent them from flip-flopping the status designations of the white & 'Bone' jerseys for future seasons (hopefully sooner than later), since their royal blue jersey does have that back neck tag logo application above the nameplate, which barely contains an ever-so-slight slither of 'Bone'.

However, as has been suggested by several others before, the floodgates opened in 2020 for the Colts to venture toward a proverbial 'BFBS' path, what with the random addition of 'Anvil Black'-colored Nike 'Swoosh' emblems to their white jersey.

6 hours ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I would think you would spend more than 2 months on jersey designs. They def show the lack of time associated with it. 

So basically Nike came up with 3 design options and Snyder went “perfect, start making them” while barely glancing away from his ever growing pile of lawsuits. Nike man goes “sir, you sure about that? These are options for you to choose from, not a full set” which Snyder reply’s “I SAID THEY’RE PERFECT, NOW GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!!!”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

As someone who stated multiple times that Washington should take some pointers from a few college teams…

I fear I may have strayed too close to the sun 

Heed your tale, Icarus...

In all seriousness, these uniforms feel more like a hodgepodge of different college uniform ideas without having some nod to the past of the team (besides the championships in the crest logo). I feel like at least keeping some design cues (like the number font) would work better instead of reinventing the wheel.

rAUPGPZ.png

On 2/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, CS85 said:

There are countless high schools around the country that exist on a shoestring budget whose uniforms and identity are more original and well-executed than this, and I think I know why:

This is what happens when you let a rich idiot design a football team's identity.  This whole brand reeks of some young, full of crap aristocrat asking his dad to buy the Mercedes F-150 Tungsten Limited Denali Platinum Reserve pickup that gets .04 MPG, putting in cheetah pattern leather upholstry, hanging some truck nuts off the back, and then selling it 3 years later with less than 1000 miles and the sale paperwork still in the glove compartment after he drove it to class a few times blaring Florida Georgia Line and donning a '47 brand Alabama cap and a Carhartt jacket so he can impress a cheerleader he plans to rufee at the next barn party.

They don't understand what a football identity is, they don't understand how branding a sports team works, they don't comprehend cohesion in uniform elements, they don't respect tradition from a uniform perspective, they don't know what they're doing in the least.  They throw money at it and get all the options, slapping every possible football-y college trend possible at it in hopes that it gets some decent marketing response.

It's all a complete and total failure, orchestrated by frauds and executed by fools.

Can confirm once you get doing bigger level jobs, more "visionaries" think they also understand design, or worst, design by committee. 

The only thing you get is something that nobody likes, but nobody hates.  

There isn't much to hate about this (the white jersey is up there,)  but its devoid of anything to like. 

This to me reeks of design by committee.  When I read Snyder's wife was in charge of uniforms, I knew it was going to be a :censored: show.  

• Like 2

Not for nothing, but it was stated that Ms. Amy Adams Strunk was heavily involved in the Snatit's current uniforms designs, as well...

...Not trying to pile on or insinuate anything; I'm just saying.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The more I sit with this the more this becomes my least favorite set in the NFL. 

At least when the Titans wear light blue pants, Falcons don’t go monochrome and the Jaguars emphasize teal, the colors make the sets tolerable and I still like all their helmet logos.  

This only has 1 combo I can tolerate (Burgundy/White/Burgundy, unless gold pants are actually a tangible thing), a helmet with a crappy logo with a terrifying alternative option and pants and socks with the least personality in the NFL. 

• Like 8

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

2 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

This only has 1 combo I can tolerate (Burgundy/White/Burgundy, unless gold pants are actually a tangible thing), a helmet with a crappy logo with a terrifying alternative option and pants and socks with the least personality in the NFL. 

Let's be honest, they're likely not a thing. The black pants are going to be the alternate pants and we'll be seeing them used with the other jerseys at some point this next season. I have no faith the team that couldn't even keep it's rebrand from leaking would be able to hide an entire piece of their uniform ensemble until the season starts.

With how minimized yellow is on the jerseys, I'd frankly be shocked if they even considered yellow pants.

3 hours ago, YNWA said:

On 2/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, GFB said:

For example, incorporating black into the road uniform may have been a directive from the Washington market research team or it may have been a prerequisite from the NFL saying that if they want an all-black alternate uniform they need black on the primary uniform somewhere... but the blame for executing it the way they did still falls on Nike (and their designers).

I can't say it enough, but there's a difference between something being mandated to you and how you choose to go about solving that issue with design. The Colts were given the same dilemma with their graphite color and chose to make the Nike swoosh grey on the road uniforms... which was not an ideal design solution, but it solved the problem a helluva lot better than just replacing all the gold with black like the Commanders did.

3 hours ago, YNWA said:

If they're so desperate to add black to the color scheme, 40 miles up the road, look at the Ravens road jersey, swap out the purple with burgundy.  

4 hours ago, YNWA said:

If that's the case, couldn't they have just pulled a Colts move and put black swooshes on the white jerseys while leaving the letters, numbers and stripes burgundy and gold?

Hmmm. Should we be worried about Indy breaking out black alternates?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

14 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

If that's the case, couldn't they have just pulled a Colts move and put black swooshes on the white jerseys while leaving the letters, numbers and stripes burgundy and gold?

Hmmm. Should we be worried about Indy breaking out black alternates?

It's Dan Snyder and his wife running the WFT, remember. Even Jim Irsay and company have more self-control than those two buffoons have ever shown.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, YNWA said:

Hopefully this rule will mean that the Rams 4th jersey they’re set to debut next year will be their “Sol” rather than the feared BFBS alt. 

• Like 4

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

2 hours ago, selgy said:

Anyone know when the new WFT uniforms will be released? those from yesterday cant be the real thing...can they

These aren't the WFT uniforms, they're NFT uniforms. They're unsightly, beloved by rich idiots, and almost certainly part of a front for money laundering.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

51 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's Dan Snyder and his wife running the WFT, remember. Even Jim Irsay and company have more self-control than those two buffoons have ever shown.

Well, if these new allegations hold up perhaps both the Mrs. Snyder and the NFL will push Dan out of his controlling position. New Snyder Misconduct Allegations. Then a new, better owner can come in and we’ll get a new, better set of uniforms that are, you know, uniform by 2027.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nuordr said:

According to Trucolor.net,

The Burgundy (#651C32), Gold (#FFB81C) and White(#FFFFFF) are the same as before. The black is completely new #010101. 

@TruColor Isn't that correct?

I'm about 99% sure the Burgundy and Gold aren't changing. Don't have the official specs yet however.

The Black though - that's just what I use to represent a digital version of Black. NFL teams primarily designate Process Black C as their Black (well, everyone except Carolina, who uses Black 6 C). Using PANTONE Process Black or PANTONE Black in their digital forms just look wrong and washed-out when used in RGB.

My usage of digital Black (or RGB Black) works since the RGB values (R1 G1 B1) mathematically convert to Process Black for four-color printing (C0 M0 Y0 K100).

• Like 2